What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pick a place - your honest expectations in 2006...

Where will the Panthers finish in '06?

• Total voters

choc_soldier

Coach
Where do you think Penrith will finish in 2006?

Your honest expectations...

I will take a stab and say 7th. But that is reliant on us playing to our full potential and a centres combo that is more than just half decent.

Caged Panther

First Grade
I've always though 5-8th so I've gone for the middle road in saying 6th. I think it very much depends on our centres.

When they started to get it together at the end of last year we looked alot better unfortunately it's likely we'll have two new centres come Rd 1.

Raider_69

Post Whore
cant see em doing much
good spine (1,6,7,9) but not much outside that... they will struggle
but the spine is too good to take out the spoon... ive gone 12th

Fibroman

First Grade
Before selecting, I did not read any other comments.

I selected 7th. That is on the proviso that Lewis plays centre and remains injury free.

If we have major injuries to Gower, Campbell or Lewis during the season.......forget it.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
cant see em doing much
good spine (1,6,7,9) but not much outside that... they will struggle
but the spine is too good to take out the spoon... ive gone 12th

Puletua, Waterhouse, Pritchard, Clinton, Lewis, Rooney have all played reps and Rodney was one of our best towards the end of last season. Its not like these guys can't play. One problem is some of these players are a little too similar in style and don't offer anything too confusing for the defence. If their attitude and hunger is right they will form part of a powerful unit, with the 1,6,7 & 9 likely to perform strongly if the forwards do their job.

I don't think the squad is much weaker. In some parts the signings outweighed the losses. I definately like what I see of Norrie alot more than Crossman and Lee Hookey obviously has some raw talent, but hasn't gone far in his career at Souths. But I remember he scored 14 first grade tries in a season once, can't be that bad. I'll take Hookey over Franze too thanks.

I've gone for 6th. But another good season with injuries like in 2003 could see us even higher.

Probably the toughest obstacle to overcome is the difficult early draw all away from the newly upgraded stadium. But if we get through that ok, then look out!

The Piper

Juniors
8th
The 'spine' as R69 calls it are the key, but a lot will depend on the forwards taking another step up this year again. If the halves and hooker stay on the paddock and the big men make the big yards, we will make the 8.

Munky

Coach
Our forwards don't need to improve at all IMO.

They were statistically the best in the NRL last season. Just look at how they trampled the eventual premiers when we got some ball.

The backs are our key.

JJ

Immortal
for me, as for pretty much everyone else, the questions are over the centres.. and to some extent who will replace Ross and Crossman.

Forwards, halves and fullback still look good. Lewis needs to step up, and the Gower distraction might have an impact. SHould make the top 8 IMO

Munky

Coach
JJ said:
...and to some extent who will replace Ross and Crossman.

Ross is a big loss, Crossman is a nuffy who didn't improve at all in first grade. Matt Cross replaced him and is twice the player. Crossman had a game where he made 3 hit ups, 3!

Crossman is an ordinary defender aswell, he's a bigger shirt grabber than Pitchard.

*Sandy*

First Grade
I have to agree with you on Matt Cross Munky. With his inclusion in the late half of season there was certainly an impact shown from him. Impressed me greatly!!!

The Rhino

Juniors
Benny Ross had big wraps on Matt Cross. Jeez, we could have virtually had the same sort of replacements as we did back in 2003, when Benny came on for either Joely or Marty. Bloody shame we had to let Benny go.

pantherz9103

First Grade
JJ said:
for me, as for pretty much everyone else, the questions are over the centres.. and to some extent who will replace Ross and Crossman.

Forwards, halves and fullback still look good. Lewis needs to step up, and the Gower distraction might have an impact. SHould make the top 8 IMO

Should prove a blessing in disguise ;-)