What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pick the side for the 1st Test Vs Sri Lanka.

Macca

Coach
1. Hayden
2. Langer
3. Ponting
4. Martyn
5. Lehman
6. Katich
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Lee
10. Gillespie
11. MacGill

12. Kasprowitz

Fairly predictable really. The only change I could see is Symonds for Katich, but that would be a bit rough on Katich. I know Punter and Buck both love Roy though.

Anonymous

Juniors
1. Hayden
2. Langer
3. Ponting
4. Lehmann
5. Katich
6. Gilchrist
7. Symonds
8. Warne
9. Gillespie
10. Lee
11. MacGill

12. Kaper

I've left out Martyn, more hoping than anything else. I think the fact that he was rested frm the tour match pretty much assures him a spot :(

S2H

Juniors
They have to let him go one day. Why not now.

Earl your side has my vote.

weasel

First Grade
I would go for the same team as you, Earl. Unfortunately all signs are pointing to Martyn playing and one of Katich or Lehmann missing out. The stupid thing is that Martyn's most recent test form, stretching back quite a while, has been awful, whereas for Katich and Lehmann it's the opposite.

Macca

Coach
He will be there and that's fair enough. I wouldn't want to be him if he fails over there though.

Martyn still averaged 42 against India even though he didn't make a big ton.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Based on form:

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Lehmann
Katich
Gilchrist
Symonds
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
MacGill

12th Kasprowicz

Its really hard to pick, I like to see Lehmann, Katich and Symonds in the team.

Macca

Coach
I hope Marto comes out and blazes a big one. This guy is still very valuable to the side!

S2H

Juniors
I hope he mixes the drinks really well and brings Lehmann, Katich and Symonds
a change of gloves on their way to a 100. Marto cant remember what that is like.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
My Side

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Lehmann
Martyn
Katich
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
Kasper

Williams

What I think we will see

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Lehmann
Symonds/Katich
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGill

Kasper

I think if Ricky has his way Symonds will play, if the selectors over rule him we'll see Katich. I am not suggesting Katich is unliked by the Ponster, by he is a self proclaimed Symonds supporter. Either would do the job, both are international standard.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Surely Katich "cannot" be dropped, he scored a ton in Sydney and backed it up with a not out 50 in the second innings.

If Symonds was to come into the side for someone it would be Martyn.

CyberKev

Staff member
Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Lehmann
Symonds
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
Kasprowicz
Magill

12- Katich

Its certainly hard on Katich, but they have flagged the intention of running with form players in Sri Lanka, and Symonds is certainly that. They could choose Katich at the expense of Kasprowicz, but I expect that would leave the bowling too much on the lean side.

CyberKev

Matt23

Staff member
Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Lehmann
Martyn
Katich
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
Kasprowicz
12th man - Symonds

Anonymous

Juniors
I think when it comes to Martyn, knight04 signiture tells the Story.

700 odd days since his last test century.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
PARRA_FAN said:
Surely Katich "cannot" be dropped, he scored a ton in Sydney and backed it up with a not out 50 in the second innings.
There is a precedent - Martin Love's last test innings was 100no, has not played since - granted in was Bangladesh, but you can only beat what is in front of you.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think MsSharkie got it right first up.

It may not be our team, as Earl has pointed out, but it will be the selectors team.

The 12 may change if it is not a spinning wicket, with Stuey out and Kasper in, but chances are they will prepare a "Murili" type wicket.

From all reports Boof will replace Tugga and Katich should not be dropped on form.

As for Roys all round ability, Katich could be a good foil for Warne, as I believe Katich could do the job of the Chinaman, that Hoggy would have done if he was in the team.

Anonymous

Juniors
Lee is apparently injured so excluding him:

1-Langer
2-Hayden
3-Ponting
4-Martyn
5-Katich
6-Gilchrist
7-Symonds
8-Warne
9-Kasprowicz
10-Gillespie
11-MacGill

12-Williams

Katich, with 125 and 80 odd not out was Australias best performed player by far in the last test in Sydney. Also his run a ball 116 in Sri Lanka has to keep him in the side.

Symonds has shown that he has come a long way and deserves a berth. This should be at Lehmann's expense IMO as I think he is looking toward the past when we should be looking to the future (while I'm on that, where the hell is Clarke?!?!?!?!?!).

Kasper and Dizzy are the perfect opening pair. Even if Lee was fit I'd go for them. Dizzy is, well, Dizzy and Kasper has the ability to bowl like McGrath, that is, with control, line and length.

Alan Shore

First Grade
1. Langer
2. Hayden
3. Ponting
4. Lehmann
5. Symonds
6. Katich
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Kasprowicz
10. Gillespie
11. MacGill

12th man: Lee/Williams

Kasprowicz is our best quick apart from McGrath (that's how high I rate him) and Gillespie can keep bowling tight. We need a two-prong spin attack, and dropping Martyn allows us to have Symonds, Katich AND Lehmann. We need all three, as all play the spin easily and effectively.

Anonymous

Juniors
Agree 100% on Kasper Tamazoid.

Were it not for Mark Taylor who hated him, he would have played lots more in the baggy green.