What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pick the side for the 1st Test Vs Sri Lanka.

CyberKev

Staff member
McSharkie said:
I'd take Lee over Kaspa.

Yes,

but only on a full-on green top.

Kasper is a smarter, more diverse and harder working bowler and would give better value on wickets that don't provide extra pace and natural assistance.

CyberKev

I think Warne will be our only spinner in the match. We will take Symonds/Katich and Boof as the other spinners. Kaspa and Dizzy will get a run and Williams or Lee the other spot if Lee isn't too bad it will be him.

Doctor

Bench
Whatever the side named, it will be tough one a couple of players - there simply isn't enough room to accomodate for everyone who deserves a spot.

My tip:

Hayden
Langer
Ponting

Martyn
Lehmann
Katich
Gilchrist

Warne
Gillespie
Kasprowicz
MacGill

This leaves out Andy Symonds who probably deserves a spot and isn't just an additional bowler to the squad - clearly his spot in the squad is a tactic. They will use him as a Funky Miller style option - except with batting capabilities.

Come to think of it, Symonds may well be in there - I just don't know who to leave out. MacGill perhaps? Warne even?
Depends what the selectors want, and what type of pitch is on show.

Alan Shore

First Grade
MacGill has bowled more overs though, Timbo.

Even if Lee was fit, I wouldn't pick him. Kaspa and Gillespie have it all over him. Damn Mark Taylor - how could he hate Kaspa?

aqua_duck

Coach
Surely they can't leave out Katich if form and especially form on spinning wickets is anything to go by. A century and a half century not out in his last test, a current 1st class average of 52, a current test batting average of 65 and a current test bowling average of 27, add to that his century in the recent tour match, you'd be crazy to leave him out.

SirShire

First Grade
Katich would have to be a sure pick.

Symo and Lehmann will be be hard, with both in top form and scoring tons in the tour match.

SirShire

First Grade
Exactly. Give him one test to prove his worth. If not, drop him so we can have an inform batting order.