What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pick your core NSW side to build around

Spot On

Coach
1. Hayne
6. Campese
7. Pearce (or Soward, but if I was a NSW I would be concerned with 2 small halves, so 1 of these guys and Campese)
9. Farah

Piggies; TLL, Watmough, O'Donnell

Campese is nothing short of atrocious. Showed some form nearly two years ago when he was killing it with his running game. Now he fails to stand out against sh*t opposion missing their better players.

D

Deleted member 10972

The core:

1. Dugan

7. Pearce

9. Ennis or Farah (choose one and stick with it)

13. Lewis

Once that core is built, the next step is picking the centres and props:

Idris or Lawrence for the big, line-running centre spot
Jennings or Morris as the strike centre spot
Mannah and Galloway as the explosive props
Snowden and Douglas/Tolman as the workhorse props

Once they are done, work on the backrow and wing spots:

Watmough as the linebreaking backrower
Heighington as the workhorse backrower
Gallen as the bench backrower
Bird as the utility backrower
Hayne or Gordon as the speedy, supporting winger winger
Uate or Morris as the big aerial target

That only leaves the five-eighth in question - Sutton or Campese or Carney or Mullen or Soward. Plenty of options, but they need to find the most consistent player to compliment Pearce.

There you have a decent team built from young talent, with experience in just the right areas.

Geohood

Bench
1. Hayne
2. B. Morris
3. Jennings/Lawrence
4. Gasnier
5. Morris
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Snowden
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Watmough
12. Gallen
13. Lewis (c)

14. Bird
15. Mannah
16. Douglas
17. TLL

Big Pete

Referee
Out of their current squad...

Jarryd Hayne (Fullback or Left Wing)
Mitchell Pearce (Halves)
Anthony Watmough (Backrow)
Luke Lewis (Backrow)

I can see Dugan becoming an Origin player.

watatank

Coach
While there are other players who will be more automatic selections than these players (particularly in the interim) I'd be looking to build the NSW team around these players.

6 Soward
7 Pearce
9 Farah
10 Tolman
13 Fensom

Soward is part of a group of very talented five eighths but he's the one who has shown the most consistency IMO. Pearce is a long way ahead of his competition is really the most obvious pick of the lot. While Farah/Ennis threads are rather tiresome, Farah is a better player. Whether that makes him a better fit is another story but I'd have him there anyway. I don't think we have begun to scratch the surface with Tolman yet. If he didn't get injured he would've already been there at Origin and he's only going to improve. I'm not sure how many have/would name Fensom but NSW really need someone who can tackle all day, a bit like Hindmarsh or Johnson. Everyone loves an impact forward but not everyone can be that type of player, half the game is still about defence too.

Big Pete

Referee
Aye, I like Fensom.

I see a lot of Raiders players coming into the NSW side. Dugan, Croker, Thompson and Fensom could all potentially make a fist of it.

GB!

Juniors
stewart
hayne
lyon
farrah
campese
watmough
lewis
TLL

keep these guys together, pick the best available (not out of position) and NSW might get close within 8 or so years

joseph1

Juniors
Carneys an interesting one. He shows promise. I still think hes rusty though. Been making simple handling errors too often. He needs to settle at 6 for the roosters and iron out the poor aspects of his game first. But he could be a good long term option. I believe Daniel Mortimer will be a great half once he gets to 24/25 years old. Needs 100 first grade games to learn his craft then well see how good his bloodline is. Pearce/Mortimer would be a cool combo in my opinion.

clipser

Juniors
Stewart will return to form (pending his trial and current injury) but by god he looked good for the most of his first game back.. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

Spot On

Coach
Aye, I like Fensom.

I see a lot of Raiders players coming into the NSW side. Dugan, Croker, Thompson and Fensom could all potentially make a fist of it.

Canberra would have to start winning for some of those blokes to get a shot wouldn't they?

ironhorse

Juniors
The core:

1. Dugan

7. Pearce

9. Ennis or Farah (choose one and stick with it)

13. Lewis

Once that core is built, the next step is picking the centres and props:

Idris or Lawrence for the big, line-running centre spot
Jennings or Morris as the strike centre spot
Mannah and Galloway as the explosive props
Snowden and Douglas/Tolman as the workhorse props

Once they are done, work on the backrow and wing spots:

Watmough as the linebreaking backrower
Heighington as the workhorse backrower
Gallen as the bench backrower
Bird as the utility backrower
Hayne or Gordon as the speedy, supporting winger winger
Uate or Morris as the big aerial target

That only leaves the five-eighth in question - Sutton or Campese or Carney or Mullen or Soward. Plenty of options, but they need to find the most consistent player to compliment Pearce.

There you have a decent team built from young talent, with experience in just the right areas.

This i like .Makes sense , can't argue with much of it . :clap:
I'd like to see much of this combo at least tried in Game three , why not .

Azkatro

First Grade
This thread just goes to show that NSW have no real natural leaders amongst their top players... For years, QLD were picking the likes of Lockyer, Cameron Smith, Civoniceva and Steve Price. All of whom were/are/have been club captains and are natural leaders on the field.

Talanexor

Juniors
Campese IS a good player, but he's a five-eighth, not a halfback. He's having to get into first receiver at club level because McCrone is woeful and the hooker is nearly as bad.

NSW won't pick Soward because he's too small and as for the idiot saying he's 'consistent' he was in and out of first grade until last season, and he's been pretty poor for most of 2010. Decent player, but not up to Origin.

1. Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Jennings/Lawrence/Thompson
4. J Morris
5. B Morris

6. Campese
7. Pearce
8. Snowden

9. Farah
10. Weyman
11. Fensom
12. Gallen
13. Lewis

14. Bird/Carney (x-factor - lewis can cover most positions)
15. Watmough
16. Douglas
17. Mannah

Hayne's best asset at fullback is his playmaking - which he won't have to do with Farah, Campo & Pearce in the team. Dugan's positioning at fullback is much, much better.

Campese because he's big (NSW won't risk two small halves) and more consistent than Sutton. Pearce because you need a halfback and he;s the best youngster available.

Snowden and Mannah are two of the best young props going around and Fensom because NSW need that player who can make 50 tackles a game.