What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pietersen in the eye of a storm

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/270556.html

A lot of us agree on saying racism shouldn't be ignored and never tolerated. 10 out of 10 for Pieterson for speaking out the truth. Pity the spineless ICC may ban him for a few tests or ODI's because of it

South African board demand action after magazine interview

Pietersen in the eye of a storm

Cricinfo staff

December 1, 2006

Kevin Pietersen back in South Africa during England's 2004-05 tour © Getty Images

Kevin Pietersen has found himself at the centre of a storm after comments made in an interview with the South African edition of GQ magazine led to the South African board (CSA) writing to the ICC and England board (ECB) demanding that action be taken.

At the heart of the furore are comments made by Pietersen concerning events that led to him leaving South Africa and moving to England. He claimed that he was forced out of the game in South Africa because of racist policies against white players. There is a quota system where each first-class team in South Africa is expected to contain at least four non-white players.

What is more surprising about the timing of CSA's complaint is that Pietersen's comments have been aired many times before, including in his autobiography Crossing The Boundary published in September.

If the ICC decide there is a case to answer then he could be charged with bringing the game into disrepute, which covers inappropriate public comment. It carries penalties ranging from a ban of two to four Tests or four to eight one-day matches.

It emerged yesterday that CSA demanded an ICC investigation, claiming that his comments amounted to accusations of racism against the country's cricket system. CSA also asked the ECB to take action against Pietersen for his constant criticism of Graeme Smith, South Africa's captain.

The South African authorities are also thought to be livid at implications made by Pietersen over match-fixing. "At the end of the day (cheating) is wrong," he was quoted as saying. "But I can see how it happens. Hansie copped a lot more than he should have. I think he took the brunt for the players. There are a lot of people who I think that have done stuff that people don't know about and got away with it."

Pietersen's comments about the appointment of Ashwell Prince as South Africa's stand-in captain also rankled. "I just thought it was further evidence that things were going downhill ... it's got nothing to do with the colour of his skin. It's just that better players are being left out for political reasons and until that system changes, South African sport will continue to go downhill.

"I've got some mates who are now on the fringes of playing domestic cricket in South Africa who are better than three or four of those players in the South African side. I've got a very good mate who is actually a better player than me, who is now working for SA Breweries, because he can't get into the side for political reasons and that's wrong."

azza

Juniors
IMO Pietersen is 100% correct. It is absolutely ridiculous to not pick players based on their colour or race. Similarly, it is stupid to pick them because of those very traits. The whole point is to pick the 11 best players, based on their cricketing ability alone, to represent your nation. If they are 11 whites, so be it. If they are 11 blacks, so be it. Who cares about race?

By maintaining the racial quota policy South African cricket is doing itself, and world cricket, harm rather than good. They should concentrate on injecting funds into promoting the game amongst under-privileged groups of people instead. What those clowns in the SA Cricket Board don't seem to get is that the mistake of Apartheid was not to do with discriminating against people with dark skin. The mistake was to discriminate against people based on the colour of their skin. By maintaining the racial quota policy, this mistake is being repeated.

gregstar

Referee
the part of his comments i'd like investigated is the accusation that other were involved in match-fixing.

Red Bear

Referee
Hmmm
I think its rediculous that SA has quota's on their national sides, as that should simply be best players picked. However i dont have a problem as much with quota's at first class level as the coloured south africans hsould be encouraged into the sport.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
players should be picked on their merits not their skin colour

these token selections are a joke

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport...Pietersen could face four-Test ban/article.do

Pietersen could face four-Test ban

Kevin Pietersen could be hit with a ban of up to four Test matches or eight one-day internationals if the International Cricket Council investigate a furious complaint from South Africa over his constant criticism of their policies.

The South Africans have been incensed over his latest magazine interview in which Pietersen blasts their strategy of minimum racial quotas and suggests that Hansie Cronje may have been the fall guy for others in their system who were corrupt.

They are now demanding that the ICC bring a disrepute charge against the England player, who was tackling Australia in the second Ashes Test.

That covers 'inappopriate public comment' and is the same tier of offence levelled against Pakistan skipper Inzamam Ul-Haq for refusing to take the field at the Oval in August. The potential penalty is a ban from between two and four Tests, or from four to eight one-day internationals.

The patience of the South Africans, who have also protested to the England and Wales Cricket Board, appears to have snapped after an interview he gave to GQ magazine.

They have written to the ICC demanding that they investigate derogatory comments about the appointment of Ashwell Prince, who became the country's first non-white captain when Graeme Smith was injured.

Cricket South Africa also wants the anti-corruption unit to look into his suggestions that Cronje was the scapegoat for others who may have been involved in match-fixing and got away with it.

Pietersen has said for several years that he was driven out of the country's cricket system because of racial policies which currently insist on at least four non-white players being in every first class team.

He has also repeatedly attacked Smith, and in this latest interview describes him as 'an insignificant nobody."

In his recent book, Crossing the Boundary, Pietersen calls Smith 'an absolute muppet, childish and strange.' He also says that the South African captain has 'personality limitations' and that his behaviour 'leaves a lot to be desired' while lambasting again the quota systems in his native country's cricket.

Referring to the appointment of Prince he told the magazine: "I just thought that it was further evidence that things were going downhill. It's got nothing to do with the colour of his skin. It's just that better players are being left out for political reasons and until that changes South African cricket will continue to go downhill.

"I've got some mates who are now on the fringes of domestic cricket in South Africa who are better than three or four players in the South African side."

He makes references to his friend and former Natal team-mate Grant Rowley, who he cites as a more talented player than himself, but who now works for a brewery, allegedly because of the system.

Cricket SA wants the anti-corruption unit to look into his comments about Cronje, and if they are found to be unproven seeks to have him punished for making false claims.

"At the end of the day cheating is wrong...but I can see how it happens," says Pietersen. "Hansie copped a lot more than he should have done. I think he took the brunt for the players. There are a lot of people who I think have done stuff that people don't know about and got away with it."

Whether a new investigation if feasible is open to question but South Africa has some formidable clout within the world game.

ICC President Percy Sonn is a Cape coloured who is a strong advocate of the racial policies within his country, and he was also at the heart of the controversial decision to drop umpire Darrell Hair from the elite international panel after complaints from Pakistan.

There are concerns within Pietersen's former country that his comments are fuelling right wing elements who are against the policy.

Selection matters continue, however, to be an emotive topic there and only last week Smith was said to be furious at a decision to leave out fast bowler Andre Nel from a one-day international against India.

Pietersen left South Africa for his mother's country of birth after being overlooked by Natal and waited four years to qualify and play for England.

England's Ashes preparations suffered unwanted disruption yesterday when assistant coach Matthew Maynard flew home to Wales after a family accident.

Maynard's wife Sue has broken her arm and hip in a fall at their house in Cardiff and he left at lunchtime to be with her as England prepared for today's second Test against Australia.

The former Glamorgan and England batsman is Duncan Fletcher's main sounding board on the tour, and brought him into the set-up after their successful association with the Welsh county.

It is not yet known when Maynard will return, but it is hoped to be before the third Test, which begins in Perth on December 14.

England have already lost Marcus Trescothick from the tour due to depression and brought out Ed Joyce, but there are no plans to bolster the backroom staff.

i get the impression he doesn't like blacks much.

TheParraboy

Staff member
He has also repeatedly attacked Smith, and in this latest interview describes him as 'an insignificant nobody."

In his recent book, Crossing the Boundary, Pietersen calls Smith 'an absolute muppet, childish and strange.' He also says that the South African captain has 'personality limitations' and that his behaviour 'leaves a lot to be desired' while lambasting again the quota systems in his native country's cricket.

I cant argue with that :D