What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pieterson/Thorpe/Bell/Jones...who should play?

sanjane

Juniors
Who do you guys think will give England the biggest chance? IMO, Thorpe must play, Bell deserves to play, so to accomodate K.P, perhaps, they can drop Jones? Flintoff is a 3rd seamer anyway, and Giles is a useful toiler in tests. What do you guys think?

That 3rd seamer position is England's weakest. they've considered anderson, jones among plenty others (tremlett, lewis etc) and none of them have been great in either form of the game.

aussies1st

Staff member
Hard call for the English. Don't know if England could go the 4 bowlers like Aus does so that would mean the selectors have to drop one of those 3 players. Pietersen definitely should be in the team as he is a match winner, Thorpe is the other guy i would pick as he has experience which would work perfectly with Pietersen inexperience.

Their 3rd paceman spot looks to be going to Jones but those 2 others you mentioned could make it

gregstar

Referee
thorpe should play
pietersen shouldn't.

trescothic
strauss
vaughan
thorpe
bell
flintoff
g jones
giles
hoggard
s jones
harmison

As an Australian supporter, I hope Pietersen doesn't get selected, however I think if Australia wins the first test and he isn't there, watch England find room for him. Personally, if I were an English selector, I would go for players who have already had a good look at the Aussies like Pietersen. I also think Giles is a weak link for the poms. In fact, other than Harmison and Flintoff, their bowling doesn't offer alot. Flintoff moreso for his ability to bowl line and length, and bowl a good yorker. I would go:

Strauss
Trescothick
Vaughan
Thorpe
Pietersen
Bell
Flintoff
G Jones
Giles (but more likely Hoggard)
Jones
Harmison

Flintoff can play as an extra quicky, with others to bowl part time. I'd also be tempted to open with Vaughan, considering his outstanding record against Australia. His dominance against them in Australia is the best I've seen from anyone. Although his form recently hasn't been anything like that, he is capable of scoring big 100's from the top.

Tommy Smith

Referee
JC, you've forgot about our best Test match bowler over the last 6 months - Matthew Hoggard.

With the new ball he has been outstanding and has a great knack of consistently picking up wickets with the new ball. Quality swing bowler.

For the 1st Test i'd go with:

1-Strauss
2-Trescothick
3-Vaughan
4-Pietersen
5-Thorpe
6-Bell
7-Flintoff
8-G. Jones
9-Giles (maybe Simon Jones, can't decide)
10-Hoggard
11-Harmison

AJK07

Juniors
Squad named: Pieterson in for Thorpe.
Tremlett reserve seamer.

Cant say I agree with the first. Out of the two, I would have prefered Thorpe. Wish Pieterson well though.

Warne might have got his way.

aussies1st

Staff member
Pietersen i would definitely have as he is explosive and you dont find them just anywhere. These guys are the way to beat aus, look at India with Sehwag and NZ with Cairns and Oram they took on the Aus attack and scored 100s. Attack is the only way against aus

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
In such an important game, I would start off with Thorpe

He plays well against the Aussies

I would then assess it after the first test

aussies1st

Staff member
If anything Pitersen should have come in for Bell its not like Bell has much experince

borat

Bench
http://sportinglife.com/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=cricket/05/07/13/manual_065606.html

Official Squad:

1. Michael Vaughan (Yorkshire) (captain)
2. Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
3. Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire)
4. Ashley Giles (Warwickshire)
5. Stephen Harmison (Durham)
6. Matthew Hoggard (Yorkshire)
7. Geraint Jones (Kent)
8. Simon Jones (Glamorgan)
9. Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire)
10. Andrew Strauss (Middlesex)
11. Chris Tremlett (Hampshire)
12. Marcus Trescothick (Somerset)

So Tremlett should be the 12th man meaning the batting line up should be something like this (please correct me if I am wrong here). This team is seriously lacking a middle order rock like Thorpe. I don't like Englands chances should they lose the first toss.

1. Trescothick
2. Strauss
3. Vaughan
4. Bell
5. Pietersen
6. Flintoff
7. G Jones
8. S Jones
9. Giles
10. Hoggard
11. Harmison

fish eel

Immortal
Pieterson has to play.

I think he'll play eventually during the series, so he should be there from the start, no point bringing him for arguments sake down 2-0.

Also, isnt there a doubt about thorpe's fitness?

aussies1st

Staff member
fish eel said:
Pieterson has to play.

I think he'll play eventually during the series, so he should be there from the start, no point bringing him for arguments sake down 2-0.

Also, isnt there a doubt about thorpe's fitness?

Thats the main reason he was left out because of his lack of game time in the middle

swing_low

Juniors
Ian Bell has a test average of 297. Yeah he hasnt played much, but really, when your in form your in form.

borat

Bench
swing_low said:
Ian Bell has a test average of 297. Yeah he hasnt played much, but really, when your in form your in form.

He has played 3 tests, 1 vs the West Indies and 2 vs Bangladesh all at home.

We will see what he is made of.

Red Bear

Referee
Why oh why didnt they pick thorpe, got 97 and 47 in a county game while the test was on and is what they really needed. Should drop Giles or Hoggard, hoggard bowled poorly. I though simon Jones was the pick of the bowlers in the second innings.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I agree. i was amazed that they went with Bell ahead of Thorpe. The strange thing was is that there was never even the slightest conjecture about Bell's position.

He scored 150 vs Bangaladesh so he must be a certinaty right?...Pietersen always had to play. He clearly has an X factor...an attitude where he isnt intimidated one bit by the Aussies. He's special.

And Thorpe is the experienced battler in the middle order that had to be selected. He's a fighter with a proven record against Australia.

The English selectors have continued to make a few clangers unfortunately.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it was going to be Thorpe ahead of Peitersen

They made the right choice in Peitersen, but Bell ??

He needs to watch the ball out of Warnie's hand, or he won't be playing too many more test matches

lockyno1

Post Whore
Twizzle said:
He needs to watch the ball out of Warnie's hand, or he won't be playing too many more test matches

Na, I would love him to play the rest of the series! He just adds to McGrath's and Warne's wicket tally!

Latest posts