What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Piggins backs Rabbitoh move

DIEHARD

----
By Peter Badel
May 22, 2005

SOUTHS supremo George Piggins says club management should bite the bullet and relocate to Gosford in a move that would end the Rabbitohs' 97-year existence in Sydney.

In a stunning claim, Piggins said a move to the Central Coast was now Souths' most viable option after the City of Sydney council last week rejected his fourth blueprint for a $43 million redevelopment of Redfern Oval.

Piggins, the Souths leagues club chairman, will fight the council's decision at a meeting tomorrow night. But he concedes his dream of returning Souths to their traditional base has been destroyed.

Failing a return to Redfern, Piggins says the club's only hope lies in a move to the Central Coast, which would secure the Rabbitohs $8 million as part of the NRL's relocation package.

Piggins' stance is dramatic considering he led Souths' emotional fight for reinstatement after they were axed by the NRL in 1999.

"I thought we could rebuild Souths at Redfern - but now that's not going to happen we should bite the bullet and move," an emotional Piggins told The Sunday Telegraph.

http://[img]http://adserver.news.co...rt&section=nrl&adsize=300x250&pagepos=1[/img]I was running the South Sydney football club I'd give great thought to going to Gosford. I really would. It's time to look at the Gosford offer. The leagues club will probably stay here but it would be wise to relocate to Gosford.

"The council seem to have made their mind up that it (a new stadium at Redfern) is not going to happen. It virtually means Souths don't have a future in the district - we're clearly not welcome.

"If we go to Gosford, it's the demise of South Sydney as we know it. It hurts. But we can't come back to Redfern - the government has said there are no games to be played there at all.

"Clover Moore (Sydney Lord Mayor) is effectively forcing rugby league out of the district, it is a disgrace."

In a bid to bolster the club's long-term tenure in Sydney, Souths chief executive Shane Richardson brokered a deal with Telstra Stadium in March.

The $5.2m deal will see Souths adopt Telstra as its new home ground for four years starting in 2006, and include a guaranteed profit of $100,000 per game.

But Piggins said the move threatened to become decidedly grim, particularly if the Rabbitohs continued to struggle and attract paltry crowds.

"It (a small crowd) would be like a pimple on a pumpkin. Going to Telstra is a gamble, it's a worry that's for sure," Piggins said.

The Rabbitohs have a healthy supporter base on the Central Coast, shown by the 16,162 who attended their clash with Newcastle in round five.

But Souths chairman Nick Pappas slammed the notion of relocation.

"That is not something I stand for and not something the vast majority of Souths fans stand for," he said. "We are the quintessential Sydney club. South Sydney should be the last team people should be looking to move out of Sydney."

An extract of the council's report said: "[South Sydney] is holding onto the past too much and insufficient time is being devoted to the future."

The Sunday Telegraph

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,15367465-23214,00.html

How could anyone be suprised that the council rejected the Redfern plan.

"That is not something I stand for and not something the vast majority of Souths fans stand for," he said. "We are the quintessential Sydney club. South Sydney should be the last team people should be looking to move out of Sydney."

:thumb

The Bunnies must stay in Sydney.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
They have fans all over the eastern seaboard, I wonder how many of them are actually from Redfern.

Its this type of "traditional" thinking, that sends clubs broke.

I think Piggins is a lateral thinker and its his vision that may see them prosper.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
South Sydney should stay because they are the self-proclaimed "Quintessential" sydney team ?

That statement is as mythical as "huge dragons army", it doesn't exist in reality, only in the mind of a deluded few.

Reality is that souths are a marginalised club, surrounded by superior perfomers on all its borders, eating away at it's support. It's "tribal" aspect is old and decaying as it has had no real success for over 35 years, much like the how the Magpies died on the vine.

The sad part is that this club with a culture of failure and mediocrity is now seeking to dump their carcass oto the poor people Gosford. How much of th culture of the Central Coast will be expressedin this venture ?

Or will it be a bunch of losers making a fortnightly trip up from Redfern.

They will still think like losers, act like losers, be losers. All that will change is that they will be losers in a different post code.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Couldn't help yourself could you DIEHARD

And we deathride the GC bid... :rolleyes:

DIEHARD

----
dodge said:
Couldn't help yourself could you DIEHARD

And we deathride the GC bid... :rolleyes:

Idiot this is a Souths issue. And I am against the Rabbitohs relocating to the Central Coast, a move seen by many as cutting off Norths only chance of reinstatement.

This thread is about Souths. You must be the dopiest merkin on LU. :lol:

I think you would be crazy to move Souths. Souths will make $5.2 million out of Telstra over four years to stay in Sydney. Not too bad when compared to a one off $8 million payment.

Souths given a competitive team can become the pride of the league again. No other team is capable of drawing the crowds and support they could if successful.

Only Souths can bring in crowds comparable to the Swans and Waratahs, or similiar to Melbourne AFL teams. They can do this if they are competitive.

Souths are heavily sponsored, have high profile supporters and nearly everyone has a soft spot for them. They have 12,000 football club members. And the new Telstra deal will just add further strength to the Bunnies.

Souths also are a catalyst for drawing good away crowds. They will spike the interest of fans of teams they are playing. Manly, St George, Roosters, Parramatta... Souths can help bring back more tribalism to the game.

Souths Sydney are an asset to rugby league. Once they get a great team on the park nothing will stop them and the benefits for the rugby league will be amazing. Money couldn't buy the good they could bring to the game.

I'm not willing to support flushing this opportunity down the drain.

Unfortunately their losing culture is getting ridiculous. And it will turn off players from joining the club and if Souths secure a big name it will be at great expense. An unfortunate hurdle.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
DIEHARD said:
Souths given a competitive team can become the pride of the league again.

It's not 1968 anymore, they have no chance. No one identifies the culture of that Souths with the Souths of 2005.

No other team is capable of drawing the crowds and support they could if successful.

Only Souths can bring in crowds comparable to the Swans and Waratahs, or similiar to Melbourne AFL teams. They can do this if they are competitive.

Rubbish. The Bulldogs by themselves aren't too far away. A Roosters with free reign in the entire city and eastern suburbs fringe of Sydney would go close too without the cancer of Souths eatting away at it.

The Eels in 2001 showed what large scale support they have. Granted a vast majority of Eels fans are fairweather, but I feel that has more to do with the culture of fitzy.

Penrith wouldn't be too far way either.

Souths are probably bottom of the Sydney, and if anything Souths p*ss poor efforts in the CBD are contributing to the success of the Swan and Waratahs rather being a vehicle to take support away.

Souths are heavily sponsored, have high profile supporters

'b' begets 'a'

and nearly everyone has a soft spot for them.

They are a cancer on the game. They bring failure to many areas of the game that would otherwise be a success. People have a soft spot for them because for 35 years they were harmless and just about a guaranteed win.

They have 12,000 football club members. And the new Telstra deal will just add further strength to the Bunnies.

Yes, when they play Melbourne next time at Telstra, I can see every one saying "This team is a success for sure" as they count 6,500 people drowned in 76,000 empty seats.

Souths also are a catalyst for drawing good away crowds.

Ficticious

They will spike the interest of fans of teams they are playing. Manly, St George, Roosters, Parramatta... Souths can help bring back more tribalism to the game.

There's a difference between tribalism and nostalgia.

"Ahhh, I remember 25 years ago when we played Souths at Brookvale, we won that day 54-6"... history does repeat itself when it comes to souths.

Souths Sydney are an asset to rugby league. Once they get a great team on the park nothing will stop them and the benefits for the rugby league will be amazing. Money couldn't buy the good they could bring to the game.

Nothing could be further from the truth. They are a cancer on the game, taking good money after bad in the range of millions. Millions used to propogate petty empire builders to ensure themselves high payers jobs for people that wouldn't contribute a great deal to society.

The Roosters, Bulldogs, Broncos, Panthers, North Queensland. These time of clubs are good business models building solid foundations for our sport.

Souths are still in the chook raffle mentality

I'm not willing to support flushing this opportunity down the drain.

Opportunity ?

How many times do you need to spend millions of dollars to see it wasted on the efforts Souths have produced. To change this club, you need to flush every pr*ck out form the CEO to the guy who cleans the trash bins, once you do that it isn't souths anymore.

It's an empty shell that can be used anywhere, and should be used elsewhere like the Central Coast. That said, the CC shouldn't have a culture of failure dumped on them as seeds for a new organistion.

Unfortunately their losing culture is getting ridiculous. And it will turn off players from joining the club and if Souths secure a big name it will be at great expense. An unfortunate hurdle.

SO kick them out and start afresh at the CC, not a relocated failured culture like Souths or Norths, but their own culture.

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
I hope they do go there it will be great for Souths and Rugby League. If they don't I don't see how they will last long term a move to the CC will ensure a strong future. There will be more deaths or mergers in Sydney in the next 20 years. They need to move while they still have the chance!

OVP

Coach
Twizzle said:
They have fans all over the eastern seaboard, I wonder how many of them are actually from Redfern.

Its this type of "traditional" thinking, that sends clubs broke.

I think Piggins is a lateral thinker and its his vision that may see them prosper.

LOL at Piggins being a lateral thinker. Thats the funniest thing ive ever heard. In his very first year as Chairman in 1990, Souths went from the minor premiership to the wooden spoon. They have never even looked like making the eight under his "regime of stupidity and crying poor mentality". Is that lateral thinking as well ? Souths will NEVER prosper while he is anywhere near that club. Pappas and Richardson are Souths' future, NOT old man Piggins.

Piggins is the most inept and useless person who has been involved with Souths in their entire history. I bet the vast majority of Souths fans dont believe he's a lateral thinker at all. I bet they wished he pissed off for good.

OVP said:
LOL at Piggins being a lateral thinker. Thats the funniest thing ive ever heard. In his very first year as Chairman in 1990, Souths went from the minor premiership to the wooden spoon. They have never even looked like making the eight under his "regime of stupidity and crying poor mentality". Is that lateral thinking as well ? Souths will NEVER prosper while he is anywhere near that club. Pappas and Richardson are Souths' future, NOT old man Piggins.

Piggins is the most inept and useless person who has been involved with Souths in their entire history. I bet the vast majority of Souths fans dont believe he's a lateral thinker at all. I bet they wished he pissed off for good.

I agree with what you say about Piggins....but on Pappas and Richardson....

What have they done for the club since they have been there?

I think they have somehow managed to make the club worse then it was before.

OVP

Coach
nospam49™ said:
I agree with what you say about Piggins....but on Pappas and Richardson....

What have they done for the club since they have been there?

I think they have somehow managed to make the club worse then it was before.

Perhaps you should venture onto the Hutch and ask that question. Ask the Souths fans themselves the differences between Piggins and Pappas already. Dont ask me, im not a Souths fan. But i think you'll be surprised with the responses.

http://www.rabbitohs.com/hutch/

But i cant resist with my thoughts anyway ... ;-)

I think its unfair to say Pappas and Richardson have been worse when
a) theyve only been there a year or two.
b) theyve inherited a disgraceful mess from that joke Piggins. Not even Jesus could turn that club around in a year or two. Its going to take time, but at least they are professionals unlike Piggins and his bovver boys.

As a regular reader of The Hutch, its been riveting reading in the last 5 years about Piggins' ineptitude. You will get laughed at if you suggest Piggins was better for Souths than Pappas and Richo. Believe me.

nqboy

First Grade
I don't agree. Piggins saved the club by coaching for free in the 80s, taking the club to the finals several times. Then he led the fight for re-inclusion. I'd go so far as to say it wouldn't have happened if George hadn't led the fight.

I don't agree with everything he does (the return to Redfern push is one) but Souths have a lot to thank him for.

It's interesting to see Pappas back Richo up with a "never, never" core promise about the CC. I'll see what he thinks in four years time.

OVP

Coach
nospam49™ said:
I couldnt be bothered at the moment.....but what do they say?

lol you lazy bugger

take a read of this thread about this very issue, and bookmark it. Its bound to increase in size by tomorrow or the day after, to many pages in length. Piggins only wants to move to the Coast to save his white elephant of a Leagues Club. They hate him like poison lol.

Here's a teaser by a poster called King Rabbit

"George Piggins - You are a ****ing disgrace to this club and everything we've ever stood for.

We are only now recovering after 13 years of absolute incompetent management and you have the hide to once again use the media to push your own agenda.

Well news flash Georgey Boy - we were never going to Redfern, never. Option 4 was a joke. It was never ever ever going to happen.

I hope someone prints this out for you (we all know you won't) and you read the contempt that a whole generation of supporters now have for you."

http://www.rabbitohs.com/hutch/showthread.php?t=7491

AlexM

----
i still dont understand why they have been re-admitted to the NRL!

How often do you hear Souths fans and administrators saying 'yeah we will be competitive next season'.

But year after year they keep failing and lucky they didnt win the wooden spoon in 2002 thanx to the bullkebabs and their cheating of the salary cap.

Id say its about time to kick souths out of the NRL and make way for the CC and GC!

OVP said:
lol you lazy bugger

take a read of this thread about this very issue, and bookmark it. Its bound to increase in size by tomorrow or the day after, to many pages in length. Piggins only wants to move to the Coast to save his white elephant of a Leagues Club. They hate him like poison lol.

Here's a teaser by a poster called King Rabbit

"George Piggins - You are a ****ing disgrace to this club and everything we've ever stood for.

We are only now recovering after 13 years of absolute incompetent management and you have the hide to once again use the media to push your own agenda.

Well news flash Georgey Boy - we were never going to Redfern, never. Option 4 was a joke. It was never ever ever going to happen.

I hope someone prints this out for you (we all know you won't) and you read the contempt that a whole generation of supporters now have for you."

http://www.rabbitohs.com/hutch/showthread.php?t=7491

I tryed to register but it said both of my e-mail addresses have been banned. Maybe because they are both free e-mail accounts.

Anyway, you've given me a pretty good rundown. Im not saying Piggin was any good at running the club at all. Im just saying that for all the hot air from the current administration....especially the bloke that loves to see his own head on TV or in a newspaper.....not a great deal has changed.

Ah Souths.....it brings the nospam49 back to his very first posts on any message board over at OZLeague.

At one point when describing Souths I used the phrase "Eat the a***hole out of a dead dog". :D

We have 14 competitive teams in the premiership and Souths. Unfortunately for Souths They seem to lurch from one disaster to the next. I actually think they wiull be worse of next season then they have been in any of the previous 5 years. Big name players don't want to go there. They pay overs for middle of the road players. Players careers go backwards at Souths. They have become a cancer on the game. I don't think relocating Souths is the answer. It might be time for Souths to do what Newtown have and drop down a rung and drop out of the NRL. Because they are not up to scratch and are the one club that has shown no progression over the previous 5 seasons. That way the GC and CC cam come in and we have a 16 team comp.

Southern Rooster said:
We have 14 competitive teams in the premiership and Souths. Unfortunately for Souths They seem to lurch from one disaster to the next. I actually think they wiull be worse of next season then they have been in any of the previous 5 years. Big name players don't want to go there. They pay overs for middle of the road players. Players careers go backwards at Souths. They have become a cancer on the game. I don't think relocating Souths is the answer. It might be time for Souths to do what Newtown have and drop down a rung and drop out of the NRL. Because they are not up to scratch and are the one club that has shown no progression over the previous 5 seasons. That way the GC and CC cam come in and we have a 16 team comp.

Imagine if they dumped Souths and brought in the Gold Coast and maybe a second Brisbane side.

What a boost for the game that would be. Two clubs entering the competition that would instantly get very good support.

OVP

Coach
nqboy said:
I don't agree. Piggins saved the club by coaching for free in the 80s, taking the club to the finals several times. Then he led the fight for re-inclusion. I'd go so far as to say it wouldn't have happened if George hadn't led the fight.

But you see, it was Piggins' incompetance that led to Souths being thrown out in the first place. Also Piggins may have been the "media figurehead" that led Souths in their fightback, but Nick Pappas was the lawyer, working for free for sometimes 12-15 hours a day that actually found the loophole in the law that was the real cause of their re-admittance. They were only re-admitted because they won their appeal, courtesy of Pappas.

Latest posts