What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Place kick for touch

kdalymc

Bench
Last second of the game yesty JT looked like he was calling for the tee, was desperate for metres and had one chance at a decent kick followed by field goal. The young fella didn’t know what was going on so Feldt just punted it and only made 30m.
Every kick off makes 40- 50m and is more accurate (?), so would have made sense in this case, what’s everyone reckon.

AJB1102

First Grade
JT was calling for Feldt to kick for touch since he's got a fair boot on him. Can you even place kick for touch? I don't think so.

I remember when I was a kid there were sometimes place kicks for touch. Here are the rules, seems it is still allowed.

How Taken 2. A player may take a penalty kick by punting, drop
kicking, or place kicking the ball from any point on or
behind the mark and equidistant from the touch line.
Other than when kicking for goal (see notes to Section
6, Law 11 - “Pretending to kick at goal”) the ball may be
kicked in any direction, after which it is in play.

Page 34
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...FjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw0Zxo6_FoLFY-lsg8dmjob5

Timbo

Staff member
It’s still in the book I think. It’d be interesting to see if the ref let you do it though. Those idiots often don’t seem to know the older rules that are still on the books (I seem to remember on ref refusing a request not to take a conversion a few years ago, which is perfectly legal).

AJB1102

First Grade
Most players don't seem to grasp when/where (in Havili's case on the weekend even 'how') to take a tap

kdalymc

Bench
May have just been the commentary team talking it up but certainly looked like he was keen and the tee boy was ready.
Just could have been a better decision as he only made 30m anyway ..

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well blokes like Luke Brooks would not be able to run 5 meters of the mark, when kicking for touch if they had to place it

AJB1102

First Grade
I'm surprised its not a thing to place kick for touch. It would slow the game up considerably and that seems to be very much in vogue.

beave

Coach
Last time I saw it was in a Manly preseason game in the early/mid 90s. Must have been Matthew Ridge as you mentioned.

He did it in the season regular from (hazy) memory. He would just put the ball on the grass and kick it (no sand)

Back then him, Cleary, Taylor and Halligan were the better place kickers and were the first gen to all tip the ball forward on its point and kick around the corner for conversions. Prior to that it was either toe poking or around the corner with the top
Of the ball tipped back.

Diesel

Referee
Gus on channel 9 said it was part of the rules.

Give it a round or 2 and a player will place kick one to touch

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Place kicking may give you an extra 5-10 meters, but it also gives the defence a minute or two extra rest, which nullifies the advantage.

May have just been the commentary team talking it up but certainly looked like he was keen and the tee boy was ready.
Just could have been a better decision as he only made 30m anyway ..
He didn’t want to get too close to the try line as he had to take the drop goal attempt from 10m in from sideline. 30 metres out was exactly where he wanted it I reckon.

Latest posts