What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plan to use GPS technology in NRL footballs to track forward passes

Billythekid

First Grade
Why not just look and see if the players hands are going backwards? I really think this technology is unnecassary.

docbrown

Coach
One of the beautiful parts of the tech is that you can do a Hawkeye.

Effectively after a try is scored, you can instantly recall all the past play moves and map them on screen. You could effectively get the overhead view of all the ball movements that lead up to that player. If you also track the players, you can then see how plays are developed.

Wellsy4HullFC

Juniors
The people that are bad mouthing this idea are the ones that clearly don't understand it.

GPS will track the ball's position over a period of time. Distance x Time = Speed.
So we know how fast the ball is travelling all the time.
Now if the ball (when in possession) is travelling forwards (relative to the pitch) at say 5m/s, and then when it is passed it is STILL travelling forward at 5m/s, it ISN'T a forward pass in the rules (the word "momentum" is wrong, it has nothing to do with momentum; it's to do with constant velocity).

All this technology needs to do is judge whether the ball travels faster in the forward direction AFTER it has been passed. It's as simple as that. All it needs is someone to monitor the speed of the ball at the same time as watching the game and keep an eye on the speed when the ball is passed.

It all comes down to how accurate it is. If it's accurate to within 1m, it's not good enough. But they talk about having GPS accurate to within 2cm now. And if they counter in an error-swing of about 5cm then it should work really well.

The people that are bad mouthing this idea are the ones that clearly don't understand it.

GPS will track the ball's position over a period of time. Distance x Time = Speed.
So we know how fast the ball is travelling all the time.
Now if the ball (when in possession) is travelling forwards (relative to the pitch) at say 5m/s, and then when it is passed it is STILL travelling forward at 5m/s, it ISN'T a forward pass in the rules (the word "momentum" is wrong, it has nothing to do with momentum; it's to do with constant velocity).

All this technology needs to do is judge whether the ball travels faster in the forward direction AFTER it has been passed. It's as simple as that. All it needs is someone to monitor the speed of the ball at the same time as watching the game and keep an eye on the speed when the ball is passed.

It all comes down to how accurate it is. If it's accurate to within 1m, it's not good enough. But they talk about having GPS accurate to within 2cm now. And if they counter in an error-swing of about 5cm then it should work really well.

I couldn't give a rat's arse if it works or not.

The last thing the game needs is this shit.

Loudstrat

Coach
Agree.

Here's a novel idea. ACCEPT THE REFEREES JUDGEMENT!

I laugh at the love affair with GPS. Millions have been directed onto non existant or bodgey roads because of GPS. Besides, what if you are in a stadium where the roof config means you dont get full satelites? I tested our new GPS unit that our RFS unit paid a big wad of cash for. We were 500m on top of a mountain with a bit of tree cover. The GPS said we were 6m below sea level. We havent used it since.

I can see the day coming when Manly score a match wining try from a pass that was 2m forward, but because there was no "beep" no one ruled it forward. If referees rely on a beep they forget to rely on their eyes. Just like now no referee in the NRL can apply the offside rule for a kick anymore.

Fibroman

First Grade
As far as I'm concerned this is great news for the game.

The only suggestion that I could come up with at this stage that might be more appropriate, is to publically flog game officials.

I honestly believe all referees are grubs.

The only form of life lower than a rugby league referee is a touch judge. They don't even deserve to breathe oxygen.

AuDragon

Juniors
Agree.

Here's a novel idea. ACCEPT THE REFEREES JUDGEMENT!

I laugh at the love affair with GPS. Millions have been directed onto non existant or bodgey roads because of GPS. Besides, what if you are in a stadium where the roof config means you dont get full satelites? I tested our new GPS unit that our RFS unit paid a big wad of cash for. We were 500m on top of a mountain with a bit of tree cover. The GPS said we were 6m below sea level. We havent used it since.

I can see the day coming when Manly score a match wining try from a pass that was 2m forward, but because there was no "beep" no one ruled it forward. If referees rely on a beep they forget to rely on their eyes. Just like now no referee in the NRL can apply the offside rule for a kick anymore.
f**k, you're an idiot! :crazy:

GPS is always accurate, it's the maps and software from some companies like Navman, Tom Tom, or Garmin that are erroneous.
I know you think that the 60's and 70's were the days, but guess what, we're in 2011. Live with it!

You don't even need satellites, as you can put the positioning receivers/transmitters spread around the ground.
Then you only have to compare the forward velocity of the ball when it’s about to be released by the player, and it’s forward velocity after it leaves the player’s hands.

And yes, a glitch may happen, but there will be a hell of a lot less forward passes missed by it than by referees!

Springs

First Grade
This is crap! There's no need for this. When the hell did all this forward velocity come into the game anyway? I doubt they were talking about such technical shit 50 years ago. To me, if five officials think that a pass went backwards then okay. I'll complain about it but a week later I won't care just like everyone else. I doubt if Manly lose in the finals they will complain that it was that one missed forward pass that cost them it.

I'm sick of life being ruled by computers and satellites and surveillance and sensors and robots we don't need sport being ruled by them too.

What exactly will happen when the ball travels forward from a knock on or kick?

Loudstrat

Coach
f**k, you're an idiot! :crazy:

GPS is always accurate, it's the maps and software from some companies like Navman, Tom Tom, or Garmin that are erroneous.
I know you think that the 60's and 70's were the days, but guess what, we're in 2011. Live with it!

You don't even need satellites, as you can put the positioning receivers/transmitters spread around the ground.
Then you only have to compare the forward velocity of the ball when it’s about to be released by the player, and it’s forward velocity after it leaves the player’s hands.

And yes, a glitch may happen, but there will be a hell of a lot less forward passes missed by it than by referees!
So says the king of idiots. You cant work out wether your support the Dragons or the Broncos ffs. Yes, Garmin is to blame for the GPS thinking the pacific Ocean is half a kilometre higher than it is.

Now tell me this techno whiz. After a season of relying on the wonder technology, one day in the finals the thing doesnt work. A pass is thrown that is forward, a try is scored, and a teams season ends. If referees stop ruling forward passes unless they hear a beep, what will happen if they see one that they suspect is forward, but they don't hear a beep? Unless it is at a blatantly obvious angle, they wont rule. Right?

Just like you have lost any ability to read a map. I guess you need technology to compensate for the lack of a brain!

Crusher

Coach
I while ago, after a spate of bad decisions around forward passes and offsides there were general discussions in the media about the possibility of introducing hawkeye style technology in league, (and AFL for that matter).

Unlike video referrals, this technology does not hold up the game as referees will receive information instantaneously. not only on forward passes and offides but also on line calls where the ball is involved, especially for close try calls.

Cost aside, does anyone else believe it is vital for the game in order to eliminate as many refereeing errors as possible, After all, they're only human.

Eels Dude

Coach
Completely impractical IMO for a game like rugby league where players are constantly moving and physics has an impact on whether a ball travels forward or not.

Crusher

Coach
Completely impractical IMO for a game like rugby league where players are constantly moving and physics has an impact on whether a ball travels forward or not.

True to a point however several years ago FIFA were to trial similar technology (including on boots) and physics was covered. I remember watching it on an SBS doco

It went no-where because many prefer the romance of the game in its current form. In some ways there are those in league that like the romantic aspect relating to ref errors, especially in conversations around the water cooler :)

some11

Referee
http://www.news.com.au/sport/gps-de...-afl-nrl-and-aru/story-fnaqgujp-1227153088977

SPORTING codes across the nation could be revolutionised by a small GPS tracking device embedded inside “smart” footballs and have the potential to influence score reviews.

And the Melbourne-based company behind it, Catapult — the world’s largest providers of the GPS devices in sporting codes — suggest the footballs could be rolled out as early as next year.

The AFL and NRL are considering introducing the battery-operated computer chip, which is the size of a 10-cent coin and has the capacity to influence score decisions and analytics.

Catapult’s business development manager and Hawthorn’s 1991 Norm Smith Medallist and premiership player Paul Dear said the device will track the ball’s speed, time held in possession by a player and help provide deeper analysis of the game.

“It can be adapted to be used in score review processes across all codes,’’ he said.

“The technology will allow us to track the ball and also track the ball in relation to players.

“It will give the spectators an inside of what is happening off the ball, there will be more detail of the game ... if we are producing that every second of the game it will give great insight.”

The company already manufactures and sells GPS devices worn by players in various codes including the AFL and also makes indoor stadium tracking systems for athletes and elite sports teams.

AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said the smart footballs would need to be trialled first before there was likelihood they would be used in home and away games.

“The AFL is keen to explore all new technology that can help coaching of our game and athlete performance, as well as enhance the broadcast of our matches to viewers,’’ he said.

“The objective from the AFL point of view first and foremost is that technology can assist team performance and player health and safety.’’

North Melbourne captain Andrew Swallow said using GPS devices in footballs could be a “good thing” for the game.

“It gives the coaching and the fitness staff a bit more of an idea of what it is going on and it could help improve performance,’’ he said.

An NRL spokesman said they were aware of the technology but had not yet decided to implement it into the code.

Catapult has more than 70 employees and will list for $66 million on the Australian Securities Exchange next Friday (Dec. 19).

It’s looking to raise $12 million from investors at 55 cents per share.

IG Markets research analyst Chris Weston said the company had great potential ahead of it’s listing on the ASX because of Australians’ obsession with sports.

“It’s different to banks, energy and mining stocks, Australians are into sports and sports technology and it’s got good revenue growth,’’ he said.

“The question is can that be sustained.”

I'd say this is more about Catapult getting their name out there rather than anything actually happening.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Catapult has more than 70 employees and will list for $66 million on the Australian Securities Exchange next Friday (Dec. 19).

It’s looking to raise $12 million from investors at 55 cents per share.

i WONDER what their motivation for putting out this story was......

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gps isn't accurate enough. This is the newspaper equivalent of a "what shall we rename RL" offseason thread!