What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plans to hold a rugby league Test match between Australia and New Zealand at Gallipol

Goddo

Bench
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...and-at-gallipoli/story-e6frexnr-1226050122513
IT'S the small stretch of sand and treacherous cliff face where young soldiers were killed but a legend and bond between two nations were cemented forever.
Now, Gallipoli is poised to be the setting of a new Anzac legend with plans well advanced to hold a rugby league Test match between the Kangaroos and Kiwis in Turkey in 2015.

It will mark the centenary of the landing of Australian and New Zealand troops on the iconic peninsula during the First World War.

The Daily Telegraph has learnt that secret discussions between ARL, NRL and New Zealand Rugby League officials have been held for the last two years and an official proposal will be handed to the Australian, New Zealand and Turkish governments within the next few weeks.

It is envisaged that players from each country will attend the Dawn Service at Anzac Cove before the Test match is played somewhere in Istanbul later in the day.

Talks have already been held with the home stadiums of Turkish football league powerhouses Fenerbahce and Galatasaray about being used as potential venues.

NZRL chief executive Jim Doyle has been in constant dialogue with NRL boss David Gallop, marketing manager Paul Kind and ARL chief executive Geoff Carr, and they are optimistic about the match's prospects.

"With 100 years since Gallipoli coming up, to have the opportunity to celebrate it with a game that is 100 years old itself, when so many rugby league players fought in all the wars since, it was something we just had to pursue," Carr said.

Said Doyle: "When this was first raised and discussed, we couldn't help but do everything we could to make this happen. Can you imagine the number of Kiwis and Aussies who will be in that part of the world at that time because of the centenary? It will be absolutely massive.

"With the support we've had from the NRL and ARL and the NZRL, I'm very confident we can make this happen."

Doyle said the most likely venue was Sukru Saracoglu Stadium, which is the 50,000-seat home of Fenerbahce. There have also been discussions with Turk Telekom Arena, the home venue of Galatasaray - the Super Lig club of Socceroos star Harry Kewell.

"We've done a lot of work behind the scenes looking at these venues," Doyle said.

"The soccer grounds are basically a two-hour drive from Gallipoli. We've looked at the faciltiies available, how long it would take us to get there, when we could play it.

"Ideally, we'd like both teams to go to the Dawn Service and then play."

Officials from the three governing bodies have kept the idea a closely guarded secret for so long because they did not want to alert the Australian Rugby Union.

They intend to meet with Turkish government officials during the Four Nations tournament to be held in Europe in October and November.

"We didn't want it out in the public arena until we were ready to go to the government about it," Doyle said. "It's been a matter of working on the logistics and seeing what's possible."

Rugby league has been rusted on to the Anzac legend for years and the notion of playing the match in Turkey as part of centenary celebrations at Anzac Cove is one of the most inspired in recent memory.

Mentioned NRL involvement, and its a pretty big idea so I thought it deserved a spot on the main board.

Thoughts? I think its a good move.

Could be expanded on, particularily with a 4N series in 2016 (Somme) in France involving England, Australia, New Zealand and France. 2017 would also make sense (Ypres III -Messines Ridge, Polygon wood, Tyne Cott, Passiondale), but that would be a WC year, or maybe 2018 (Villers-Bretenaux, La Hamel et cetera).

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
They should get the Australian, NZ and Turkish armies involved, and Attaturks family.

Could you imagine the atmosphere, filled with Aussies, Kiwis and Turks, and they play the last post, have a minutes silence and read out Attaturks famous letter:

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... you are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours... You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.
— Atatürk 1934

About the stadium:

Fenerbahçe Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium

Kadikoy district, Istanbul, Turkey

Capacity: 50530 (All Seated)

sukru-saracoglu-stadium.jpg

395345.jpg

DecoyRunner

Juniors
It would honour the soldiers imo. A statement of the freedoms and camaraderie they fought for.

But not as long as Turkey continue to deny the Armenian genocide perpetrated by their country.

hitman82

Bench
That's an amazing looking stadium! And what a great concept. Awesome idea, really hope it comes to pass.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I understand why the Gallipoli campaing is such an important part of Australian heritage, being the first battle of the ANZACs, but something I have never understood is why there is such friendship between Australians and Turks as a result. Weren't they fighting on opposite sides? If someone could expain this I would be grateful. Great idea BTW if it happens.

TheDalek079

Bench
how many Turks would go to it? there'd be a ton of Aus/NZ people of there for the centenary who'd go, but how many locals would too? enough to fill the stadium?

beave

Coach
I understand why the Gallipoli campaing is such an important part of Australian heritage, being the first battle of the ANZACs, but something I have never understood is why there is such friendship between Australians and Turks as a result. Weren't they fighting on opposite sides? If someone could expain this I would be grateful. Great idea BTW if it happens.

mutual respect I guess from both sides following the battle.

Goddo

Bench

Basically, the Turks were part of the Ottoman Empire, who sided with Germany mainly to fight Russia, and as an excuse to crush internal resistance within the Middle East, and take assets.

Gallipol was an attempt to cut off Germany from Middle East oil, take pressure of Russia, and to take strategic land and assets.

It was a pivotal moment in Middle East history (end of Ottoman Empire and sort of the last Shiite Muslim "Pope" equivelant, start of big Sunni/Shiite problems, colonialism and nationalism in the Middle East), and the state of modern Turkey was later born under Ataturk, who was the commander opposite the ANZACs at Gallipol.

The ANZACs and Turks had a sort of noble respect for each other as soldiers, and the battle became pivotal in the histories of both sides - Ataturk went on to lead Turkey towards being a secular modern state (born out of a nasty war with Greece (who had invaded) and the fall of Ottoman Empire following WW1).

So very basically, they had a lot of respect for each other as enemies swept up in global affairs, where under different circumstances they would be mates. This wasn't the case with say Germany in either war or Japan in WW2. We might have had a similar relationship with Italy in WW2, except Australia largely missed most of the Med campaign due to Curtin pulling our forces back to fight the Japanese in Indonesia/PNG.

I can't speak highly enough of Ataturk. One of the top 5 political leaders of the 20th century.

Last edited:

2010Dragons

Bench
how many Turks would go to it? there'd be a ton of Aus/NZ people of there for the centenary who'd go, but how many locals would too? enough to fill the stadium?

The Turks are cazy about football (soccer as we know it).
Most Turks have no idea what the "egg ball game" is about.

The only way you could get locals to attend this game is by playing a game of soccer before the AUS/NZ test match.
Fenerbache and Galatasaray (in the team ...Harry kewel, Lucus O'Neil).
These two soccer teams in this country always draw over 50,000 to just local derby.

Best...idea...ever.

It doesn't even matter if few/any locals attend. There will be heaps of Aussies and Kiwis there for the centenary. And it's a brilliant bit of publicity, to have RL hand in hand with one of the most significant historical and cultural events for both Australia and NZ. I bet John O'Neill and the like are wishing they'd thought of it. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they rip it off in some way. We have to make sure this happens now. The NRL and others don't come up with many good ideas so they need to make the most of this one.

no name

Coach
But that would mean playing the ANZAC test on ANZAC Day!!
:eek:

But seriously I like this idea.

I don't know why we bother having the mid year test if it's not on ANZAC Day. NZ are hardly ever full strength, either is Australia but Aus has more depth.
Plus we have the Australian team picked as the first rep team of the year. At least when it's on ANZAC Day it means something.

gsweeper

Juniors
by 2015 both Kewell and Neil will be on the wrong side of their 30's and in retirement. And then the pitch would have to be transformed in too short a period it would not work.

I think the standalone game would be fine, the publicity for the lead up would be amazing. Potentially the biggest rugby league event in history. So many people are shouting "disrespect"; I honestly cant see how it's disrespectful, Rugby League has always had a strong affinity with ANZAC day and all this game is doing it strengthening that affinity.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Great idea. Love the Fenerbahce stadium. The concept is a good one, it is just fitting all the games in to a season with out pissing the clubs off. Do we start the season earlier? or run later? Not sure what the answer is.

Out of interest how many thousand aussies, NZ and other nationalities go to the Gallipoli?

smithie

Juniors
I think this can work. For starters ANZAC Day 2015 is a Saturday. The time difference between Sydney/Brisbane/Melbourne and Istanbul is 8 hours. So a midday kickoff there would be prime-time 8pm here, 10pm in NZ and 6pm in Perth.

However I don't see it going ahead. There will be a huge public backlash, sport trying to cash in on one of the most sacred days in our history.

Last edited:
It can't be held ON Anzac Day though surely. Everyone will be at Gallipoli that morning. Unless they will teleport themselves to Istanbul for the game. It needs to be the day after or something.