What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plans to hold a rugby league Test match between Australia and New Zealand at Gallipol

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
However I don't see it going ahead. There will be a huge public backlash, sport trying to cash in on one of the most sacred days in our history.

As others here have said, if it was union or afl, no one would question the appropriateness.

Half of the profits to Legacy/RSL (and the equivalent in NZ oranisation(s) - pardon my ignorance) and the rest to an appropriate Turkish chraity and I can't see any possible legitimate reason or compaint.

At any rate, how is playing a game of footy any less respctful than getting p!ssend and playing 2-up?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
f**king unionites should mind their own business.

http://sport.msn.co.nz/blog.aspx?blogentryid=821103&showcomments=true

Playing the 2015 Australia vs New Zealand Anzac rugby league test match in Turkey is a ridiculous idea for many reasons, says Lynn McConnell, senior editor of Sportal.co.nz.
An Anzac rugby league Test in Turkey to celebrate 100 years since the horrific calamity foisted upon Australia and New Zealand by the British High Command at Gallipoli?
Sorry, it doesn't wash. Why not play the match on the war graves of those who died in the shambles while they're at it?
If New Zealand and Australian rugby league authorities were consistent in their thinking on playing a Test in Turkey in 2015 to commemorate the centenary of the Gallipoli landings, they would acknowledge (as surveys have found) that many Australians don't even realise the NZ in Anzac stands for New Zealand.
They could also have played this annual match in New Zealand more often to acknowledge the contribution Kiwis made in the campaign.
They might also more correctly relate it to the actual Anzac Day and play it on the day on which the Turkish campaign is commemorated. Note, that was "commemorated" and not celebrated.
Apart from anything else, the prospect of the match further implicates the league authorities in utilising the Anzac name for potentially commercial gain. It is still illegal in both countries for the name Anzac to be used in company names.
The tragedy of it is that instead of acknowledging what this day is all about, the league authorities are in danger of making the day itself a sideshow to the match.
No doubt they are banking on those who attend the dawn service making it back to Istanbul in time for the game. That in itself is no guarantee given some of the reported traffic problems involved in clearing the peninsula.
But clearly the marketing people have realised the likely financial shortfall in staging such a match is at least a sign that their interests are correctly placed and not being seen as a "commercial" opportunity.
One report had the respective rugby leagues of both countries and the NRL working in secret because they didn't want to alert the Australian Rugby Union.
Given that the SANZAR nations will be involved in their Super Rugby competition at that time next year, you would have to wonder what all the secrecy was about.
League authorities are unabashed in their claims of a special connection with the Anzac legend with ARL boss Geoff Carr claiming some sort of league ownership of wartime commitment.
"With 100 years since Gallipoli coming up, to have the opportunity to celebrate it with a game that is 100 years old itself, when so many rugby league players fought in all the wars since, it was something we just had to pursue," he reportedly said.
Whoop de do, what about the sportsmen and women across the board who similarly fought in various conflagrations? It's a clear case of selective amnesia if ever there was. What else might be targeted for future events?
The list is endless and runs the risk of becoming a circus. There are numerous battlefields in Europe, North Africa (ah well, with events in Libya at the moment Tobruk can't be considered), the Pacific, Korea, Vietnam and Afghanistan where various incidents could be related.
Sport, in George Orwell's words, may well be "war minus the shooting", but the fear is that the real purpose of Anzac Day may well be lost in the middle of all this.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Combine Aus/NZ ANZACS side could play Great Britain there.

F*ck the poms. Just get GB to drop us off. If doing a combined Aus/NZ team then tt would make more sense t play the Turks.

Keep it Aus v NZ and there less politics over player selection and the possibility of a decent game.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
f**king unionites should mind their own business.

http://sport.msn.co.nz/blog.aspx?blogentryid=821103&showcomments=true

League authorities are unabashed in their claims of a special connection with the Anzac legend with ARL boss Geoff Carr claiming some sort of league ownership of wartime commitment.
"With 100 years since Gallipoli coming up, to have the opportunity to celebrate it with a game that is 100 years old itself, when so many rugby league players fought in all the wars since, it was something we just had to pursue," he reportedly said.
Whoop de do, what about the sportsmen and women across the board who similarly fought in various conflagrations? It's a clear case of selective amnesia if ever there was.

So the ARL/NZRL/RLIF are supposed to arrange netball a tests to make sure all sports are included?!

F'n dikchead :roll:

Last edited:

nadera78

Juniors
F*ck the poms. Just get GB to drop us off.

f**k you instead, arsehole!

About 480,000 Allied troops took part in the Gallipoli campaign. The British had 205,000 casualties (43,000 killed). There were more than 33,600 ANZAC losses (over one-third killed) and 47,000 French casualties (5,000 killed).

winnyason

Juniors
typical union types what a suprise these merkins don't surprise at all, if it was there idea super.
They could always hold a test in france to celebrate the vichy banning of rugby league call it the supression cup.

Goddo

Bench
It must be a great idea if we are russling the feathers of Union gimps and AwFuL fans.

Goddo

Bench
f**k you instead, arsehole!

About 480,000 Allied troops took part in the Gallipoli campaign. The British had 205,000 casualties (43,000 killed). There were more than 33,600 ANZAC losses (over one-third killed) and 47,000 French casualties (5,000 killed).

I agree, the anti-POM comments don't belong in this thread. But surely you can see that ANZAC Day has enormous meaning to Australia and New Zealand?

It would be best if it were Australia vs New Zealand, and not a combined "ANZAC" team (I hate that term being used for a sports team) vs Great Britain.

Can we leave the blind nationalism at home please. War is f**ked for everyone.

Yes these stats are mostly correct. The french actually took a few more casualties than that counting the March Naval offensive which included a little reported landing on the southern side of the straight. Granted this wasnt actually on the Peninsula but was part of the Dardanelles Campaign.

I think the Nek and Chanuk Bair show pretty clearly the expandability of 'those colonials' in the eyes of British command. This is a huge part of why Gallipoli is so integral to Aussie and Kiwi history. Also, it would be hard to argue that the other allied forces faced the same insurmountable odds as the ANZACS, just one look at the beachheads at Suvla and Helles tell us this.

And the Mehmets actually took the most casualties on the Peninsula. Lets not forget our poor men were lead to the slaughter for the sake of a Russian naval supply line. Those turks were defending their own land.

Sorry, Back on Topic. I really think that depending on projected crowds they should look at the Inonu Stadi before the even consider Sukru Saracoglu which would be a massive pain in the arse. Obviously Turk Telakom looks to be world class so that remains option no.1

nadera78

Juniors
I agree, the anti-POM comments don't belong in this thread. But surely you can see that ANZAC Day has enormous meaning to Australia and New Zealand?

It would be best if it were Australia vs New Zealand, and not a combined "ANZAC" team (I hate that term being used for a sports team) vs Great Britain.

I know exactly what it means to you guys and I wouldn't want to demean that in any way at all. I was just angry at someone showing such a poor attitude, he obviously had no idea about what happened on that campaign.

The simple fact is, as far as the 'powers' were concerned, none of the men involved were worth considering in themselves. All were hugely, and easily, expendable. 1914-18 was an awful time, sadly repeated all too often.

Bwuce

Juniors
The value of sport as a celebration of our culture cannot be measured - it is the essence of our countries.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Bloody poms whinging :D

If you want to beat up on a nation, may I suggest you beat up on the French on bastille day so you can feel better about yourselves and leave the ANZACS alone to beat the shit out of each other where ever we decide to play?

This is our party and you're not invited.

Mr Fourex

Bench
how many Turks would go to it? there'd be a ton of Aus/NZ people of there for the centenary who'd go, but how many locals would too? enough to fill the stadium?

I don't think so

I like the sentiment of the idea

just not the practicality.......

Great idea. Love the Fenerbahce stadium. The concept is a good one, it is just fitting all the games in to a season with out pissing the clubs off. Do we start the season earlier? or run later? Not sure what the answer is.

Out of interest how many thousand aussies, NZ and other nationalities go to the Gallipoli?

Inonu Stadi! Seriously if they play on the Asian side of the river it would be a massive pain in the arse with thousands of non-turkish speakers having to negotiate both a tram and a ferry. Taksim is the most accessable part of the city, has the best accomodation options for those who dont wanna fork out for Sultanahmed and is the part of the city cosmopolitan enough to have curious locals attend.

Also, Turkish tourists out number all other nationalities on the Peninsula 20 to 1. Aussies are atleast 70% of the non turkish contingent

Last edited:
Also, Turkish tourists out number all other nationalities on the Peninsula 20 to 1. Aussies are atleast 70% of the non turkish contingent

Hmm, Ive never seen it do that before. I edited a quote and it added my new part and made it a new post...curious