What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play stoppages for TV games

Hellsy

Immortal
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21397486-23214,00.html

Bennett slams TV stoppages

By Wayne Heming And Laine Clark
March 17, 2007
FUMING Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett accused rugby league officials of "tampering with the fabric of the game" after commercial breaks during Channel 9's coverage forced stoppages to play in the match against North Queensland last night.
Bennett had no complaints with his side's 23-16 loss to the Cowboys n a spectacular season opener at Suncorp Stadium, but he slammed a decision to stop play while the host broadcaster showed ads to viewers.

“I had no idea,” Bennett said when asked about the stoppages that “shocked” Brisbane vice-captain Petero Civoniceva.

“I hope that's the last we see of it,” Bennett fumed.

”Of course it's worrying.
“Every time they do that, they are playing with the fabric of the game.

“When you have the opposition down and on the rack, it gives them time to recover. An extra 30 or 40 seconds is a huge recovery time.”

Civoniceva said when he questioned referee Steve Clark about the break in play that he was told “we have to wait for an add break”.

“In a game of momentum, you take that away ... they get their gas back, it's a bit unfair,” Civoniceva said.
The prop said the pace of the game had been incredibly intense for the first match of the season.

NRL chief executive David Gallop had bad news for Bennett after the game, confirming that the stoppages would continue as part of an arrangement with Nine, which televised two matches tonight, including Melbourne’s narrow 18-16 win over Wests Tigers.

”It's something we need to monitor, but it's also something we need to accept because we're getting two games of footy on Friday nights now,” Gallop said in the Broncos dressing room within ear shot of Bennett.

”Our broadcasters need to be doing what they need to do to bring us two games of footy, so we just need to keep an eye on that for the next few weeks.

”It's something we've agreed to but we've also agreed to monitor it as well, and that's what we'll do.”

While Bennett implied that he had not been told about the TV stoppages, Gallop believed that had been told it would happen.

”It concerns me if the coach didn't know about it, so I'll look into that,” Gallop said.

Cowboys coach Graham Murray seemed to back Bennett's comments that the stoppages for ad breaks had come out of the blue.

”We would have passed it onto the players if we were told,” Murray said.

”It's probably just teething problems in the first week.”

North Queensland halfback Johnathan Thurston, who was named man of the match after featuring in all four of the Cowboys’ tries, said the stoppages had worked against Brisbane when they building momentum in the second half, and got back to 16-16.

“They got a fair bit of momentum in the second half, and you just want to kick the ball out and try and rip back into them,” the Cowboys captain said.

Brisbane captain Darren Lockyer seemed perplexed at one point when he was about to kick the football and Clark told him to wait.

Diminutive Cowboys fullback Matt Bowen landed the match-winning strikes for the visitors, scoring a magical try in the 73rd minute and then sealing victory with a cheeky field goal two minutes from full-time.

The match may yet have an intriguing aftermath once the NR match review committee goes over game footage of a 31st-minute incident involving Cowboys forward Sione Faumuina and Brisbane lock Tonie Carroll.

Faumuina, marched 10 metres for mouthing off, complained that Carroll had gouged his eyes in a tackle.

But when referee Tim Mander asked if he wanted to make a formal complaint, Faumuina declined.

Faumuina said in the dressing room that the incident was “done and dusted”.

”The ref dealt with it,” Faumuina, playing his 100th NRL game, said.

“I'm just going to move on and look forward to the Roosters next week.”

Bennett said he didn't see the incident.

Earlier Cowboys Test forward Luke O'Donnell was penalised for a careless swinging arm that hit Brisbane fullback Justin Hodges in the face, another incident that could come under review.

Whats everyones thoughts??
Has anyone heard of this before now? I hadn't.

This is total bullsh*t that play has to stop for the ads on Ch 9 to finish

strider

Post Whore
its f'n ridiculous! :crazy: .... why now? there's been live footy for yrs but no ad break stopages as far as i know

I heard on radio yesterday David Gallop said it's part of the contract with the games that ch9 show live but they are only given 30secs which after studying last seasons games from when the conversion is allowed/disallowed by the touchys to the restart is on average 30secs or more anyway.
It's doesn't bother me watching on tv and it is only for the live games on 9 not fox.
Sounds like Bennett is complaining coz he team isn't as fit as the cowboys.

strider said:
its f'n ridiculous! :crazy: .... why now? there's been live footy for yrs but no ad break stopages as far as i know
Only this year ch9 is showing the live games and they need to advertise to make money to pay for the rights to show the NRL.

Kornstar

Coach
The same people whinging about this are the same people who would whinge if someone scores from a kick off and they are at an ad break......it is not like they are stopping the game for 3 minutes while they show 6 ads, it is one ad and then play resumes.....not an issue!!

Hellsy

Immortal
Well I think it is a problem when the players are told to hold play while the ad finishes... surely Ch 9 could just cut back quickly.
Why should it disrupt play??

Hellsy

Immortal
So what?

There should be contingencies in place that TV coverage does not stop play for 1 second or 1 minute.

Kornstar

Coach
I just don't understand why it matters to anyone?

How about we write into the clubs contracts that players must not waste time on drop outs or when it suits them to kick off slow??

strider

Post Whore
parra-matters said:
Only this year ch9 is showing the live games and they need to advertise to make money to pay for the rights to show the NRL.
SOO, tests, finals have been live for years - never needed to stop in the past - just fit the ads in where they fit

Hellsy

Immortal
Well it matters to me, I think it is poor form.

Wasting time on dropouts is a different situation, its different when a player and their team are choosing to slow down play but when they are told to stop to wait for the ad break to finish they can loose momentum and train of thought

Kornstar

Coach
But is it really a problem or are we whinging for the sake of whinging?

I'm not trying to be difficult, i just really don't understand the issue, it might hold the play up for 10 seconds longer than normal, is it that bad? Have you ever booed your own player when he fakes a cramp at the end of a close match? Or booed your own player when wasting time at a drop out?????? It is no different

manny05

Juniors
That is crap. Its starting to get Americanized now and could potentially get a whole heap worse if its allowed to continue. Stopping the game for ad breaks is just silly.

Kornstar

Coach
Hellsy said:
Well it matters to me, I think it is poor form.

Wasting time on dropouts is a different situation, its different when a player and their team are choosing to slow down play but when they are told to stop to wait for the ad break to finish they can loose momentum and train of thought

Fair enough

It certainly has alot of people bothered doesn't it? In the NRL forum people have gone off about it too.....

Hellsy

Immortal
Kornstar said:
But is it really a problem or are we whinging for the sake of whinging?

I'm not trying to be difficult, i just really don't understand the issue, it might hold the play up for 10 seconds longer than normal, is it that bad? Have you ever booed your own player when he fakes a cramp at the end of a close match? Or booed your own player when wasting time at a drop out?????? It is no different
I think it is (see previous post)
Teams choosing to slow down play may be annoying but at least they are all aware of it.

dazeely

First Grade
they do it in AFL too (at the Gabba anyway). The umpire has to wait for the flashing light up in the boxes to get the go ahaed to bounce off.

Sure it is silly but in the end is not the be all end all. Wouldn't be delayed for too long. What still bugs me is the evening Grand Final for tele. Thats what gets me....... Arghhhhh

Actually watching the game in new Zealand you noticed it a bit. But I only noticed it was after a try was scored. Where the Team that was scored against was waiting to kick off and Clarke held them. If it happened at any other times during the game I didn't notice it and watching it in New Zealand means they don't go to ad breaks.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Fox has a great ad during the "live" world cup cricket
Jodie Mears search for a supermodel :hg:

BOT: Doing a tv ad before a kick restart in the NRL even if teams held for 20-30 seconds is not an issue for mine. :cool:

strider

Post Whore
I just don't get why we have to wait at all .... there was never any need to wait with live footy in the past - tell em to fit there ads in whereever they can - make em fit ..... if an onfield capt has already asked why are we waiting then it has had some effect to prompt it

Stagger eel

Staff member
I find it rather amusing that the NRL and nine failed to tell clubs and fans what they intend to do.