What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play stoppages for TV games

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
as someone who goes to alot of live games, i think that its ridiculous - however if you watch alot of games from home i spose you would like it, cos you wouldn't miss anything during an adbreak - catch 22

strider said:
I just don't get why we have to wait at all .... there was never any need to wait with live footy in the past - tell em to fit there ads in whereever they can - make em fit ..... if an onfield capt has already asked why are we waiting then it has had some effect to prompt it

Yes strider but with live football before you will miss the kick-off / first tackle on the return set of 6 or the drop out, or what ever it happened alot previously.

fish eel

Immortal
JessEel said:
as someone who goes to alot of live games, i think that its ridiculous - however if you watch alot of games from home i spose you would like it, cos you wouldn't miss anything during an adbreak - catch 22

the whole game nowdays is set up for the people that stay home, not the ones who go to the match.

Daneel

Bench
I dont have a problem if they hold up the game after a try is scored, but to do it any other time i believe could have an effect on the momentum of teams. I'd like to know who decides when to have the ads. I would hate to think that some tv producer who barracks for a certain team might decide to take a break because his team is on the racks and he wants to give them a chance to catch their breath and number up in defence.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
fish eel said:
the whole game nowdays is set up for the people that stay home, not the ones who go to the match.

great way to encourage crowd numbers :lol:

forward pass

Coach
I am surprised it didn't happen sooner. AFL and NFL have been doing it for years.

Not saying I like it - It was just inevitable !

eels_fan_01

Bench
Personally it seems stupid to me to have tv stoppages but i think its just because teams arent used to it, i mean sometimes they start the games 10 minutes later to let fans get into the ground. I guess players and teams will have to get used to it.

carson

Juniors
30 seconds is just enough time to go to the fridge and grab another beer, great work channel 9.

Maybe we should have 1 minute breaks, then I could go to the can as well.

Hellsy

Immortal
Daneel - Precisely, if it is a break in play for a try then there is not alot of momentum. To stop it for a dropout or similar stops the entire teams momentum.

Eela - Yes.... I dont recall seeing anything told to the fans prior to Rd 1 when the players were confused.. if the players are confused they mustn't have been told either. Maybe the management were but it seems to have not filtered down very well.

Surely with the editing skills nowadays they can just cut straight back to the game without having to hold up the players... I would prefer to be a TV viewer who misses a few seconds of play than have a team loose their momentum because they went to restart and were told to stop.

strider

Post Whore
MarkInTheStands said:
Yes strider but with live football before you will miss the kick-off / first tackle on the return set of 6 or the drop out, or what ever it happened alot previously.
I'll live :D

OK - here's the plan - they should at least tell us when the break is coming up so that we know when to make a quick dash to the dunny for a pee ..... they do that and I'm in

strider

Post Whore
carson said:
30 seconds is just enough time to go to the fridge and grab another beer, great work channel 9.

Maybe we should have 1 minute breaks, then I could go to the can as well.
there's always a silver lining .... or in this case a porcelin one :D

Smiggins

Juniors
A time slip method is used for the tri nations Union coverage, so they can fit in as many commercial breaks as they want - or need to fulfill their sales obligations. It's using the same machines we use for the replays and onsite editing of packages at the OB's, so its not a hard thing to do. If we can sqeeze a break in and not miss any play, fine, it doesn't get used, but when play starts quicker than expected, then thats when the time slip begins. By the time half time comes around, and the half time segment is going through, then 2nd half kickoff is "live" once again, until the time slips begin. I've never seen the telecast more than 3 minutes behind real time at any one point - no one seems to get upset about that, so I don't see why that can't be applied to league.

The only thing different is obviously if your listening on radio but watching the pictures, they won't match, but again, to my knowledge, no one has complained that much about it for Union.
No one misses anything that happens, the players aren't held up, and momentum isn't lost, so everyone wins. The fans, the sport, networks and the commercial sponsors.

Latest posts