What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player drain

greena

Juniors
Is anyone else worried about player sterngth next year and beyond.

Pir forwards have been soft in a number of games this year, Canberra & Cronulla for starters. There isn't anyone in PL who has shown that they are capable of being a "good" first grader. We already have a number of solid but uninspiring players in first grade such as Robinson, Cordoba, & Wagon in first grade while PL players including Fa'aoso, Paulo, Oake, Lowrie & Wood are not the answer - none of them have shown the form to warrant an inclusion in first grade and at best are only capable of filling in at times - solid but nothing outstanding.

If it's true that we won't be signing any established players for next year we will contine to be found wanting in the forwards and our backs will not be able to play to their potential.

Parra's forwards are soft and have been found wanting too often over the last few years.

cardinal

Juniors
I read the same thing about our ''uninspiring'' pack after the first 2 rounds, and guess what they have got us to 3rd on the ladder and stood up to so called better packs like the dogs and broncos. Wellar and Junior have been impressive and will step up next year, and maybe you should have a think about where Tim Mannah, Marty Lewis, Justin Horo, Tony Williams, Brod Wright and Anthony Mitchell will be at after a off season of weights. The sharks have pushed manly and the storm to the wire in the last few weeks and we were not on top of our game. If the ''uninspiring'' guys like Wags, Robbo and Josh stand up and give it to the the storm please post again with your thoughts

yy_cheng

Coach
I'm not worried.

As shown over the last month, if we get our attitude right we can be as good as the 2005 team.

The talent is there but the attitude and might I say the strategy (against Cronulla) was not quite right.

Theres an element of truth in what you say, but i think you're a bit misguided about the number of high profile or high quality players that can fit in one team under the cap. you cannot have a team comprised entirely of outstanding players.

robinson, cordoba, and wagon have ALL (imo) been in carreer best form. as for "uninspiring" :arrow: :roll: robinson has been running angels, hitting the line hard like ive never seen from him before. cordoba when hes on his game makes meters like the best of them, and has the added benefit of having an strong but underutilised offload ability.

paulo and hauraki have both exceeded expectations in their role in the team and would probably get a run in most teams in the NRL.

and given time, our flegg and PL players will rise through the ranks. its not easy to step up into first grade into the front row and immediately and regularly have an impact. The few that do are the "superstars" in our game. Clearly you want another 1 or 2 'superstars' to bolster our forward strength. but the reality of the matter is if you have the high calibre backs the we do have, you cant afford many more superstars.

No LabeL EeL

Juniors
Natalie's Daddy said:
Paulo and Hauraki are great prospects.

I agree with you ND, i dont think we need to worry about them being non-first graders....not every one is a SBW!
some players dont hit their straps for more then a year and even longer in some cases.
we do have the talent in the lower grades, and as was said previously...an off season of weight training will make them bigger so they will be able to match it in first grade...so dont worry about that.
once all our new boys have more games under their belts they will have the expeience needed....finals experience will do wonders in my opinion, paulo,hauraki,mateo etc will all benifit from it...maybe cannings(personally, i think he isnt worth what hes being paid) yeah he has had "some" good games, but not enough!

parra pete

Referee
What good is worrying about 2008 going to do?
It's out of our hands..so no need to stress. Enjoy this year before we stress about next season.
There is plenty of footy left in 2007...I can't believe the loss to Cronulla has turned everyone into "prophets of doom"
Blokes don't forget how to play over night. Those who were good players this time last week, are STILL good players this week.
Cronulla is a side that has the wood on the Parramatta team at Cumberland Oval...

No LabeL EeL

Juniors
parra pete said:
What good is worrying about 2008 going to do?
It's out of our hands..so no need to stress. Enjoy this year before we stress about next season.
There is plenty of footy left in 2007...I can't believe the loss to Cronulla has turned everyone into "prophets of doom"
Blokes don't forget how to play over night. Those who were good players this time last week, are STILL good players this week.
Cronulla is a side that has the wood on the Parramatta team at Cumberland Oval...

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!

get your heads out of the sand non-beleivers!!!

The Engineers Room

First Grade
No LabeL EeL said:
I agree with you ND, i dont think we need to worry about them being non-first graders....not every one is a SBW!
some players dont hit their straps for more then a year and even longer in some cases.
we do have the talent in the lower grades, and as was said previously...an off season of weight training will make them bigger so they will be able to match it in first grade...so dont worry about that.
once all our new boys have more games under their belts they will have the expeience needed....finals experience will do wonders in my opinion, paulo,hauraki,mateo etc will all benifit from it...maybe cannings(personally, i think he isnt worth what hes being paid) yeah he has had "some" good games, but not enough!

They do what some of the first graders don't and that is offload.

V1er

Juniors
I think Junior and Wellar will get better with experience and will be very good for us, just need to get use to first grade.

No LabeL EeL

Juniors
Natalie's Daddy said:
They do what some of the first graders don't and that is offload.

we wouldent have much 2nd phase play would we....which is what we are lacking somes times.....i think PJ marsh would be a great attacking option if we can get more offloads into our game, he is quick enough to get around rushing defenders and then spread it to hayne,grothe,inu and tahu....t smith needs to work on his running game, he seems lost when he has to think on his feet in my opinion.

Nikki

Coach
cardinal said:
I read the same thing about our ''uninspiring'' pack after the first 2 rounds, and guess what they have got us to 3rd on the ladder and stood up to so called better packs like the dogs and broncos. Wellar and Junior have been impressive and will step up next year, and maybe you should have a think about where Tim Mannah, Marty Lewis, Justin Horo, Tony Williams, Brod Wright and Anthony Mitchell will be at after a off season of weights. The sharks have pushed manly and the storm to the wire in the last few weeks and we were not on top of our game. If the ''uninspiring'' guys like Wags, Robbo and Josh stand up and give it to the the storm please post again with your thoughts

Oh my goodness! Imagine our team in the next year or two if we get to hold onto most of these kids. Tim Mannah especially. He just brings that something extra to the team. Like most of the other players mentioned tho (Cordoba, Hauraki, Paulo, etc) they are still in their early 20's. Correct me if im wrong, but dont most players in their position mature as football players around 23/24ish? We'll be fine ;-)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
We have this discussion ever year. We have good depth for next year, and i'm sure Hags might add a couple of fringe players just to make sure.

I'm actually happy Ian is retiring, another year may have meant we lost a junior. And Hags may have plans for piggy to play permanent second row with emerging talent in KK & MK.....even though MK looks hit and miss at the moment.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
We have this discussion ever year. We have good depth for next year, and i'm sure Hags might add a couple of fringe players just to make sure.

I'm actually happy Ian is retiring, another year may have meant we lost a junior. And Hags may have plans for piggy to play permanent second row with emerging talent in KK & MK.....even though MK looks hit and miss at the moment.

we have some really talented players coming through no doubt but I've yet to see any evidence that the club will add a few fringe first graders to the squad which really concerns me because as far as I can see if we have an injury toll which would rival Newcastle's or Saints than we'll be throwing SG Ball players in the mix.

that in itself I find extremely scary.

JOB 3:14

Juniors
I'm actually happy with the way Cordoba is coming along and Robinson is always one of our most consistent and versatile performers.