What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player market news

thickos

First Grade
Huge article in the Telegraph today regarding the Raiders' "mistake" of not going into the player market this season:

Time to Raid the market
By Barry Toohey
July 23, 2004

DON'T put it down to smugness or cockiness. You wouldn't even call it over-confidence.

It is more an error in judgment, a decision possibly clouded by the smell of success.

Canberra did not buy one new player for this season. They probably figured they didn't need to.

It was thought the same players who unexpectedly took the Raiders to within two wins of a grand final in 2003 could raise the bar a little higher in 2004.

Unfortunately for coach Matthew Elliott and his squad, it hasn't happened.

"It was probably a mistake," Raiders assistant coach Terry Matterson says of the decision not to go into the marketplace.

"You always like to bring new people in. We recognise now the need to bring some players in every year."

Captain Simon Woolford agrees.

"Looking back, the club probably regrets not signing anyone," he says.

"I think we were the only club who didn't buy anyone.

"The problem was I don't know that there was anyone really on the market in the positions we were looking at."

There is an old saying: Stand still and run the risk of being trampled over.

The Raiders haven't been trampled. But in a season of ups and downs for the club, they have watched as other sides have whizzed passed them.

Insiders say the killer instinct evident in 2003 has been missing.

Tight games the Raiders won last season have fallen the other way. Two games really stand out.

Against Auckland and Melbourne, Canberra led both by eight points with 10 minutes remaining. They were run down in both games.

Those sort of results erode confidence and can hurt more than a blowout loss like the one to Penrith last Saturday night.

To make matters worse, the Raiders have been hammered off the field by a player market with plenty of heat in it.

In a couple of weeks, Canberra lost Ruben Wiki to the Warriors, Luke Davico to England and Joel Monaghan to the Roosters.

It prompted the captain to publicly question what was happening at the club.

"He was fairly outspoken and critical of the administration," Matterson says.

"It was a tough period for everyone but the club has spoken to him and the players since and explained the situation.

"I think Simon understands it a lot better now and is more comfortable with it."

Woolford says he is over it.

"I expressed my disappointment with how I thought it was all handled, but you move on," he says.

"There were contributing factors in all three of them leaving.

"In Rubin's case, the Warriors offered him twice as much as we could.

"And Joel? Well, I spoke to him a number of times trying to convince him to stay.

"But I think he was getting advice from various people to leave and obviously he feels he is going to be better off at the Roosters."

Davico's situation is more complex and the club more culpable.

He was under contract for next season and had no real intention of leaving.

But in what he labels a "disappointing misunderstanding", the club falsely believed he was seeking a release.

"The story grew out of somewhere and all of a sudden I had player managers ringing me with offers when I had no real intention of going anywhere," he says.

"At that stage, I wanted to finish my career with the club and I was pretty upset by it all.

"If the club had have come to me when it first surfaced, it would have all been knocked on the head there and then and the drama wouldn't have happened."

It was only after Davico was contacted by Wigan boss Maurice Lindsay that he started to consider a new offer, which he finally accepted.

"Losing Rubin and Joel on top of me going probably hurt us on the field when it was all happening, but we have got through it and moved on," Davico says.

"It is now up to us to finish the season the way we should."

There has been one significant new signing for next season in former Parramatta playmaker Jason Smith, who is returning from England.

And the cashed-up Raiders are on the lookout for more, particularly outside backs.

Smith's signing is recognition that halfback Mark McLinden has been carrying too much of the creative burden, along with Woolford.

Brad Drew took some of the focus off McLinden last season but his impact has been minimal in 2004 and he is leaving at season's end.

Woolford says the Raiders now need to focus on what can still be achieved this season.

They are on 20 points and in seventh spot. But the battle for places in the bottom half of the eight is intense. A couple of slip-ups could see them tumble out of contention.

"The next few weeks are vital," Woolford says. "Four of our last six games are at home but I don't think there is such a thing as an easy run home in this competition."

Matterson takes it further, rating Sunday's game against the Warriors as the club's biggest of the season.

"This game could set up the rest of the season for us," Matterson claims.

"The [42-8] loss to the Panthers doesn't look too flash but we still think we are in pretty good shape.

"It was four-all after 25 minutes the other night when we lost Simon and we didn't react well to losing our skipper.

"That doesn't excuse the defence or number of one-on-one misses but there is no panic and this side doesn't lack confidence.

"People forget we beat Brisbane a month ago in Brisbane and won three in a row before the Panthers game.

"And the fact is we didn't lose any ground on the table because all the other sides around us lost as well.

"We know the top four is probably out of reach now, but you finish fifth or sixth and still give yourself a big chance of making an impact in the playoffs.

"The biggest thing is we recognise where we have to improve and this side is capable of making those improvements."

BAY72

Juniors
:clap: Yep well done raiders management!:clap:

:evil: OUTSTANDING EFFORT TO LOOSE DAVICO OVER NOTHING! :evil:

hrundi99

First Grade
I reckon it's a little more complex than that. Davico's obviously trying to paint himself as the innocent party here.

I reckon he got the calls from the UK and heard some big numbers and thought, bugger this, I'm going.

Management obviously mishandled the communication part, but don't believe everything you read.

Just saw a post from Tuffnell in the NRL forum.

Kiwi, who is a Broncos fan, said "Just hope they (the Raiders) don't add Frawley to the list aswell."

Tuffnell replied "Bad luck mate, that's the next big news to come from Raider land. 8) "

For those who don't know, Tuffnell is the webmaster on the Raiders site and has the inside word, so maybe the deal is done... which is why he's delaying his announcement until after this weekend's game so as not to disrupt the Broncos preparation (Steve Price did the same thing when he made his announcement).

Fingers crossed! [-o<

skeepe

Immortal
I saw that and thought the same thing, IBG. Some good news after all. I am very surprised that we got the Howell brothers though, i had no idea we were even talking to them.

And I thought this was going to be a bad day when I found out they cancelled Livid...

legend

Coach
Frawley will be a great signing but we still need another prop for next year to complete the silly season.

skeepe

Immortal
I disagree somewhat.

1. Schifcofske
2. Gafa
3. Frawley/Howell
4. Mogg
5. Graham
6. Smith
7. McLinden
8. O'Hara
9. Woolford
10. Weyman
11. Hodgson
12. Hindmarsh
13. Croker

14. Thompson
15. Rothery
16. Miller
17. Carney

I think that would make a great team. If Weyman gets injured, there's still Bryant to take his place. I think a prop would be great for depth, but probably not absolutely necessary.

thickos

First Grade
That's the big risk isn't it skeepe. Weyman is such a rare talent but he is injury prone. We need to cover the worst scenario of him being sidelined again.

jed

First Grade
Not saying I'm right for sure, but it looks to me like we're actively rebuilding - we're stocking up on backs this year, I reckon we'll hit the market with force next year and try to buy forwards.

greeneyed

First Grade
skeepe said:
I saw that and thought the same thing, IBG. Some good news after all. I am very surprised that we got the Howell brothers though, i had no idea we were even talking to them.

And I thought this was going to be a bad day when I found out they cancelled Livid...

I agree, I was glad to hear Frawley has delayed... good news I hope.

jed

First Grade
I don't think we will be any more so than any other year - we have 25 players in the cap, and most of these are on 2 or 3 year contracts, which means on average we'll have 8 or 9 players in the first-grade squad off contract at the end of each season, it's then up to the club to decide who to let go and who we're wanting to re-sign. Once we've (hopefully) re-signed the players we definitely want, we'll hit the market. Bulgarelli & Tyran we'll probably (hopefully) release, Franciscus I'm not sure about, we'll probably try to keep him though, but Hindmarsh, Mogg, O'Hara & Schif will be our priorities. I reckon we'll get all 4, unless CC get a side, in which case we'll lose Rhino.

2006 is shaping up as a worry though - 18 players off contract. Ale, Croker, Cross, Campese, Gafa, Graham, Hodgson, Kahler, Martin, McLinden, Mundine, Robertson, Rothery, Smith (Nathan), Thompson, Tongue, Weyman, Woolford. I think we'll lose quite a few at that point.

Kris_man

Bench
2006 is shaping up as a worry though - 18 players off contract. Ale, Croker, Cross, Campese, Gafa, Graham, Hodgson, Kahler, Martin, McLinden, Mundine, Robertson, Rothery, Smith (Nathan), Thompson, Tongue, Weyman, Woolford. I think we'll lose quite a few at that point.
- You mean the 2006 silly season, but the 2007 playing season, right?
- Half those guys no other club will want.
- We do need another prop, but there's no big name we can sign.
- Greg Bird re-signs for 2 years with the Sharks. No!!!!!!!! , as much as I don't like the prospect, Jason Smith will be our starting 5/8 next year. I think even in his prime, he was a backrower and not a 5/8. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.
- I thought Frawley was going to announce his decision before this week's games?

jed

First Grade
kris_man said:

- You mean the 2006 silly season, but the 2007 playing season, right?
- Half those guys no other club will want.

These contracts all expire at the end of the '06 season, meaning June 30 2006 could bring with it a lot of heartache.

I agree with you that a number of these players won't be wanted, but I don't think it'll be quite half - depending on how they improve next season, I would guess there's only going to be 3-4 that will be ignored by other clubs. Plus, Croker & Woolford will probably be close to retirement.

SOULS 04

Juniors
i mean alot of these will prolly be worked out sooner rather than later

i dont think that many will be waiting around to test the open market

skeepe

Immortal
Croker will be 34 or 35 by 2006, he definately won't be signing another contract with the Raiders. When he leaves, who do we have left that we can use the salary cap discount for? I'm guessing it will go to Woolford's contract, in which case re-signing him should be a bit easier, and I honestly cannot see him playing for another club in any case.

As much as I hate to say it, Cross, Thompson and Tongue will probably be let go. That's 5 players taken care of. If Weyman plays to his potential, he will need to be upgraded, McLinden will be a hard one though. He was apparently close to going to England last year, by the time 2006 rolls around he'll be 27 or 28 and may decide to opt for a new challenge.

The others, I'm not sure how we'll go. Some will need upgrades, some we will want to keep but lose, some we will probably want to let go. It's one thing to try to predict what will happen in 2006, but it's what happens between then that counts.

Bay56

First Grade
skeepe said:
It's one thing to try to predict what will happen in 2006, but it's what happens between then that counts.

Spot on skeepe ... and what's your prediction .. what's in the crystal ball ... does it look good, bad or indifferent ???