What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player of the Series?

Big Pete

Referee
Yeah that's fair enough, before that final play I thought he'd typically blown the game with one of his pattenent nervous passes that ends up going no where. Thankfully he did well to challenge Australia down their left hand side.

It's good to see from Marshall and it certainly makes the game incredibly exciting down these neck of the woods. Although privately (well not so privately) I'm fuming with the end result, with time I'll agree that tonight's result was good for the game.

Just quietly I thought Benji once again stole the show with one of his spiels with the referee. How funny was it seeing him trying to convince Archer that Greg Bird was trying to break Jeremy Smith's neck by pushing him? :lol: One of your best Benji!

millersnose

Post Whore
i dont think i have seen an international series where a single player was so important

benji by miles

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Bunjie is the obvious one. But Blair was strong throughout for the kiwis. Shillington or Gallen for the Aussies and Graham for the English.

RWB

Bench
I thought Scott was Australia's best, granted he only played two games but they were the two hardest and by quite some distance... England are seriously falling away.

ozbash

Referee
Steve Kearney is usually a very calm, collected coach. But he admitted that even he was affected by the frantic atmosphere at Suncorp Stadium in the closing stages of last night's remarkable Four Nations final - explaining his expletive-laden messages to skipper Benji Marshall.
As the clock ran down with the Kiwis 12-10 down, Kearney demanded Marshall get the ball and do something. And he did, darting down the short side and firing a pass that set wing Jason Nightingale free and beginning a move which ended with Marshall supplying the last pass for Nathan Fien's winner.

"I was getting messages from the coaching box that weren't very nice,'' grinned Marshall after the Kiwis' 16-12 triumph. "I'm not going to say what they were. It was more 'get your hands on the ball', or something like that but with a few other words in there.

"In that position that's my role for the team and if something needs to be done, I feel like I got to contribute to that. Thankfully it came off. The messages that were coming from the coaching box weren't very nice, but they got me into gear. It was a team effort and the other 16 players did their job too: I've got to give them a wrap as well.''

Asked about that final try, Marshall said: "I just saw some space and they were covering the chip kick, and Shaun [Kenny-Dowall] was open out wide and him and Jason [Nightingale] did a great job to get the ball back to me. I almost butchered it, but at the end we got there.''

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/4343055/Kearney-gives-Benji-Marshall-a-rev-up-as-Kiwis-win

1. Marshall

2. Smith

3. Nightingale

I hope this result brings changes in the Australian team selection criteria.

Jeremy Smith should savor that victory.