What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player Ratings

Johns Magic

Referee
What were your player ratings for today?

Mine:

Kidley - 8
McManus - 6.5
Tighe - 5
Carmont - 5
MacDougall- 5
Mullen - 6
Johns - N/A
Woolnough - 5
Seu Seu - 7
Perry - 5
Simpson - 7
Newton - 2
Reynoldson - 6

Polglase - 5.5
Abraham - 6
Tolar - 6.5
White - 5

Keep in mind I'm a hard marker.

antonius

Coach
Polglase I think did a bit better than 5.5. He was everywhere, took some big hits and didn't flinch at all, kept coming back for more, and was dangerous when running the ball, scored a try to boot.

Johns Magic

Referee
I'm not getting the Polglase love here.

He wasn't tested under the high ball, he didn't break the defence, that was a nice angle he ran for his try but besides that he didn't do alot in attack. He missed a one-on-one tackle on Patten which gave them a try. I don't think I saw him even attempt another tackle.

I refuse to award someone points just because he gets physically dominated but keeps going. Good on the bloke showing some ticker, but it doesn't mean he had a great game.

Seage has him more than covered imo.

Mal

Juniors
McManus a 6.5?:sarcasm: ..I thought he was one of newcastles best players today.On top of that it was the most exciting game i have seen in a long time.

Johns Magic

Referee
Mal said:
McManus a 6.5?:sarcasm: ..I thought he was one of newcastles best players today.On top of that it was the most exciting game i have seen in a long time.

Did you miss his defensive blunders in the first-half?

Serc

First Grade
I'm with JM on Polglase, though McManus cannot cover the mistakes of the guys 2, 3, or 4 spots inside him...

League_God

Juniors
daveserc said:
I'm with JM on Polglase, though McManus cannot cover the mistakes of the guys 2, 3, or 4 spots inside him...

I agree 100%

also i think Thaiday should get a run instead of polglase next week, for me polglase is to small and needs to put on sum weight, and definately lacked defensive skills and what about that marvin guy at five-eighth next week

BG

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
I refuse to award someone points just because he gets physically dominated but keeps going. Good on the bloke showing some ticker, but it doesn't mean he had a great game.

Seage has him more than covered imo.

Yet you'll rate a bloke just because he used to be a good a player when he still had knee ligaments? Man, I hope Seage comes back and slays them. But I don't see how you could be confident of it.

Johns Magic

Referee
daveserc said:

The thing is, if McManus had marked his winger then the other Knights would've shifted to fill in the hole closer in. I've played wing a fair bit in my life and while I'm not professing to know everything about it, I know from experience that you're better off to stay out and let the guys inside you cover the centres than to let the winger through a gaping hole. If it's 1 on 2 or something like that it's different, but the play-the-ball was well in-field, and there was plenty of time for the defence to set.

We had an extra man, if he'd communicated with his inside men then there's no way they should've scored.

Jono078

Referee
Kidley - 8
McManus - 6
Tighe - 4.5
Carmont - 5
MacDougall- 5
Mullen - 6
Johns - N/A
Woolnough - 5.5
Seu Seu - 6.5
Perry - 5
Simpson - 7
Newton - 4.5
Reynoldson - 5.5

Polglase - 7
Abraham - 6.5
Tolar - 6.5
White - 5

Johns Magic

Referee
BG said:
Yet you'll rate a bloke just because he used to be a good a player when he still had knee ligaments? Man, I hope Seage comes back and slays them. But I don't see how you could be confident of it.

Where did I say I thought Seage would be able to kill it when he returns?

As a player, I think Seage is a better fullback than Polglase. Or, sorry, was and possibly will be again a better fullback. Just for you BG.

BG

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
Where did I say I thought Seage would be able to kill it when he returns?

You said "Seage has him more than covered"... wow, what a stretch for me to think you were implying confidence that Seage will do damn well when he returns. :roll:

sorry, was and possibly will be again a better fullback. Just for you BG.

Here's something just for you JM ;-) ... "possibly" is the most important word in your assessment.

antonius

Coach
League_God said:
I agree 100%

also i think Thaiday should get a run instead of polglase next week, for me polglase is to small and needs to put on sum weight, and definately lacked defensive skills and what about that marvin guy at five-eighth next week
Polglase is heavier than Thaiday, and taller than Thaiday. I think the bloke played exceptionally well, coming off the bench into his first game here, in pretty difficult circumstances, I will also say that a few blokes missed Patten before he got to Polglase, and Patten is a very difficult man to tackle one on one when you're the last man standing at the best of times. From where I sat he appeared to be everywhere, both in attack and defense. I will say though that I do agree he aint no David Seage, but he played a far better game at fullback in firsts than Thaiday did in premier league, on that basis he will be in next weeks team ahead of Thaiday.

Johns Magic

Referee
BG said:
You said "Seage has him more than covered"... wow, what a stretch for me to think you were implying confidence that Seage will do damn well when he returns. :roll:

Here's something just for you JM ;-) ... "possibly" is the most important word in your assessment.

Yes, because saying that Seage is a better fullback than Polglase naturally means I think Seage will dominate the NRL when or if he returns :lol:

Here's something for you BG...you completely missed the point. Seage is a better version of Polglase, that's all I said. We were talking about Todd Polglase and I simply made a comparison to another player. Seage has almost nothing to do with the conversation and quite frankly I couldn't be f**ked writing an essay to explain exactly what I mean just for the one guy out there who misunderstands.

Everyone else got it but you.

CJKnight

Juniors
On Polglase: even though he wasn't really tested under the high ball as such. He took a couple of screamers and got smashed by the Dog's forwards. He did well to hold onto the ball.

He also took the line on several times, alomst as if he was a forward.

I am not singing his praises, it was nice to see a quality backline replacement though. I would have given him a 7.5 myself.

Big Tim

First Grade
Is Seage fit to play next week???

Then why argue about it.

Polglase outplayed Milton, and will, most likely, be named the full back next week.

Like it or lump it.

Johns Magic

Referee
I think Polglase suits a Joeyless side.

Without Joey, if a few things go the opposition's way(e.g. dropped bombs causing repeat sets), the heads go down and most of the guys throw in the towel. Today it was the youngest bloke on the park and the debutant who hit back when the side was struggling, and I loved seeing it. Seu Seu's try meant a lot to me, it showed character. It brought us back into the game and made the boys realise that they could do it.

In addition, without Joey alot of Thaiday's flair is gone.

BG

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
I couldn't be f**ked writing an essay to explain exactly what I mean

You "couldn't be f**ked" explaining yourself properly, yet...

Everyone else got it but you.

... you took a poll? :sarcasm:

I did get your point. Clearly, you failed to get mine. Assessing what kind of player Seage will or won't be when he gets back on the field is too speculative to be relevant.