What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players from your club who you have seen IN YOUR LIFETIME do it all

Loudstrat

Coach
didn't Sterlo win a golden boot too...87 I think!...or was that Bert?
Bert.

EDIT: Sorry Staggers, you are right. Bert win in 95 (Obviously correcting the mistake of giving it to Wally Lewis in 84). Sterlo was a joint winner with Hugh McGahn in 87.
Hasler has all of that on his resume and can also add a couple of nrl premierships as a coach
:lol: nice try

Last edited:

Biscuits

Juniors
not sure what you mean by nice try. I wasnt refering to the individual accolades that sterling got, just answering the original question. Hasler has won prmierships at manly as a player and a coach, won an origin series and test series as a player.

some11

Referee
14cdx84.jpg

Loudstrat

Coach
Pfft. Where's his Rothmans Medal, Lance Todd trophy, OAM and Gold Logie?

Biscuits said:
not sure what you mean by nice try. I wasnt refering to the individual accolades that sterling got, just answering the original question. Hasler has won prmierships at manly as a player and a coach, won an origin series and test series as a player.
Sorry Biscuits, misunderstood what you were referring to.

Last edited:

some11

Referee
Premiership, State of Origin series win and Kangaroos win as captain:

Allan Langer '98
Darren Lockyer '06
Cameron Smith '12

Only three have done it since State of Origin began.

the bondi spy

Juniors
Well he would have to be the second best individual player I have ever seen behind Daley (who is another player who does not get enough credit from the media), Daley was the sort of player that when he touched the the ball the whole stadium went silent and just waited for him to do something amazing, absolutely the best natural talent that I have ever seen.

Other then that I completely agree with you.

Absolute rubbish. When Ricky stuart was ruled out for a semi final campaign the raiders went to water. Ricky was the heart an soul of those great teams but rarely rates a mention. While Daley was a freak he couldn't even run the team around the park without Stuart

The Great Dane

First Grade
Absolute rubbish. When Ricky Stuart was ruled out for a semi final campaign the raiders went to water. Ricky was the heart an soul of those great teams but rarely rates a mention. While Daley was a freak he couldn't even run the team around the park without Stuart

Where exactly did I say that Daley was the best leader I had ever seen?

What I said was that as an individual player he was the best I had ever seen, I said when he had the ball in hand you just expected amazing things.

I completely agree with you that when Daley didn't have some one around to control the team for him (namely Ricky Stuart) then he could not play at his best.

I would have to disagree with you on your statement that "Ricky was the heart an soul of those great teams" I don't really think that any of the old Raiders greats could claim that, they were sort of just a perfect mix for example Ricky would have been the brains, Loz the hart, Meninga and Clyde the lungs etc. etc. none of them were the be all and end all of the team, but if you removed a vital organ it took a lot to replace it.

Loudstrat

Coach
You were doing well until you removed vital organs. Would Mal have been as good after donating a kidney?

I think players need all their vital organs to play at their best.

Which brings me back to Sterlo - who played many games without hair.

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
I think on the Raiders front Meninga was the heartbeat of the team, they looked likely in 95 and I reckon if he was good enough to go around again they probably would have won again, same with the eels with the loss of pricey(a bit of a princess at times, but great player nonetheless) and the crow, they never were the same team either.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think on the Raiders front Meninga was the heartbeat of the team, they looked likely in 95 and I reckon if he was good enough to go around again they probably would have won again, same with the eels with the loss of pricey(a bit of a princess at times, but great player nonetheless) and the crow, they never were the same team either.

Don't get me wrong Meninga was a great player and he did very well at the Raiders, but he was never the heart of the team, he was nearly always the first one to give up when the going got tough and though he was captain by name, on the field he was really co captain with Ricky and Loz.

H.H

Juniors
Don't get me wrong Meninga was a great player and he did very well at the Raiders, but he was never the heart of the team, he was nearly always the first one to give up when the going got tough and though he was captain by name, on the field he was really co captain with Ricky and Loz.

Atrocious call...from a Raiders supporter too.

1. Watch the 1991 GF again and watch him closely in the 2nd half...particularly the back end.
2. Read Fittlers Bio and get his views on Mal's leadership qualities.

Seriously, the guy was a colossus for your club.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Atrocious call...from a Raiders supporter too.

1. Watch the 1991 GF again and watch him closely in the 2nd half...particularly the back end.
2. Read Fittlers Bio and get his views on Mal's leadership qualities.

Seriously, the guy was a colossus for your club.

Yeah he'd step up in the big games, and yes as I said before he was great for the club (still gets a mighty cheer from the crowd when he attends games at Bruce, myself included), But on a week to week basis he was a great player, but lets just say that the media gives him a lot of credit for things that weren't his doing, that's all I was saying.

from a Raiders supporter too.

As a Raiders supporter that lived through that time, and rarely missed a game held in Canberra (or for that matter Queanbeyan when our home ground was Seiffert oval), doesn't that give me more experience to make such a statement then most?

Last edited:

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
Yeah he'd step up in the big games, and yes as I said before he was great for the club (still gets a mighty cheer from the crowd when he attends games at Bruce, myself included), But on a week to week basis he was a great player, but lets just say that the media gives him a lot of credit for things that weren't his doing, that's all I was saying.

As a Raiders supporter that lived through that time, and rarely missed a game held in Canberra (or of that matter Queanbeyan when our home ground was Seaford oval), doesn't that give me more experience to make such a statement then most?

I think you are right in that players like Daley, Stuart and Clyde were the young guns, played hard , did the hard yards etc, but Mal who by than was in his thirties was the player that all those boys looked up to. Daley and Clyde were the best players and Ricky was a gun halfback and the guy that controlled the game. But there were no trophies when Mal retired that says something. It was the same at the eels, kenny and sterlo were the best players in the mid eighties, but no more trophies after 86'. I suggest it will be a while for the broncos post Lockyer as well.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think you are right in that players like Daley, Stuart and Clyde were the young guns, played hard , did the hard yards etc, but Mal who by than was in his thirties was the player that all those boys looked up to. Daley and Clyde were the best players and Ricky was a gun halfback and the guy that controlled the game. But there were no trophies when Mal retired that says something. It was the same at the eels, kenny and sterlo were the best players in the mid eighties, but no more trophies after 86'. I suggest it will be a while for the broncos post Lockyer as well.

I think that you are ignoring the fact that just after Mal retired we went through some of the hardest times the club has ever been through, not to mention the Superleague war, which was very distracting for our players in particular (especially Loz and Ricky, who were in every promotion, add, photo shoot, etc. that the Superleague ever made), but your point is fair enough.

Last edited:

Latest posts