What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players laughing and joking after a loss

jim_57

Staff member
I get it's a bad look but these days so many players would be mates with players from other clubs it'd be almost impossible to stop them having a bit of a chat after the game. I expect players to be upset after a very bad game but even then I wouldn't expect them to sit there with a mopey or angry face as their mate and former teammate(s) come up to them for a chat.

In saying that the obvious thing to do would be to tone it down a bit in a situation like that, if you're out there belly laughing with an opposition player after they've just fisted your team then it's a common sense 'wrong time wrong place' scenario no matter how good Ash Taylor's rehashed Simpsons jokes from 1998 are.

Valheru

Coach
I dunno, mate. A game in 2016 where I think it was Cronulla that put a big score on us. Latrell couldn’t hide his tears. You knew then that they were at least putting in and that’s what you want to see. Of course now I realise Latrell has a sook post game anyway but you get my point.

Yeah was that in the sheds?

Im more talking about having a laugh with the opposition afterwards.

They are generally all friends so i see no harm in it.

Of course 50-0 losses are different to say 22-12 losses

Yeah was that in the sheds?

Im more talking about having a laugh with the opposition afterwards.

They are generally all friends so i see no harm in it.

Of course 50-0 losses are different to say 22-12 losses

Nah, it was on the field. Still shook hands with the opposition but couldn’t hide his tears.

T-Boon

Coach
It is not a good look. Players are supposed to be selling the games to their fan base. Ideally each game would have the type of rivalry/meaning of an 80s origin or they should at least try to pretend that they care that much.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I loathe it. They don't understand the game has made them rich not because there is something particularly valuable about running around a field with a ball. It matters because of the passion that fans have. It matters because of the emotional investment people have. People spend their hard earned money and precious time to grow attached to particular teams, colours, mascots.

Being a footy fan is not a particularly rational hobby. Players need to remember what they do isn't like just any 9 to 5. It's not like a bloke at a law firm in the CBD being mates with someone at a rival firm. Footy players should at least pretend to care while they're in the game environment. Pretend to care while you know the cameras are on you. Then go home, get changed, and feel free to have a good time even after a loss. But at least try to take it as seriously as the fans who are the reason you make a great living playing a game.

Don’t mind hand shakes, chats, and prayers together that many players do..

But players joking after a loss, big or otherwise...... absolutely can’t stand it.

If they wanna catch up with mates, I get that. But give teams time together in the sheds after the game and turn the cameras off... Have a beer or whatever.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
How do you know what they are laughing at? They may be laughing at an incident in the game, or if they know each other, an incident from their past.

It's not like they are sitting there laughing that they've lost.

_Johnsy

Referee
Out of the literally plethora of things to loathe in life, this makes it?

Perspective people.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
It's one of the unique things about league, the players spend 80 minutes using their bodies as violent weapons against each other than after its over are mates.

No probs with it, it's actually cool.

I don't think the Broncos have been using their bodies as violent weapons lately. Especially Boyd and Milkfat.

Knight76

Juniors
For mine if they lost and they are winning some, losing some then fine.

But for a club deep in a hole, coach under fire, club legends calling them out, practically everyone calling them out. Boo'd off at half time, yeah it's a slap in the face to fans and in the above situation they should feel like shit.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Some after a loss:

giphy.gif

Eelementary

Post Whore
Couldn't give a shit.

I agree with this.

Can you imagine how psychologically miserable you'd get, if you went all Captain Grumpy after each loss?

It's best to remember that it's just a game - many players have families, other business ventures, etc. which - in the grand scheme of things - are way more important that football.

And I don't subscribe to the notion that a player and/or players laughing, and joking, after full time, after being easily defeated, means that they don't care, or are mentally weak; that is archaic, and unhelpful, logic, imo.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
And there it is, Issac Luke has officially played his 'I wear my heart on my sleeve, can't wait to rip in from here' social media card at his new club. We got that one regularly at the Warriors.

Danish

Referee
Didn’t the players in the old days used to go get pissed at the leagues club together after every game? It’s hardly a new thing that players are friends and enjoy to chat after a game.

players have NEVER given as much of a shit about losing as their fans do. And they never will.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The nadir of this was our side cracking jokes and laughing after we got towelled 62-6 by Penrith in around 2014. If you think 'get over it' cuts it, you wouldn't want to have been a Warriors fan that night.

I get the criticism. Fans ride the wave of wins and losses as much as anyone, and watching a player on good coin laugh and joke after putting in half his arse is naturally going to make you feel frustrated. Does it mean they won't put in the next week? No. But I guess as a fan you don't see the true competitors bro shaking and giggling after a loss, they put their head down, get in the sheds and use that disappointment to fuel what they do next.

mozza91

Coach
It bothers me straight after a loss but once the rage has subsided and the excessive alcohol consumption has taken effect I return to my regular numb state.

Latest posts