What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players may get to choose own number.

salvy71

Juniors
THE NRL will consider a proposal to allow players to have their own individual numbers on the backs of their jerseys. The idea was put forward at a meeting of club bosses in Sydney today by Sydney Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce and was received warmly by the other clubs.

Noyce said it was time rugby league followed the lead of AFL and cricket teams and allowed fans to buy replica shirts with the name and numbers of their favourite player on the back.

"It allows fans to identify with a favourite player when they are at the game and when they purchase a jersey,'' Noyce said.

"The way positions are today the numbers do not really reflect where people actually play and there is a better chance for people to better identify their favourite player.

"There are only two sports that retain numbers based on position and it is time we moved on.''

The plan also received tentative support from NRL CEO David Gallop, who admitted although the idea would fly in the face of tradition, it was something that would be looked into.

"All of that stuff is part of the system used in AFL and cricket and there has been a push for it today and we will go away and look at it,'' Gallop said.

Source : Daily Telegraph

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/nrl-to-look-at-changing-jersey-numbers-20100504-u6l4.html

Last edited by a moderator:

salvy71

Juniors
Personally I'd also HATE for this to happen , this is Super League fluff ....what next ? The try scorers to kick off ?

Eels Dude

Coach
If it creates revenues for the club then why not, and I reckon it will. Most major sporting competitions in the world do this do it this way. Having the number 11 jersey forever associated with Nathan Hindmarsh makes sense from a marketing point of view. It's just a number on the back of a jersey really... with clubs taking responsibility that membership is the way of the future, this idea should at least be considered.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Rugby League is one of the few football codes in the world that dont already do this

Stagger eel

Staff member
honestly, must we timker with tradition any more than what we've already done in the past?

salvy71

Juniors
I'd guess that the objective would be to create revenue for the individual player maybe ? I dunno .
The clubs already gets a divvy from the sales of merchandise and jerseys - I can't see how much more can be raised from this scheme ......there aren't many 1 club players around either so it'd look pretty stupid wearing a number 69 parra jersey with Mateo written on it if he's playing for the Warriors for the poor sod that buys em .
I reckon most fans would hate it ....so the NRL should tread very carefully before bringing it in .

Tin Man 4.24

Juniors
With all the pressing concerns in the game at the moment and Steve Noyce has concluded that allowing Todd Carney to wear the number 69 on his back if he so chooses will boost fan morale and merchandise sales. That NRL chief executive meeting must have been a real think-tank.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hate the idea.

"The way positions are today the numbers do not really reflect where people actually play and there is a better chance for people to better identify their favourite player. "

Uhhh. Yes they do.

UnderDawgg

Juniors
Wtf. So let me get this straight.

We've just found out a club has been rorting the cap for 5 years straight and the game is struggling to stay alive let alone expand. So Gallop has a meeting with some CEO's to talk about changing jersey numbers.

Somehow i think he has his priorities out of order...

84 Baby

Referee
I wouldn't mind seeing names on the back but I don't really see the point in this. The best players in the game all have set numbers at their clubs anyway. Hayne is 1, Marshall is 6, Thurston is 7, etc. If however it would boost merchandise sales (won't do so significantly enough) or boost sponsorship dollars (again probably not enough) then definitely it would be way to go. I am kinda jealous that other sports can retire numbers. It's a fantastic piece of nostalgia

belmoreeel

Juniors
if they bring this in maybe the players will have their own sponsors on their own shirts or something along those lines

eels bloke

Juniors
Wonder if it would include retiring the jersey number for a legendary player upon exit from the game/team as in other sports.

84 Baby

Referee
Wonder if it would include retiring the jersey number for a legendary player upon exit from the game/team as in other sports.
What numbers would be have retrospectively retired?
1. Thornett
3. Cronin
5. Grothe Snr
6. Kenny
7. Sterling
13. Price
Something like 29. or 08. Jack Gibson

Latest posts