What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players may get to choose own number.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Watch the ESL on Sunday and Monday nights and see how ridiculous it looks having random numbers.

I can think of two sports that still have the positional numbers (Soccer and Union) and they don't have an issue with revenue.

The idea does have merit but I would prefer if it is not chosen by the player but the team list for round 1 determines the number for that year.

fanaticeel

Juniors
Wtf. So let me get this straight.

We've just found out a club has been rorting the cap for 5 years straight and the game is struggling to stay alive let alone expand. So Gallop has a meeting with some CEO's to talk about changing jersey numbers.

Somehow i think he has his priorities out of order...

Totally agree with this...

Parra Guru

Coach
If I walk down the street and see a Knights jersey with #7 on the back, I certainly don't associate it with Scott Dureau

Delboy

First Grade
Tradition should count for something, if you are good enough the kids will wear the number 1 or number 11, for goodness sake why can't they do something more constructive.

fish eel

Immortal
Watch the ESL on Sunday and Monday nights and see how ridiculous it looks having random numbers.

I can think of two sports that still have the positional numbers (Soccer and Union) and they don't have an issue with revenue.

The idea does have merit but I would prefer if it is not chosen by the player but the team list for round 1 determines the number for that year.

Not really true in the case of soccer. Squad numbers get issued at the start of the year. Tim Cahill wears 4, which is generally given to defenders.

this idea of player numbers has some merit.
Jersey manufactures could have some jersey's pre numbered with the most popular players numbers on it. Nothing worse than as a fan you get a number put on your jersey of you favorite player and which may be fullback 1, then he gets shifted to the wing 5. or five/eight 6.
Like Benny Smith was wearing 3 or 4 now he is in 12.
If he choose no. 32 for instance then he would wear no. 32 in any postion he played.
It would be hard to get used to as we are used to the numbers meaning a position but I'm sure we would get used to it over time.
We could also retire the number 11 when Hindy retires.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think that keeping the same number all year is OK but we should at least make them chose sensible numbers. Could you imagine the number of players wearing 69 or 23 or 00?

Like I said make the clubs register the numbers 1 through 25 to the top 25 and every player outside the top 25 would get the next number in succession after that.

eels81236

Bench
And the rest.... I have a friend/former coach coaching AA in the minor leagues. He tells me that when a player reaches 5 and 10 years service in the majors they get 50 and 100 thousand per year respectively, for life from the league. The value of a good players union...:shock: (that was a long time ago...don't take figures as gospel)
You'd be surprised how relatively few make those milestones. When you consider that 1000 odd players may play in the bigs in any one season apparently.

On a side note....Didn't Riolo have something to do with the RLPA?

No, eels81236. It was actually Matthew Rodwell. I can see where you went wrong though as they were both Steelers. Keep up the good work. :cool:

Gronk

Staff member
The Eels already have numbers. The ground announcer rants about them every game*.

So Hayne, for example, should have his number 563872 on his back.

* Gotta be one of the most stupid initiatives the club has ever come up with. :roll:

Parra Guru

Coach
The Eels already have numbers. The ground announcer rants about them every game*.

So Hayne, for example, should have his number 563872 on his back.

* Gotta be one of the most stupid initiatives the club has ever come up with. :roll:

You forgot to add EEL -

fish eel

Immortal
If you want to see funny numbering, you should have watched the socceroos qualifycation games for the AFC.

They had strict rules about the numbers that could be given, and that numbers couldnt be used twice

These are the numbers from the match against Indonesia

(gk) Eugene Galekovic 82
Jason Culina 5
Luke Wilkshire 8
Joshua Kennedy 9
Mile Sterjovski 21
Jacob Burns 24
Mark Milligan 42
Shannon Cole 60
Simon Colosimo 61
Scott Jamieson 66
Tommy Oar 121