What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players may get to choose own number.

salvy71

Juniors
What numbers would be have retrospectively retired?
1. Thornett
3. Cronin
5. Grothe Snr
6. Kenny
7. Sterling
13. Price
Something like 29. or 08. Jack Gibson

Actually pricey was number 8 - back in the day when lock forward was 8 , second rowers 9 and 10 , props 11 and 13 and hooker 12 .

eels bloke

Juniors
1. Thornett
3. Cronin
5. Grothe Snr
6. Kenny
7. Sterling
13. Price

And any current players that are up for a retired number.....

11. Hindmarsh

Stagger eel

Staff member
1. Thornett
3. Cronin
5. Grothe Snr
6. Kenny
7. Sterling
13. Price

Price would be 8 due to the old numbering system.

Hindy 11
Ella 4

TheRam

Coach
Yeah they were a shocker when we last had them and I cant see it being any different this time around if it should happen.

belmoreeel

Juniors
I was traumatised for 2 years when they changed them ....I reckon seeing guys in 55 and 76 would make me drop stone motherless dead. :lol:

those numbers would take years to reach and by that time the NLBL (National Lawn Bowles League) will probably be the number 1 sport in the country

eels81236

Bench
I know that baseballer gets a cut out of each shirt sold with their number on it. It's only a tiny percentage but considering the market size it is a nice little earner for the player.

84 Baby

Referee
those numbers would take years to reach and by that time the NLBL (National Lawn Bowles League) will probably be the number 1 sport in the country
Saturday 5pm on ABC1 is the Australian Open. They never show the change of ends when the competitors must down a schooner though

natheel

Coach
thats ridiculous not a fan, id rather the names on the back of their jerseys do something like the UK do with set squad numbers maybe but not letting them choose their own

84 Baby

Referee
I know that baseballer gets a cut out of each shirt sold with their number on it. It's only a tiny percentage but considering the market size it is a nice little earner for the player.
Except I shudder to think how many New York Yankees numbers 2 & 13 get sold every year... but considering the respective players earn $22m & $27.5m a year, on 6 & 10 year contracts, both which expire after their 42nd birthdays... LITTLE earner is probably appropriate

salvy71

Juniors

If players can choose whatever number they want those numbers would be available from day 1 if they really wanted to stand out ...

eels81236

Bench
Except I shudder to think how many New York Yankees numbers 2 & 13 get sold every year... but considering the respective players earn $22m & $27.5m a year, on 6 & 10 year contracts, both which expire after their 42nd birthdays... LITTLE earner is probably appropriate

And the rest.... I have a friend/former coach coaching AA in the minor leagues. He tells me that when a player reaches 5 and 10 years service in the majors they get 50 and 100 thousand per year respectively, for life from the league. The value of a good players union...:shock: (that was a long time ago...don't take figures as gospel)
You'd be surprised how relatively few make those milestones. When you consider that 1000 odd players may play in the bigs in any one season apparently.

On a side note....Didn't Riolo have something to do with the RLPA?

Latest posts