What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players mental health issues.

Life shouldn't be hard? Life is hard. It shouldn't be all encompassing, but nor should it be consistently joyous. My life is hard. But it's wonderful. I have to drag my arse into exercise for 40mins a day that I'd rather not do. I love my job, but aspects of it are arduous. I adore my kids, but F me they're hard and we choose to parent the hard way - ie no screens, lots of learning, patience etc. I'm setting myself up for the future by doing things like renovating on my weekends, saving money etc. All that stuff is hard work. But I'm always aware it's worth it.

Again, I'm very aware that a lot of athletes face mental health issues. I was OK with the Simone Bilas stuff after talking to gymnasts who said it's a scary way to be when you're not mentally right in their sport. Naomi Osaka is clearly going through some issues too. And she is absolutely right to step away from the game if it's overwhelming. I dunno, I see this so often as a teacher. These young people think that hardship is a time to stop. That hardship = mental illness. Teaching in lockdown has been such an eye-opener for me. There seems to be a range of excuses as to why these kids can't do something.

Still disagree with this attitude of accepting hardship when it comes to living. We shouldn't be facing any hardships if we had a system in order that has everyone's interests in mind not just a select few. You say your a teacher right? Well that's a challenging job for anyone to embark on and stress comes with that chosen field of work. So in a way you must of known that before getting into this field. That's all good if you accept that hardship for that role. What about other people whom have been affected by mental illness not caused by their own choices? We live in a world where we have choices that cause hardships i.e Work choices, having kids etc. We also have a lot of people facing hardships not by their choices i.e failing system, bad upbringing etc.

This mental illness subject is something that should be taken seriously and with care. I feel it's easy to call out peoples behavior when things don't go their way and then we assume they're playing the mental illness card. Once society learns / adjusts to this very important subject. We will be able to see (even if people are playing this as a card) they have obvious deeper issues that need addressing.

Fusitua needs to fix his head first and forget the wallet. If it means he has to reset and get a normal day job or learn a course then do it. A professional environment is not the place for people that don't have their heads in the right place. He played well in his recent lower grade so hoping he is on the mend. Let's see how 2022 goes.