What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players most overrated by their own fans

I enjoyed the way he caught the ball and fell over the line 14 times
I preferred it when he dropped it over the line.

His career has only two trajectories

1. He follows the Nathan Merritt path, and is seemingly underrated for years until he gets his one shot and then totally f**ks up and becomes the most overrated bumbling fool in the game.

2. Or he becomes 'The Wolfman' a superstar rookie who makes his Australian debut in his rookie year and then slowly goes from the guy with the beard, to the guy Jamie Lyon passes too, to TAB spokesman.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
For my Forum

I would say Michael Gordon.

The guy is a very good three-quarter, some sharks fans think is in top 5 fullbacks.

mxlegend99

Referee
For my Forum

I would say Michael Gordon.

The guy is a very good three-quarter, some sharks fans think is in top 5 fullbacks.
4 years ago he could have been. but injuries and age have slowed him down a bit. his form at the end of 2010 and beginning of 2011 was ridiculous. But after his Acl injury in 2011, he hasnt hit those heights again.

Still a good fullback though.

woodyk2

First Grade
Dogs - Jackson
Sharks - ?
Raiders - Crocker, Wighton
Tigers - Brooks, Moses
Eagles - Buhrer
Souths - Johnstone, Reynolds, Clarke
Dragons - nightingale, de belin
Eels - Morgan, mannah
Knights - McManus, rochow, snowden
Panthers - mansour, Cartwright, Taylor
Roosters - Cordner
Broncos - whoever they've signed for the next season
Storm - ?
Cowboys - cooper
Warriors - Manu, Tompkins
Titans - ?
Buhrer? Are you stoned?

Vic Mackey

Referee
I preferred it when he dropped it over the line.

His career has only two trajectories

1. He follows the Nathan Merritt path, and is seemingly underrated for years until he gets his one shot and then totally f**ks up and becomes the most overrated bumbling fool in the game.

2. Or he becomes 'The Wolfman' a superstar rookie who makes his Australian debut in his rookie year and then slowly goes from the guy with the beard, to the guy Jamie Lyon passes too, to TAB spokesman.

Johnstone may well end up being a very good player, he has done all that's been asked of him so far. You couldn't call him a bad player. The over rated part is that for 3/4 of his tries he wouldn't have run for more then 3ms. Daniel fitzhenry could have been souths left winger and probably scored 20 tries this year.

If anything the over rating is unfair on Johnstone and setting ridiculously high standards for his second season.

One Warrior

Bench
Dogs - Jackson
Sharks - ?
Raiders - Crocker, Wighton
Tigers - Brooks, Moses
Eagles - Buhrer
Souths - Johnstone, Reynolds, Clarke
Dragons - nightingale, de belin
Eels - Morgan, mannah
Knights - McManus, rochow, snowden
Panthers - mansour, Cartwright, Taylor
Roosters - Cordner
Broncos - whoever they've signed for the next season
Storm - ?
Cowboys - cooper
Warriors - Manu, Tompkins
Titans - ?

Manu really, how many seasons in a row now has he scored 10 or more tries in a season, 10 or 11 in a row, brings us out of our end continuously all game, yes he drops the ball occasionally, but that Parra game is 8 years ago now, most tries ever for both Warriors and Kiwis, will always be in the Warriors side when he is fit. I'll let Tomkins speak for himself.

BranVan3000

Coach
Johnstone may well end up being a very good player, he has done all that's been asked of him so far. You couldn't call him a bad player. The over rated part is that for 3/4 of his tries he wouldn't have run for more then 3ms. Daniel fitzhenry could have been souths left winger and probably scored 20 tries this year.

If anything the over rating is unfair on Johnstone and setting ridiculously high standards for his second season.

I disagree, he often gets the ball quite far out. The only reason he makes it look easy is because he is so fast. There is quite a bit of work in what he is doing. Especially on the occasions he was coming back on the inside while playing with Walker. He is also a really good defender, and puts in the effort bringing the ball out

Don't mistake a guy making something look easy for something that is easy. Goodwin, Reddy, Merritt etc. were getting the same ball on the wing but could barely score a try.

That said I don't think he was playing well enough to be in the Kangaroos

Last edited:

cleary89

Coach
At saints maybe nightingale? He'd be in every fans top 3 fav players. We all love him. Reading the international games threads it doesnt seem like too many others do.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I disagree, he often gets the ball quite far out. The only reason he makes it look easy is because he is so fast. There is quite a bit of work in what he is doing. Especially on the occasions he was coming back on the inside while playing with Walker. He is also a really good defender, and puts in the effort bringing the ball out

Don't mistake a guy making something look easy for something that is easy. Goodwin, Reddy, Merritt etc. were getting the same ball on the wing but could barely score a try.

That said I don't think he was playing well enough to be in the Kangaroos

Agreed he's done some freakish stuff look at his try against the Tigers where he runs out of dummy half, sidesteps the markers and sprints off untouched.

Similar thing against Manly in the final, he got the ball off GI about 30 metres off and outran Brett Stewart (who was closing in within tackling distance).

Personally i don't think we'll see his best until he moves to fullback and that won't be for a couple years with GI dominating there.

Parra

Referee
At saints maybe nightingale? He'd be in every fans top 3 fav players. We all love him. Reading the international games threads it doesnt seem like too many others do.

He is underrated by most people. Everyone who watches saints games rates him.

Card Shark

Immortal
4 years ago he could have been. but injuries and age have slowed him down a bit. his form at the end of 2010 and beginning of 2011 was ridiculous. But after his Acl injury in 2011, he hasnt hit those heights again.

Still a good fullback though.

Yep.

I've said it before & I'll say it again....been ok for us but hasn't nearly reached the heights that he did at Penrith.

Was voted player of the year but there were times I would've dropped him.....sums up our season I suppose.....at least he was there all year, unlike everyone else.

Last edited:
I think it's because everyone assumes he is universally underrated, which he was. However now that he is more noticed peope still think he's underrated which has driven it to the point of him being overrated.

Good player nonetheless.