What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players stand up and be counted

MKEB...

Staff member
Who are the buggers in the Warriors that actually gave their all and can be given kudos

So far this season IMO there have been a couple...

Friend- busted jaw and such.... he is a tough bugger and is keen to defend and defend and defend. His Dummy half work has been the best we have had since George Gatis + he has some vision setting up repeat sets.

Mateo: suddenly has found himself a senior player and is playing as such. He finds himself the senior playmaker and is making the plays (almost singlehandedly at times). I hope we dont lose him.

Mannering: Captain fantastic, never shirks a tackle and has lead from the front thoughout.

Matulino and packer: smash and yards...that is all

Yours please

Last edited:

Micistm

Bench
Yep, Friend. Top notch big hearted player. Mateo, Mannering, Matulino. Those guys are my players of the year.
If you're doing a 3-2-1 for our best in 2012, IMO I'd go Matulino, Friend, Mannering. Consistantly good, always give it their all. Mateo a close 4th, 9 times out of 10 he'd go well, occasionally not.

Dunno if it's fair doing a disappointing player run...but I have expected more out of Johnson. Lockes been an injured mess a lot of the time, but Johnson just hasn't got involved enough...almost like he's a bit scared of being hit, or leaving it all to his 'senior' half Maloney...but for a guy thats so talented, he's not doing nearly enough. Second year blues maybe

ozbash

Referee
I didnt really rate Friend to start off with.. maybe he realised what was happening and stepped up a gear. Benny and Packer have been great. Packer was slack to start but got his act together. Would like to see the guy get angry.
Mateo impressed after SOO selections. He and Johnson seem to have a major personality clash.

Of the newbies, Benry has been outstanding. I think a lot forget the guy is out of position..

MKEB...

Staff member
Benry largely played out of position has tried to do what is asked...an d in all honesty has not let anybody down in that spot. I miss that huge Benry bomb though, I doubt I have ever seen a bomb kicked bigger.

JoeD

First Grade
I thInk it's pretty obvious who the good players have been this year and it's telling that not one back rates a mention.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I didnt really rate Friend to start off with.. maybe he realised what was happening and stepped up a gear. Benny and Packer have been great. Packer was slack to start but got his act together. Would like to see the guy get angry.
Mateo impressed after SOO selections. He and Johnson seem to have a major personality clash.

Of the newbies, Benry has been outstanding. I think a lot forget the guy is out of position..

I think the Mateo and Johnson thing is just symptomatic of the positions they play. They're closely linked, so they end up having words and disagreements sometimes. I doubt they're at each others' throats off the field too.

Henry is a hard-trying run-of-the-mill footballer. Sure he puts in an effort and was pretty decent for a stretch at the start of the year, but he's not the answer to anything.

Johnson is a Benji clone in the way that if his side is going back, he's a write-off.

Warmess

Juniors
I thInk it's pretty obvious who the good players have been this year and it's telling that not one back rates a mention.

For someone who wasn't given an opportunity in reserve grade to truly learn his trade, I think Hurrell has done really well this year. He hasn't been any worse on D than the rest of the backline and that's for someone whos been playing league for two years and is playing in a Blueless defensive pattern.

Put Hurrell under someone like Hasler and (short of getting injured) he'd still be going for rookie of the year most likely.

vvvrulz

Coach
The few that have stood up:
- Friend
- Matulino
- Packer
- Martel
- Mannering

I think Hurrell, Benry and Lousi have gone fine given their lack of experience, and Manu, Lillyman have been average but passable.

The rest (mid season rookies aside) need a serious look at themselves.

Meth

Staff member
Matulino has been the best this year. Mannering has been his usual self, likewise Mateo. Friend should be clubman of the year.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
For someone who wasn't given an opportunity in reserve grade to truly learn his trade, I think Hurrell has done really well this year. He hasn't been any worse on D than the rest of the backline and that's for someone whos been playing league for two years and is playing in a Blueless defensive pattern.

Put Hurrell under someone like Hasler and (short of getting injured) he'd still be going for rookie of the year most likely.

Hurrell has been horrible on defense at different stages of the season.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I know he is leaving, and I do think that he is over rated, but I don't think there is any question that Maloney puts in 100% every week

vvvrulz

Coach
I know he is leaving, and I do think that he is over rated, but I don't think there is any question that Maloney puts in 100% every week

This is true, even when he was getting owned by Williams in the Manly game it never stopped him from trying. Johnson on the other hand just goes completely missing.

what ever

Juniors
This is true, even when he was getting owned by Williams in the Manly game it never stopped him from trying. Johnson on the other hand just goes completely missing.

I would agree with this, and last year you had Seymour and Isaac John looking for action and you could tell they were all working hard to play in the team. With Johnson he should be replaced when he doesn't do well. Were has there backups been. Wasn't that suppose to be Pita? Isn't that the only 6/7 that they had on standby except for another under 20 player.
I just think that Johnson doesn't think he would get dropped. He loves the camera. But I also noticed that he always tries to put a lot of effort in the last five minutes. No wonder Mateo get frustrated.

Last edited:

_addict

Juniors
I agree with the afore-mentioned and obvious choices of Matulino, Mannering, Mateo, and Friend. There are others there who have tried - Maloney, and yes, Benry.

I'll probably get a bollocking for saying so, but I also think ET puts in a bit of effort.

Meth

Staff member
He was the same in U20's. Nothing's changed. He needs to be taught.

Would be great if he had a player inside him or outside him that was a solid defender. Hardly a great environment for a young bloke to learn.

Izz

Bench
I just think that Johnson doesn't think he would get dropped. He loves the camera. But I also noticed that he always tries to put a lot of effort in the last five minutes. No wonder Mateo get frustrated.
Yep. Totally agree. First ten, last five is our SJ. Not interested in consistently doing the hard yards, or taking a game by the scruff of the neck in the middle stages. Maybe a bit of second-year syndrome as well?

ET is his own worst enemy in a lot of ways. He needs to relax and play footy.
Yep, this too.

Meth

Staff member
On Taylor, I agree. But again, I think its a case of too much responsibility on him too soon. This year he's had to take on Luck's role and he's just not ready to yet. I'd have him starting in the Vulcans next year.