What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Nutz

Bench
I think on current form about $300K and add about $100k for potential due to his age, so $400k is about right for a short term contract, say 2 years then he can be upgraded depending on form, assuming there are no "options" on the table.
Common-sense contracts aren't working these days unfortunately.
Clubs are desperate to unearth young superstars before they attract big offers from other clubs so as to keep their cap balanced and by the time they hit their peak they are still young...mid twenties and engrained into the club's culture.
Canberra are a classic example. Their guns are young and are firing early...players like Ethan Strange, Kaeo Weekes, Xavier Savage also Chevy Stewart will be firing soon.
It seems that even players on development contracts are attracting big dollars before their nads drop.
Clubs are being forced to pay on potential and not experience as managers have too much power and are very manipulative these days. Raw talent is what it's all about, especially if your rebuilding...again.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It reads as if it is both.

1. Contract clause that (for 12 months) he can't poach anyone from the Storm [*doesn't include off-contract and unwanted players]

2. Gentleman's agreement that he won't sign off-contract players (that the Storm might want to keep)
It does read that way, but in the case of 1. he can’t poach contracted players unless the Storm agree to it. It just seems redundant.

In fact I haven’t seen a clause that redundant since Santa’s wife. @parra pete

Stevie

Bench
Here you go guys :)

The only thing which surprised me about Jason Ryles being appointed Parramatta coach, was how long the Eels board took to make the decision.
The fact the Melbourne Storm anointed Ryles as the person to succeed the iconic Craig Bellamy says everything about his credentials.

The Eels have lucked out with Bellamy deciding to coach on, as if he wasn’t going to, I don’t see Craig getting satisfaction from working the garden and collecting stamps.

Jason Ryles gets to work wooing the Parramatta Eels players

Waiting for Bellamy and Bennett to retire is like leaving the porch light on for Harold Holt. You see what I did there?

That wonderful Jack Gibsonism deserves a new home after Cronulla turned off the light.

The Storm, on Wednesday night, revealed they will release Ryles from his contract at the end of this week so he can begin preparations for his new role as Eels head coach.

ROSTER, ATTITUDE & STYLE PROBLEMS​

For the former Melbourne assistant this is a must; there’s a hell of a lot of work and planning to be done if the Eels are to re-establish themselves as a finals team.

The general belief is that Ryles is inheriting a strong roster. I’m not so sure.

It’s a good-looking roster on paper and in reputation, but there’s a number of key players who have faded significantly in 2024.

Now, it’s a little difficult to work out exactly why, is it the date on the birth certificate? Or the fact they needed a change of coach and system of play? Maybe it’s both.

Parramatta’s middle defence is of primary concern. No team has been torn to shreds through the centre field more than the Eels.

Jason Ryles should make developing Blaize Talagi his key priority. Picture: Chris Hyde/Getty Images

Jason Ryles should make developing Blaize Talagi his key priority. Picture: Chris Hyde/Getty Images
The defensive performance against the Dolphins in Round 7 is the clearest example. The Eels led 8-4 at half time, at full-time it was 44-16 to the Redcliffe men.

In the first half, the Eels had 52 per cent possession, completed 20 of 24 sets (83 per cent) and enjoyed 58 per cent of the territory.

In the second stanza, Parramatta had just 42 per cent possession, with just eight of their 11 sets completed and 44 per cent territory.

I’ve rarely seen a defensive collapse like it. Fatigue? Attitude? Both.

Change is needed, a change of defensive system, a change of attitude and a change of personnel.

The problem for Ryles is the difficulty of turning over key parts of the roster. There’s not a lot of talent on the market to start with and they’re competing for signatures with big clubs like the Sydney Roosters, who have a ton of money freed up to spend, and Wayne Bennett’s South Sydney, who equally need changes in personnel.

BLAIZE A NEW ROLE FOR GUTHO​

So, if there’s not going to be a solid roster turnover, there needs to be a change of system, a refreshing of style and some key positional switches.

Ryles needs to keep Blaize Talagi. He should pitch a tent outside Blaize’s house and refuse to move on until he pledges his future to Parramatta.

He’s crucial because he’s central to the changes I would look to make.

Clint Gutherson needs to move to five-eighth. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

Clint Gutherson needs to move to five-eighth. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images
Clint Gutherson has arrived at the junction that many fullbacks do, including Darren Lockyer. The physical demands of fullback take a heavy toll on players who’ve held the position over a long period of time.

Fullbacks are at the mercy of aggressive kick chases, no position endures as much high-speed collision like the No.1s.

Lockyer shifted to five-eighth to prolong his career and I’d do the same with Gutho.

BIGGER SWITCH FOR DYLAN BROWN​

At the very least, I would experiment with Talagi at fullback, Gutho at six, Mitchell Moses at seven and Dylan Brown at 13.

The obvious challenge for Brown would be the defensive toll of being a middle defender, but he doesn’t need to defend in the centre field.

In the 1990s, the lock was an edge defender. The 13 and the six would both defend third man in from the touchline, on either side of the field. That’s exactly how I would place Brown in the defensive line.

Dylan Brown will benefit from a move to lock. Picture: NRL Photos

As far as attack, the 13 role would completely free up Brown, not being nailed down to one side of the field, which most halves systems enforce.

I’d allow Brown to float around the field in a maverick role, picking and choosing his moments with an onus on run-first, past-second football. These changes would naturally bring a new formula, which is needed because the current one ain’t working.

For Ryles this is a dream job — the Eels are a huge club with a loyal supporter base desperate for title success.

On the flip side, that brings pressure. He knows he can’t waste time sitting behind a desk in Melbourne, he has to get to work.

JokerEel

Coach
Here you go guys :)

The only thing which surprised me about Jason Ryles being appointed Parramatta coach, was how long the Eels board took to make the decision.
The fact the Melbourne Storm anointed Ryles as the person to succeed the iconic Craig Bellamy says everything about his credentials.

The Eels have lucked out with Bellamy deciding to coach on, as if he wasn’t going to, I don’t see Craig getting satisfaction from working the garden and collecting stamps.

Jason Ryles gets to work wooing the Parramatta Eels players

Waiting for Bellamy and Bennett to retire is like leaving the porch light on for Harold Holt. You see what I did there?

That wonderful Jack Gibsonism deserves a new home after Cronulla turned off the light.

The Storm, on Wednesday night, revealed they will release Ryles from his contract at the end of this week so he can begin preparations for his new role as Eels head coach.

ROSTER, ATTITUDE & STYLE PROBLEMS​

For the former Melbourne assistant this is a must; there’s a hell of a lot of work and planning to be done if the Eels are to re-establish themselves as a finals team.

The general belief is that Ryles is inheriting a strong roster. I’m not so sure.

It’s a good-looking roster on paper and in reputation, but there’s a number of key players who have faded significantly in 2024.

Now, it’s a little difficult to work out exactly why, is it the date on the birth certificate? Or the fact they needed a change of coach and system of play? Maybe it’s both.

Parramatta’s middle defence is of primary concern. No team has been torn to shreds through the centre field more than the Eels.

The defensive performance against the Dolphins in Round 7 is the clearest example. The Eels led 8-4 at half time, at full-time it was 44-16 to the Redcliffe men.

In the first half, the Eels had 52 per cent possession, completed 20 of 24 sets (83 per cent) and enjoyed 58 per cent of the territory.

In the second stanza, Parramatta had just 42 per cent possession, with just eight of their 11 sets completed and 44 per cent territory.

I’ve rarely seen a defensive collapse like it. Fatigue? Attitude? Both.

Change is needed, a change of defensive system, a change of attitude and a change of personnel.

The problem for Ryles is the difficulty of turning over key parts of the roster. There’s not a lot of talent on the market to start with and they’re competing for signatures with big clubs like the Sydney Roosters, who have a ton of money freed up to spend, and Wayne Bennett’s South Sydney, who equally need changes in personnel.

BLAIZE A NEW ROLE FOR GUTHO​

So, if there’s not going to be a solid roster turnover, there needs to be a change of system, a refreshing of style and some key positional switches.

Ryles needs to keep Blaize Talagi. He should pitch a tent outside Blaize’s house and refuse to move on until he pledges his future to Parramatta.

He’s crucial because he’s central to the changes I would look to make.

Clint Gutherson has arrived at the junction that many fullbacks do, including Darren Lockyer. The physical demands of fullback take a heavy toll on players who’ve held the position over a long period of time.

Fullbacks are at the mercy of aggressive kick chases, no position endures as much high-speed collision like the No.1s.

Lockyer shifted to five-eighth to prolong his career and I’d do the same with Gutho.

BIGGER SWITCH FOR DYLAN BROWN​

At the very least, I would experiment with Talagi at fullback, Gutho at six, Mitchell Moses at seven and Dylan Brown at 13.

The obvious challenge for Brown would be the defensive toll of being a middle defender, but he doesn’t need to defend in the centre field.

In the 1990s, the lock was an edge defender. The 13 and the six would both defend third man in from the touchline, on either side of the field. That’s exactly how I would place Brown in the defensive line.

As far as attack, the 13 role would completely free up Brown, not being nailed down to one side of the field, which most halves systems enforce.

I’d allow Brown to float around the field in a maverick role, picking and choosing his moments with an onus on run-first, past-second football. These changes would naturally bring a new formula, which is needed because the current one ain’t working.

For Ryles this is a dream job — the Eels are a huge club with a loyal supporter base desperate for title success.

On the flip side, that brings pressure. He knows he can’t waste time sitting behind a desk in Melbourne, he has to get to work.

Interesting ideas was this article from Joey Johns?

I was thinking Brown needed to model his Game on Fittler so a move to 13 may work...

Soto

Bench
Dylan Brown lock or hooker..
Guth 5/8
Blaize Penisin centres
Lomax Fullback
Then need two wingers...
I wonder if there is a connection Ryles with Ado Carr. Someone or some players are going to have to be squeezed out at the dogs. They have a dearth of outside backs now
I'd get Ado Carr in a heartbeat...he would be good for speed factor, morale and positivity

Gronk

Staff member

Middle half.

JokerEel

Coach
Dylan Brown lock or hooker..
Guth 5/8
Blaize Penisin centres
Lomax Fullback
Then need two wingers...
I wonder if there is a connection Ryles with Ado Carr. Someone or some players are going to have to be squeezed out at the dogs. They have a dearth of outside backs now
I'd get Ado Carr in a heartbeat...he would be good for speed factor, morale and positivity

We need a Hooker to play Hooker

Brown Guthos Carty are not Hookers

I like Ado Carr or the former storm winger who is of playing rugby