What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players who can attract outside income

Munky

Coach
With all the talk regarding third party payments it got me thinking about which players would actually be able to be the face of a large business.

Looking at Gilette for example they have Roger Federer, Tiger Woods and Thierry Henry. These three are probably the most marketable sportsmen in the world (well maybe not Henry). They are at the top of their respective sports. To me they come accross as humble, articulate and likeable blokes. Most importantly they look good to those not interested in the sport/ I'm no real tennis or golf fan but I want to see Federer and Tiger win.

What NRL players have the ability to be the face of a company and attract large third party payments?

Look at the players we are losing or have lost and some of the incidents they have been linked to.

The likes of Gower and Gasnier (plus many others) don't have the ability to be the face of a company and get the big bucks. They don't have the charisma, looks or are articulate enough to do media gigs. SBW has a few of the attributes but his indiscretions outside the game have impacted on his public image and marketability. As I wrote in another thread, didn't he lose sponsorship from a BMW dealer because he lost his licence?

In thinking of current NRL players who could project the right image and look the part I could only think of Benji Marshall. He looks the part, has the talent, speaks well and doesn't have a huge amount of off field baggage.

Your Lockyers, Joeys, Cameron Smiths IMO don't have the 'it' factor required to be brand onto themselves.

While the current salary cap arrangement may restrict an NRL footballers earnings IMO they are kidding themselves if they think they can make money on their own image.

Just look at David Beckham and Brett Lee to see what difference good looks and the ability speak well makes to marketing potential compared to actual playing ability. These blokes are excellent at their respective sports but not the the best.

Does anyone else agree? Flame away.

Inferno

Coach
If they want an outside income, I'm sure Bird and Gallen could get into business as debt collectors...

Eels Dude

Coach
Some players are more marketable than others. Guys like Sonny Bill, Gasnier, Slater, Inglis would be great representatives based on their image as athletes and their name in the game. Other blokes Smith, Cronk, Kite etc probably wouldn't be as much. I don't think we should be stopping these guys from earning extra money if they're up to it. If they've a good reputation they should be able to use it. Gasnier for example, had a contract with Nine, but it looks like 18 months into it they realised they weren't getting their value out of him and thus he lost it.

In regards to rugby league, being in a one city town helps for someone's marketability. So while using Bowen in advertising in Townsville, Buderas in Newcastle etc can be very effective.

sass

Juniors
I completely agree with you munky ... there are very few nrl players at the moment who I think are really marketable. I said in another thread that sbw was a special case. until he f**ked it up he was probably the most commercial player in the league - talented, recognisable, young, good-looking and popular across demographics.

I think everyone else is miiiiiles behind where he was.

Tom Ace

Bench
I completely agree with you munky ... there are very few nrl players at the moment who I think are really marketable. I said in another thread that sbw was a special case. until he f**ked it up he was probably the most commercial player in the league - talented, recognisable, young, good-looking and popular across demographics.

I think everyone else is miiiiiles behind where he was.

Although when he opened his mouth unfortunately all we got was the occasionally word "poly" and something about a "tough game on the weekend".

If he had Gasnier or Slaters ability to speak he would of been perfect.

sass

Juniors
Although when he opened his mouth unfortunately all we got was the occasionally word "poly" and something about a "tough game on the weekend".

If he had Gasnier or Slaters ability to speak he would of been perfect.

shhh yes that bit too. but even taking into account his inability to speak english, I still stand by my point. WHICH I THINK SAYS IT ALL. *looks at the rest of the nrl boys*

bartman

Immortal
I think for most NRL stars wishing to make extra money, they have to kind of master that Keanu Reeves "look good and don't say much" style...?

Sonny Bill had the good looks, could wear the grey suit quite well - but it all started to fall apart when he opened his mouth.

The Colonel

Immortal
In similar terms to Woods, Beckham, Federer and even Brett Lee, the NRL doesn't have anyone in that mould at all.

In a player like Krisnan Inu - the NRL have a gem here and they fail to use it. Clean cut image and really personable.

There are marketable players in the NRL, the NRL need to use them in something that best suits them. Nathan Hindmarsh is a bit of a sportsnut and outdoor type and Channel Nine could do worse than some of the people they put on shows like The Great Outdoors or even Wide World of Sports. While he isn't instantly recognisable to people outside of league, a push in his profiule away from league would be a decent benefit, while he isn't in the same league as Ettingshausen or Wing he does have a reasonable presence on TV.

I know I have only used a couple of examples from the team I follow but the NRL have gone away from pushing players like they did years ago outside of the Footy Show genre.

Kiki

First Grade
yeh Hindy is awesome and really hilarious. he should be on TV for sure.

Chapsta

Juniors
Mark O'Meley can be sponsered by the Australian Council for Adult Literacy. A pin-up boy of sorts...

Eels Dude

Coach
In similar terms to Woods, Beckham, Federer and even Brett Lee, the NRL doesn't have anyone in that mould at all.

In a player like Krisnan Inu - the NRL have a gem here and they fail to use it. Clean cut image and really personable.

There are marketable players in the NRL, the NRL need to use them in something that best suits them. Nathan Hindmarsh is a bit of a sportsnut and outdoor type and Channel Nine could do worse than some of the people they put on shows like The Great Outdoors or even Wide World of Sports. While he isn't instantly recognisable to people outside of league, a push in his profiule away from league would be a decent benefit, while he isn't in the same league as Ettingshausen or Wing he does have a reasonable presence on TV.

I know I have only used a couple of examples from the team I follow but the NRL have gone away from pushing players like they did years ago outside of the Footy Show genre.

Woods, Beckham etc are not only great athletes but are also very popular which makes them very marketable.

Guys like Inu and Hindmarsh are very likeable but they don't have marketability aspects that these guys have. They're both well liked, but slightly shy and try and avoid too much publicity. On the other hand, guys like Gasnier, Mason etc are willing to sell themselves.

I don't think it should be the NRL to promote players, they should promote the game and players if need be. However, if certain players in the NRL want to sell themselves as the elite it should be up to them. They gain the benefits if so.

Kiki

First Grade
oh no no i think he will grow into it. and by grow i mean we will force him.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Out of all the current crop of players I think the most marketable is Craig Wing. Unfortunately, RL is only popular in NSW and QLD so advertisers tend to use someone with more national appeal. Cricketers are good this way. AFL players to a lesser extent in Sydney and Brisbane but we still see them.

Eels Dude

Coach
Out of all the current crop of players I think the most marketable is Craig Wing. Unfortunately, RL is only popular in NSW and QLD so advertisers tend to use someone with more national appeal. Cricketers are good this way. AFL players to a lesser extent in Sydney and Brisbane but we still see them.

Apart from Barry Hall and Adam Goodes, they don't market any other AFL players in Sydney. Cricketers work, but only in the summer, but networks never pay as much for ratings in the summer so it's a lot less effective.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Billy slater in a great sports car commercial featuring him, a sports car and road runner scorching up a drag strip. I should be in marketing!

Unfortunately in half the country most RL players are unknown so not very marketable hence the Dragons struggling to find a deal for Gasnier. I bet if you did a national survey asking people to name the captains of Australias International teams the Kanagroos captain would be one of the least known.