What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players who can attract outside income

Pigskin

Juniors
One of the main reasons not many players are marketable to large corporations is cause they are all gagged. Relax what they can say to the media and have some of their personalities come through and you never know what you might find.

Sam Thaiday, Manu Vatuvai, Carl Webb, Michael Weyman, Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva, Willie Mason, Hazem El Masri, Matt Bowen, Todd Carney, Adam McDougall, Wendell Sailor, Benji Marshall, Krisnan Inu, Mark Riddell, Billy Slater, Paul Gallen, Ray Cashmere ... i could see all these players being marketed in some way - some in obscure fashion

Anybody with something a bit different about them could be marketable in some way ... but we never hear anything out of their mouths except cliches because they'll be bringing the dam game into disrepute or something.

Stop sanitising the game would be a good start in getting interest/crowds back to RL

Imagine Carl Webb says in the media that he is gonna punch Willie Mason's lights out in a boxing match post-season, they are allowed to fight, keep the cash, a media circus ensues, and the 2 clubs play each other soon after ... instead of 10k at the SFS, you might get 20k

off the top of my head

edit :- my wife was watching Australia's version of Project Runway the other night, and the designers had to design a cocktail dress for AFL players girlfriends etc to wear to the Brownlow Medal ... passing through getting food, they were all glamours as you'd expect, but the Brownlow means something and is a prestigious event - when was the last time League got a look in like this ? I'm sure this is relevant to the thread in some way, but i've lost my train of thought ... so bleh

Oink !

Last edited:

Kiki

First Grade
have you seen the stuff some of the NRL players girlfriends wear to the Dally M's?? i dont think any fashion show would want to be associated with that diaster.

i agree with you about ungagging the players though. i love sam thaiday hes an absolute crack up.