What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players who smoke

ali

Bench
sanchez moreno said:
how much of an effect does smoking actually have on fitness capabilities

Well it does have a significant effect on the amount of oxygen that can get to your heart.

Peach does whilst on the bourbens, as does Mark O'Meley.

sheldy

Juniors
I seriously doubt that Darren Lockyer, The club, state and international captain, would smoke. he would have to be a tip top shape constantly and smoking would really effects his capabilites.

sheldy said:
I seriously doubt that Darren Lockyer, The club, state and international captain, would smoke. he would have to be a tip top shape constantly and smoking would really effects his capabilites.

Brad Fittler is a smoker, and he did all of the above. (Not that I'm condoning it).

I'm sure Craig Gower doesn't smoke now, as it states in his player facts data that one of his pet hates is smoking - though he probably did have one or two at one stage as Moffo said.

One of my Roosters mates also told me that Anthony Minichiello smokes, but I don't believe him. Can any Roosters fan confirm this?

STSAE

Juniors
stormman said:
Ian Roberts... he has been smoking androtops

ROFLOL, thats funny.

Ive seen a very prominent player (mentioned here previously) bust out a few "hong kongs", right in front of my eyes. And no b4 anyone asks or tries to guess, I wont spill the beans. It was a few years ago, might I add, but it happened.

Heaps of players smoke, especially those out on "disco biscuits".

And if you think that dosent happen, it does, every weekend, they are only human after all.

As for it affecting their performance, I dont think so. Its still a filthy habit that should not be encouraged, in my opinion.

Red Bear

Referee
The Mighty Panther said:
Brad Fittler is a smoker, and he did all of the above. (Not that I'm condoning it).

I'm sure Craig Gower doesn't smoke now, as it states in his player facts data that one of his pet hates is smoking - though he probably did have one or two at one stage as Moffo said.

One of my Roosters mates also told me that Anthony Minichiello smokes, but I don't believe him. Can any Roosters fan confirm this?
Was he a smoker all through his career or just while at Penrith?

miccle

Bench
The thing about smoking in regards to performance is that smoking often only has physical effects after a fairly long period of time... and that is most noticeable with people who don't really exercise.

Take me for example. I'm 22, and have been smoking on and off for about 4 years... quit twice for a couple of months each time in there. I exercise every morning, running and walking, exercise bike, pushups and situps all involved.

I'm fitter than many of my non-smoking mates, and I reckon guys who are in their mid-20's and workout every day of the week like pro footballers wouldn't feel it *too* much.

RABK

Referee
Anthony Quinn, Brad Tighe, Milton Thaiday, Todd Lowrie and Adam Woolnough from the Knights all smoke.

MKEB...

Staff member
sheldy said:

Are you a bit naive?

Leagueguy

Juniors
I'm surprised clubs condone it. I thought players smoking in public would have been regarded as more sinister than it is. It's probably a worse look than players being drunk and a bit loud. Its especially a bad influence on young kids.

shaggy

Juniors
Matt Gafa does, i saw him light up 1nce not long after a raiders v sharks premier league game