What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players who started playing at a late age

grouch

First Grade
Over the years I've read articles about players who didn't play any rugby league until their mid-teens yet still played in the NRL. Anyone aware of some of these players? Thanks

dragon_around

Juniors
Mikaele Ravalawa was playing rugby before Canberra then Dragons signed him. He didn't really know all the rules when he made his first grade debut.

Perth Tiger

Bench
That Eli Katoa from the Warriors only started playing league a couple of years ago, or so I am told every time he touches the ball!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brian Carney didnt play a game of RL until he was in his early 20's. Jonathon Davies not until his late 20's I suspect there is a few Union converts who didnt play League until their 20's.

The oldest debutante in the professional game I can think of would have to be Gareth Thomas who made his RL debut in SL for the Crusaders aged 36!

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Pretty sure I read Nathan Cleary didn’t play League until he was 12 or 13.. I know that’s still quite young but considering he was playing halfback in first grade at 18 it’s pretty impressive.

DeeJ

Bench
Nick Kenny started playing for his uni when he was 17 or 18.

I've wondered before if there is a correlation between starting late and having a shorter career like Kenny or Denan Kemp.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Benji played touch until he was 16, came over to with a sister school keebra park has in nz just as a spectator and decided to join the group of guys that moved over to play for them. Played his first game of league in year 12 (i played in the game before this one). Made his NRL debut while still a student the next year.

David "The Limmo " Simmons didn't start playing League until he was 15 or 16, always played soccer before that.
Hazem El Masri would be one you're looking for wouldn't he?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Latest posts