What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players you rated who ended up dissapointing you

Hallatia

Referee
Jarryd Hayne:sarcasm:

I know it is a strange thing to say, but at the end of the year he did disappoint. My uncle was overseas the latter half of the season, but returned before the finals, he got to hear all the hype about Jarryd Hayne, but after every game he saw he would come to me telling me how ordinary and overrated Jarryd Hayne is ... I would always defend Hayne, but the truth is he was ordinary in the finals, so I guess he did disappoint after being rated so highly...

Big Pete

Referee
Parramatta always seems to produce a number of dissapointing players.

Players that come to mind...

Tim Smith
Eric Grothe Jr.
Ben Smith
Brett Delaney
Michael Vella
Blake Green
Krisnan Inu

Tasesa Lavea is another name that springs to mind.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Im not dissapointed that he didnt kick on, but rather dissapointed he didnt get the chance to, but Sonny Fai.

Tim Smith also has dissapointed me, he had the world at his feet.

Noa

First Grade
Alternative title for this thread, "I'm a horrible evaluator of talent".

Loudstrat

Coach
:lol: Especially in Pete's case.

My nomination is Willie Mason - coulda been the bloke they build the test pack around.

nqcowboy87

Bench
brett firman-next international playmaker, currently wearing the no 7 for helensburgh

joe williams-souths saviour, lavington panthers and aspiring boxer

jamie soward when he was at the roosters

tame tupou-potentially the next lesley vainikolo

trent young-standout qld cup hooker went to souths and bombed

shannon walker-2007 most amazing talent in the qcup and has since floated around in reggies not casuing a stir

brett anderson-(biased cause he used to live down the road from me) played three games back in 04 for parra and was set to have a pretty good future but has since drifted around the nsw and qld cups

jackson nicolau-(another innisfail bias) was groomed as scott hills replacement but has not done anything, he just doesnt seem to want it enough

manas manakoufa-could have been one of souths best forward but has been dividing his time between cowboys and qcup

josh lewis-dragons flegg star, hit it big with the roosters and then disappeared at the titans, is currently playing for balmain

jardine bobongie-made a big impact in the 04 flegg final for cronulla and could have become a cult hero in the same vein as daine laurie but has drifted around three clubs and is back home in mackay playing qcup

david myles-i know he was a journeyman but after the 04 series i really thought he could have had a good few seasons in fg for nq or another club

gavin cooper- i know he plays regular first grade but i really thought hed be pushing for rep selection

Last edited:

Ridders

Coach
So far from the current crop of players, it would be Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, although to be fair to him, injuries have played a big part. Still has plenty of time to be as dominant as I think he can be.

Imho he is the strongest player in the NRL. The guy is a machine.

Last edited:

nqcowboy87

Bench
Royston Lightning, just tragic

definetly, you should have seen him at cairns kangaroos, he would have fish and chips anda can of coke before a game and then go out and win man of the match. he almost made a comeback to the nrl when he was at mackay cutters in the qcup, but is back in the mackay comp

Cuppy

Juniors
From a Raiders point of view, as already stated J.Ale is up there. But I think the one and only Craig Frawley takes the cake. He had a lot of expectations placed on him when he went to Canberra and absolutely failed to deliver. A lot of young backs who leave the broncos early could end up on this list, they have a habit of not kicking on at other clubs.

Canard

Immortal
You and the club had too high expectations then. Firman, Graham, Rovelli and Hegarty were all discards from their respective clubs at the time, unable to even crack a first grade spot and were unwanted. If you and the Cowboys had big expectations from them then that was rather stupid.

Nobody of sane mind expected "big things" from Shannon Hegarty at this stage of his career, he was a pure "depth" signing at best and as many predicted played mostly at QCup level.

typicalfan

Coach
Discards from other clubs can become great signings, and you need them to keep superstars like Thurston. Look at Jeff Robson except for the Grand Final he was fantastic for the Eels in the games leading up, how about Bryson Goodwin for the Bulldogs he was considered the lesser of the Goodwin brothers and look at him now. Brett Finch is another.

beave

Coach
Johnathon Davies, he scored one decent try for us when he played against the knights down in Newy, but other than that he was useless back in 1995. His biggest asset apparently was his goal kicking, he was $hit at that as well. And he had the hide to bag the club as he got on the plane to take his pasty white a$$ back to Wales.

Paul Green- f#$king useless, I went to an open training session in 2000 and Tim Sheens absolutely gave it to him for being a lazy pr!ck and not putting in during the session. I also remember Sheens putting him to fullback during a game down in Canberra, that's how good a half he was.......... Although Noel Goldthorpe was not much better talent wise on the field, at least he put in and gave a $hit. It still blows me away they signed those 2 at the same time, would have been the smallest halves pairing in the NRL.

we have had sooooo damn many to be honest, it's hard to list them all.

Other notables for NQ

Lomax, Brett Hetherington, Noa Nadruku, Ian Roberts (injury cruelled his stint up here to be fair), Martin Bella (nice work punching out the reserve grade coach ya big tit)

Ulysseus

Bench
Charlie Leaneo, went well for a while there at Saints, had the god given gift of size and strength, lacked tackling technique but didn't need it, he just had to get in the road of the other player and throw his arms at them such was the size.
I believe he went to the doggies and ended up playing in a lower grade grand final in the season just gone.

He may still become something, but maybe he lacks to natural anger and balls to be all he could have been.

Nook

Bench
Troy Wozniak and Willie Manu for the Tigers. Would have liked to have seen either / both of them in a team with decent halves.

nqcowboy87

Bench
Charlie Leaneo, went well for a while there at Saints, had the god given gift of size and strength, lacked tackling technique but didn't need it, he just had to get in the road of the other player and throw his arms at them such was the size.
I believe he went to the doggies and ended up playing in a lower grade grand final in the season just gone.

He may still become something, but maybe he lacks to natural anger and balls to be all he could have been.

definetly, he was the biggest and strongest in the entire club back in 05 when he was in jf and just hasnt hit his straps but hopefully soon, i only saw him play in the 05 jf gf but he reminded me of solomon haumono

Pumba

First Grade

He has just signed with the Newtown Jets.