What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing for ZERO points?

This Year?

Immortal
I'm all for the NRL coming down hard on the storm but what does everyone think about them being forced to play on for zero points?

I think it's foolish.

Surely there could have been a better solution.

Are we honestly expectd to believe they will give 100% for the rest of the year? Please!

I think they should be suspended from playing for the rest of the season.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
They're $700k over the cap THIS season! :lol:

and the NRL could tell them any games they play whilst $700k over will not result in any points for them, make them shed players (unlike the dogs rort) before they're allowed to earn points.

but right now nothing melb do is going to have any impact on them and the current premiership which makes them even being in the comp this year farcial

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Nothing to play for is going to be very hard psychologically.

If I were part of the Melbourne coaching staff I'de try and salvage something from the season by changing the style of play from their consistently succesful but dour arm wrestle stuff to an attack at all costs policy.

Might win them some respect from opposition fans and importantly give them a reason to go out and do it all. Hell they might even have some fun doing it as it's gonna be a long year.

Good post.

The way I see it there are three options for the Storm players and coaching staff in 2010:
1. Give up, you've got nothing to play for.
2. Go your hardest, fight your way out of it to regain as much personal respect as you can.
3. Basically Smithtown's suggestion, you CAN'T win but you can entertain ... essentially do it for the fans (at least that's how I'd spin it).

Bellamy seems more like a 2. kind of guy. As a footy fan, though, 3. is the most appealing.

Anon

Bench
How can the NRL knowingly allow Melbourne to field a team that is $700k over the salary cap and potentially beat teams who are playing by the rules? It's bad enough that four teams have already lost to these cheats this year.

And what if your star player gets ruled out for the season because of an injury during a Storm game?

sh*t, that would be harsh. I'd be absolutely filthy if we lost Burt.

Having said that, there's not much you can do. You have to make sure they don't make the finals. No accrual of points is the same as being docked 20 or whatever. They'd know they couldn't make it so it would have the same effect on their play.

Kicking them out for the year would a) breach our contract with our broadcast partners b) be unfair to teams who don't have to play them twice c) be unfair to teams who have already lost to them (and had injuries during those games) and d) kill the Storm (which we cannot let happen).

In effect, it's a no-win situation.

Do I think the NRL got it wrong? Yes.

Do I think they could have got it right? I don't think so.

Unfortunately we have to suck it up and hope that the Storm can still play entertaining football whilst not causing opposing players injuries.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think they should be stripped of all current wins.
If they can sack enough talent to get under the cap, they should be allowed to play for points. I hope the NRL seriously considers this option. Playing for no points is ridiculous. Chances are they will still win, and some other club will miss out on the 8 by 1 point or something having lost to the still over the cap Storm.

nqcowboy87

Bench
they need to be given the right to play for points, players let go from their roster and get on with it

FamilyFirst

Juniors
If they can sack enough talent to get under the cap, they should be allowed to play for points. I hope the NRL seriously considers this option. Playing for no points is ridiculous. Chances are they will still win, and some other club will miss out on the 8 by 1 point or something having lost to the still over the cap Storm.

The NRL can take no chance of the Storm winning the premiership. If they won the title after a forecast 700k breach it would make a mockery of stripping their 2007 and 2009 titles. The Storm has been a failure from its inception. They have done nothing but win, yet nine doesn't show their games because the people of Victoria just don't care.

The NRL cannot afford to prostitute itself for the Melbourne Storm. The credibility of the competition is at stake!

FF

Iafeta

Referee

Don't you think that certain union bodies would oppose that quite severely? Don't you think our own players association would boycott certain parameters of the competition if that was to be the case?

Nothing has been proven against a solitary player thus far. To sack them because of executive misconduct is an enormous fallacy and grossly unfair for the players concerned.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I agree with the suggestion of giving them half the season to cut players to get under the cap, during which time no points can be earned.

Cant force players out so ask them. "Guys, we all still want to win the premiership this year, but we cant do it together. Put bluntly we need to shed a couple of players. We can organise other clubs that would be willing to pay you a decent if not similar wage. Any volunteers?"

Its not such a big ask, Newcastle have room in their cap I hear. Im sure they would love a player like Brett White or Sika Manu. Canberra has room? Im sure there would be some in the Melbourne roster who would rather play for another club in the hope of winning the premiership then to play for the year with no hope of winning the premiership

FamilyFirst

Juniors
I agree with the suggestion of giving them half the season to cut players to get under the cap, during which time no points can be earned.

Cant force players out so ask them. "Guys, we all still want to win the premiership this year, but we cant do it together. Put bluntly we need to shed a couple of players. We can organise other clubs that would be willing to pay you a decent if not similar wage. Any volunteers?"

Its not such a big ask, Newcastle have room in their cap I hear. Im sure they would love a player like Brett White or Sika Manu. Canberra has room? Im sure there would be some in the Melbourne roster who would rather play for another club in the hope of winning the premiership then to play for the year with no hope of winning the premiership

The NRL set a precedent when they stripped the two premierships. Melbourne must have zero opportunity to win the premiership this year. What is there to understand?

What if they won, strip it retrospectively again? Do you want rugby league to be a joke?

FF

nqcowboy87

Bench
gus made a great point, they should get themselves under the cap, if players are corced to leaved so be it, make them start from a negative, and if players are injured make them pick from the nyc and nsw cup or vrl, and be forced to battle it out

It's simple.

Let Melbourne start accruing points again when they fit under the cap. That way they no longer have an illegal squad of players can earn points for wins.

Players who are punted would still have the rest of their contract paid out by Melbourne and could play for anyone (ie: another club offers them match payments, fitting them under their cap)

nqcowboy87

Bench
It's simple.

Let Melbourne start accruing points again when they fit under the cap. That way they no longer have an illegal squad of players can earn points for wins.

Players who are punted would still have the rest of their contract paid out by Melbourne and could play for anyone (ie: another club offers them match payments, fitting them under their cap)

exactly

Alex28

Coach
Definitely not. Inglis could then have his contract paid out by the Storm and then play for say the Dragons on match payments?

If they are cut by the Storm then they would have to agree to have their contract terminated and sign a fresh contract with another club. That way the player has the choice to either collect the cash and not play for a premiership, or play for another club and shore up their future (but take a hit potentially this year).

Matt23

Staff member
It's simple.

Agree 100%