What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please, anyone else in 2021

Colk

First Grade
I’ve never liked that title. We were Manly before being Manly was a thing. We’re the originals with the hate for us starting with the Packer funded 74/75 premiership sides. Manly hate came soon after with their player raids and then cemented with Arko taking over the game.

74/75 is before I was born. My earliest memory of the game is probably about 92 when I was living in Victoria. The only teams that were on TV (and as a very young kid I used to watch the games at around midnight) were the Raiders (that’s why I go for them), Broncos, Manly and the Bulldogs. Maybe St George as well. Great times. Anyway I remember that’s when the Manly hate was big (with Arko there as well)

The Roosters hate for me came in the mid to late 90’s when you bought Fittler and a few others and had a shot at a few of the Raiders during the Super League war.

Iamback

Coach
Penrith will win the competition again or I’d be very surprised if they don’t. I agree with the general thrust of this thread - we do need to see some more movement back and forth between the sides and their ladder position - the competition would benefit from the Tigers, Warriors and GC being in the finals for a few years and the Roosters for example being on the bottom. You would generate a lot more interest.

The issue is those at the bottom have no patience.

Iamback

Coach
I’d say Roosters losing to one of the three you mentioned would serve better. The big game needs a bad guy. Unites the plebs, err neutrals I mean 😛

We played you guys in SG Ball GF
You guys should win Jersey Flegg
We will win NSW Cup

So plenty of years for fans of the loser teams to hate us

74/75 is before I was born. My earliest memory of the game is probably about 92 when I was living in Victoria. The only teams that were on TV (and as a very young kid I used to watch the games at around midnight) were the Raiders (that’s why I go for them), Broncos, Manly and the Bulldogs. Maybe St George as well. Great times. Anyway I remember that’s when the Manly hate was big (with Arko there as well)

The Roosters hate for me came in the mid to late 90’s when you bought Fittler and a few others and had a shot at a few of the Raiders during the Super League war.
Surely you can forgive the SL raids. Not only was everyone doing it but they started it FFS.

@The Lounge Lizard mentioned he’d been living with the Manly hate since 68. We’re all learning something today.

Valheru

Coach

The irony about that is there is a narrative that persists to this day by a lot of Penrith fans that we continuously raid their club. Since Freddy, the only established first grader I can think that we signed from Penrith is Jennings and he got sacked by the panthers. I think young May is our only Penrith junior currently in the first grade squad.

Colk

First Grade
The issue is those at the bottom have no patience.

Partly true. Although having only a straight salary cap doesn’t help.

I am not in favour of a full on draft by any means (it wouldn’t happen in League anyway) but the one positive in that model is that it actually properly aligns fan expectations with where the team is at. The reason is that fans know that a) the club is not going well and they are not going to challenge this year or for the short term future but b.) they can see a way out. Thus we will be crap for the foreseeable future but we have a ton of juniors and the team should steadily improve. That also means that coaches and players get more time.

In the environment that we have it’s hard to align fans to a long term view because generally there is very seldom any major advantage in developing talent - for example there are no concessions in developing or playing a lot of young talent. Also besides Penrith, the main sides that have achieved success have been those that recruit.

The irony about that is there is a narrative that persists to this day by a lot of Penrith fans that we continuously raid their club. Since Freddy, the only established first grader I can think that we signed from Penrith is Jennings and he got sacked by the panthers. I think young May is our only Penrith junior currently in the first grade squad.
Didn’t Penrith sign onto SL without telling Freddy who was deadset against it? Can a Pennies fan shed light on this please?

Colk

First Grade
Surely you can forgive the SL raids. Not only was everyone doing it but they started it FFS.

@The Lounge Lizard mentioned he’d been living with the Manly hate since 68. We’re all learning something today.

Don’t you know that League fans have long memories. I’m pissed that we went to Super League to be fair - they should of renamed the Bronco League