What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please, anyone else in 2021

Tweed Titan

Bench
A draft isn’t the solution. Some clubs are just terribly run. A draft won’t solve that.

The Dragons would deadset use their first draft pick to bring in Aiden Tolman to partner Aaron Woods in the front row.
A draft won't fix everything. But if you don't think it would help even the talent pool significantly you are delusional.

It's much better than the current system of player agents and NRL scouts ambulance chasing 14 year-olds around and the blue chip prospects having their pick of teams to sign for, with the rich getting richer.

Iamback

Coach
A draft won't fix everything. But if you don't think it would help even the talent pool significantly you are delusional.

It's much better than the current system of player agents and NRL scouts ambulance chasing 14 year-olds around and the blue chip prospects having their pick of teams to sign for, with the rich getting richer.

The moment the Tigers punted Madge, They gave up on this year. Imagine sides tanking half a season?

They are running 3rd in Jersey Flegg, They have debuted a few of those guys. What is the point of doing that in a draft? The players will be going elsewhere.

You would get clubs just clocking off early as other sports with a draft does

Iamback

Coach
Imagine if another club had the draw the sharkies have had.

Rothfield would have done an article on it by now on his Monday Buzz on how uneven the draw is.

Probably explains why we haven't seen the annual draw whinge. It always cracks me up

Billythekid

First Grade

Can you show an example of a sport where a draft has balanced it out? Doesn’t seem to help the AFL. And for sports like the NBA it just makes half the league tank at the mere sniff of a bad season.

The draft won’t do shit. Also go back through the last 10 years and look at the players the tigers have had. They’ve had star players, shit people like Teddy would be number 1 draft picks. Ultimately it doesn’t matter because their club is run like f**king garbage.

Colk

First Grade
Can you show an example of a sport where a draft has balanced it out? Doesn’t seem to help the AFL. And for sports like the NBA it just makes half the league tank at the mere sniff of a bad season.

The draft won’t do shit. Also go back through the last 10 years and look at the players the tigers have had. They’ve had star players, shit people like Teddy would be number 1 draft picks. Ultimately it doesn’t matter because their club is run like f**king garbage.

There are some ways of evening up a competition without going down the idea of a draft or full draft.

Iamback

Coach
There are some ways of evening up a competition without going down the idea of a draft or full draft.

Just need better coaching and teams to want to develop.

Interesting Dolphins agreed to pay $2m to junior development as a requirement to get into the comp, I wonder if many clubs pay that?

Colk

First Grade
Just need better coaching and teams to want to develop.

Interesting Dolphins agreed to pay $2m to junior development as a requirement to get into the comp, I wonder if many clubs pay that?

I think a cap on how much you can recruit, a max contract on two players of up to $2m (only one if it’s a player not developed), points system (that would be hard to implement), transfer windows. There are several ideas. The biggest reason for the discrepancy is the spine talent and the difference between top and bottom. Compare Melbourne/Roosters/Penrith even Parra who have 3-4 and even more players who are or could be very good spine players to say that of the Tigers, Warriors and the Dolphins.

I think I read an article somewhere that will be a requirement from now on to have a licence.

Iamback

Coach
I think a cap on how much you can recruit, a max contract on two players of up to $2m (only one if it’s a player not developed), points system (that would be hard to implement), transfer windows. There are several ideas. The biggest reason for the discrepancy is the spine talent and the difference between top and bottom. Compare Melbourne/Roosters/Penrith even Parra who have 3-4 and even more players who are or could be very good spine players to say that of the Tigers, Warriors and the Dolphins.

I think I read an article somewhere that will be a requirement from now on to have a licence.

Points system can't work, Take Manly right now. The NRL's best player last year has been injured since round 10, So he would have a very low point score for next year.

What spine players has Melbourne brought from other sides?
Roosters and Panthers are the standouts in NSW lower grades this year?

So it isn't like they are taking from other teams like what happens in European Soccer

hrundi99

First Grade
NBA cap isn't a hard cap. You can pay over the limit but you are "taxed".

There is a lot of additional complexity to their model but these are the basic facts.

The NHL has a hard cap.

SBD82

Coach
NBA cap isn't a hard cap. You can pay over the limit but you are "taxed".

There is a lot of additional complexity to their model but these are the basic facts.

The NHL has a hard cap.
I know f**k all about NHL. Is their comp more even? If so, is that attributed to the hard cap or to other factors?

Colk

First Grade
Points system can't work, Take Manly right now. The NRL's best player last year has been injured since round 10, So he would have a very low point score for next year.

What spine players has Melbourne brought from other sides?
Roosters and Panthers are the standouts in NSW lower grades this year?

So it isn't like they are taking from other teams like what happens in European Soccer

You wouldn’t apply scores like you do in SuperCoach. A rep player would attract a rep player score etc. The benefit would be that it solves the biggest problem with the salary cap - lack of transparency.

The biggest problem with the system with just a salary cap is that all players are seen through the same prism -which doesn’t take into account any different circumstances between the clubs. For example everybody knows how difficult it is attract players to New Zealand yet they are supposed to operate under the same salary cap as nine Sydney clubs? What about clubs that produce players - what benefit do they get when players get poached?

Also most of the spine players at the Roosters have been poached from other clubs.

Iamback

Coach
I know f**k all about NHL. Is their comp more even? If so, is that attributed to the hard cap or to other factors?

Not really, Colorado won it this year for the 1st time since 2001 but same close to the same strike rate as NRL

Since 2010

Boston won it. Been runner up 2 x
Chicago x 3
Pittsburgh x 2. Won it in 2009 and runner up in 2008
LA x 2
TB x 2. Runner up x 2
Washington
St Louis won it the other times

Iamback

Coach
You wouldn’t apply scores like you do in SuperCoach. A rep player would attract a rep player score etc. The benefit would be that it solves the biggest problem with the salary cap - lack of transparency.

The biggest problem with the system with just a salary cap is that all players are seen through the same prism -which doesn’t take into account any different circumstances between the clubs. For example everybody knows how difficult it is attract players to New Zealand yet they are supposed to operate under the same salary cap as nine Sydney clubs? What about clubs that produce players - what benefit do they get when players get poached?

Also most of the spine players at the Roosters have been poached from other clubs.

My point with Tom Turbo is you would need something like the games played to come off it. Look at WT

Gildart
Hastings
Maumalo
played test footy for Tier 1 nation

Roberts
Peachey
Tamou
Ofanheque

Played Origin

GC

Brimson
Sami
Fifita
Wallace
Tino
Fotuaika

All played Origin

Isaako
Marsters

Played test footy.

That rating wise puts them right up with Panthers and Storm, So not sure that system works either

NZ will go very close to winning the World Cup, Yet will have no Warriors players in their side. I would say the talent is there in the NZ development pool just the club needs to be better at identifying and developing the talent

Colk

First Grade
My point with Tom Turbo is you would need something like the games played to come off it. Look at WT

Gildart
Hastings
Maumalo
played test footy for Tier 1 nation

Roberts
Peachey
Tamou
Ofanheque

Played Origin

GC

Brimson
Sami
Fifita
Wallace
Tino
Fotuaika

All played Origin

Isaako
Marsters

Played test footy.

That rating wise puts them right up with Panthers and Storm, So not sure that system works either

NZ will go very close to winning the World Cup, Yet will have no Warriors players in their side. I would say the talent is there in the NZ development pool just the club needs to be better at identifying and developing the talent

You could always rate spine players on a higher points amount. Also regards to Tom Turbo there are always going to be injuries that is just part of the game and the current system doesn’t give them any relief in any case. It’s just an idea anyway.

The division of spine talent is the biggest thing holding back the competition. If you want more competitive football and a better standard across the competition, every team needs a star in their spine. Forwards and wingers/centres are a dime a dozen.

Anyways the system just doesn’t work. The process is completely in favour of corrupt player managers and if you can’t properly police the system, which the NRL can’t, then you need to look at alternatives.

Iamback

Coach
You could always rate spine players on a higher points amount. Also regards to Tom Turbo there are always going to be injuries that is just part of the game and the current system doesn’t give them any relief in any case. It’s just an idea anyway.

The division of spine talent is the biggest thing holding back the competition. If you want more competitive football and a better standard across the competition, every team needs a star in their spine. Forwards and wingers/centres are a dime a dozen.

Anyways the system just doesn’t work. The process is completely in favour of corrupt player managers and if you can’t properly police the system, which the NRL can’t, then you need to look at alternatives.

The system works well enough

Latest posts