What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please, anyone else in 2021

The_Frog

First Grade
I was just saying Bulldogs have a very big fanbase, but the last few years hasn't exactly been kind to them. I'm sure they'll be up there again.
Paying overs for players who could not get a start in first grade this year is not how they'll do it. Going for the quick fix is not how they'll do it.

Valheru

Coach
At least for those new to following the NRL, I’ve personally never understood the attraction of supporting clubs who essentially have a parasitical relationship with other clubs in terms of poaching off their local junior development.

But perhaps I’m simply stuck in the 80’s/90’s and talking out of my arse?

PJ, you're alive old chap.

The last sentence is the truth of it. There is no other major sporting competition in the world that I am aware of where there is still an obsession by part of the fan base about where players grew up and played as a child.

The LA dodgers just won the world series today, do you think they or anyone else gives two shits where their players come from? Their 2 best players are from Dallas and Tennessee.

Pantherjim.

Referee

Lol! It was a grand final loss, not the end of the world. I seem to recall being able to pull myself together as a kid in 1990 after the loss to the Raiders, 30 years on I think I can handle this one.

The last sentence is the truth of it. There is no other major sporting competition in the world that I am aware of where there is still an obsession by part of the fan base about where players grew up and played as a child.

I wouldn’t call it an “obsession” but are you really trying to tell me that pride in the area/city/town which a sporting team represents is irrelevant in this day and age?

The LA dodgers just won the world series today, do you think they or anyone else gives two shits where their players come from? Their 2 best players are from Dallas and Tennessee.

I’m fairly certain that a large section of their fan base follow the Dodgers because they represent the city of LA and because of their own personal connection to the local area, irrespective of where some of their star players may come from.

Zadar

Juniors
Even if those measures come out eventually and the club goes through the shame of having their premierships stripped from them.

how can it come out if they have done nothing wrong:shrug:♂️

Clubs like raiders,dogs,storm,parra,sharks and manly have embarrassed the game enough with their salary cap cheating in the past, let’s not criticise and falsely accuse well run football organisations because of jealousy.

Nevan_

First Grade

Rubbish. Politis will never be able to afford the history and respect of an organization such as Athletic Bilbao, who rarely sign players that aren't native to or descended from the Basque region. This policy didn't stop them from becoming one of the most successful teams in one of the world's most prestigious competitions.

2015 showed people don't care if their city isn't represented, they just want to see something new.

Maybe the ARLC should make the GF a 3 game series?

If it brings extra revenue into the game from ticket sales and TV ratings then that's a good thing. It will give the game a chance to have one game in Sydney, the other in Brisbane, and the third, if required, in Sydney. Surely that's a good way of keeping fumbleball out of the news in Brisbane and Sydney.

Legends

Juniors
At least for those new to following the NRL, I’ve personally never understood the attraction of supporting clubs who essentially have a parasitical relationship with other clubs in terms of poaching off their local junior development.

But perhaps I’m simply stuck in the 80’s/90’s and talking out of my arse?

Maybe, just maybe, if each team had an equal allocation of juniors, your comment might have some merit. But that hasn't been the case since 1908.

Rubbish. Politis will never be able to afford the history and respect of an organization such as Athletic Bilbao, who rarely sign players that aren't native to or descended from the Basque region. This policy didn't stop them from becoming one of the most successful teams in one of the world's most prestigious competitions.

Reduce the Basque population and regional area to the size of the eastern suburbs plus chuck in three other rival football codes to compete against. Make most of the schools in the area favour the other codes. Then see how picky they are when signing up players.

Valheru

Coach

You have come up with a pretty obscure example there. Athletic Bilbao's last La Liga title predates that of the last Parramatta premiership, as does their last cup title so the example isn't a very good one.

Should we go through the squads of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Athletico etc. and see how much stock they put in local players?

Pantherjim.

Referee
Maybe, just maybe, if each team had an equal allocation of juniors, your comment might have some merit. But that hasn't been the case since 1908.

So, maybe those clubs who poach the local juniors of other clubs need to either set up junior league development somewhere in regional Australia or relocate?

After all, I’m “reliably informed” that now no one gives a shit about what connection a given star player has with the city/town/area the club represents, so perhaps they similarly won’t bat an eyelid if their club also relocates despite over a century of history and tradition in those areas?

Crazy thought, I know, but hey...

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
So, maybe those clubs who poach the local juniors of other clubs need to either set up junior league development somewhere in regional Australia or relocate?

After all, I’m “reliably informed” that now no one gives a shit about what connection a given star player has with the city/town/area the club represents, so perhaps they similarly won’t bat an eyelid if their club also relocates despite over a century of history and tradition in those areas?

That is exactly what the roosters have done on the CC amongst other areas.

greenBV4

Bench

Or maybe the NRL should take over junior development, introduce some form of draft, and let the NRL clubs focus on being sucessfull on and off the field

Pantherjim.

Referee
That is exactly what the roosters have done on the CC amongst other areas.

Yet the juniors of other clubs are still fair game for the Roosters when their talent is recognised and they come off contract with the club that nurtured that talent... James Tedesco a good case in point.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Or maybe the NRL should take over junior development, introduce some form of draft, and let the NRL clubs focus on being sucessfull on and off the field

Yup. Have always been in favour of an AFL draft like system to keep the comp fairer.

Mind you for it to have any chance of success;

1. Clubs at the bottom of the competition ladder come end of season should always get first pick of the draft.

2. The draft should also include coaching staff.

Latest posts