What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please, please change this rule *Melbourne/Tigers spoiler*

The Gambler

Juniors
The refs need to find consistency. At the moment when it comes to late hits on the kicker there is ZERO consistency which is what pisses me off.

right decision imo and Laurie should miss games because of it.

He's a thug and a cheap shot merchant.

Exactly...the guy is a good player but his cheap shots and dangerous tackles will not get him the "tough guy" image that he is looking for.

Iafeta

Referee
The shot wasn't cheap. It was cheap he would followed through with it, he barely touches him in the end.

This thread has nothing to do with Daine Laurie. It has to do with all the instances we've seen this season whereby all it has done is given kickers carte blanch to stand up flat at the line and kick under no pressure whatsoever. I'm quite sure the intent of the ruling was designed to stop the big lumbering forwards who'd come through and elbow/shoulder the defenceless kicker late.... they were cheap shots. It's not to stop blokes coming through and putting a touch of presure on the kicker, surely to hell, who come through and make not over the top contact. If for some unbeknowns reason that is actually the intent, then Robert Finch should step aside from not understanding how a game of football works. If this ruling keeps up, there'll be an important game decided down the line by a halfback realising the forwards can't put pressure on, feigning to kick, throwing a right foot step and going straight up the middle, and then we'll have the same wowsers who have put this ruling in place scratch their head and finally see the errors of their way after its cost someone.

The hit on Cronk and Morris were very similar. The timing of each tackle was at the point of the player kicking the ball, which prompted an exaggerated dive and a feigned injury. I think the refs have a preconceived notion that Laurie is prone to foul play, which means they're inclined to treat him harshly. The Cronk dive was probably a little more spectacular as well - credit to him, of course, and that brought about a penalty.

The Tigers too had plenty of luck, no more so than with the Tuiaki play the ball that the refs let go.

It all evens out.

Last edited:

no name

Referee
dead right, and the Storm player who was sent off by Klein for an identical tackle.
Surely you jest.
Daine Laurie brushed past the kicker as he kicked it.
The Storm bloke made first contact around the Tigers guy's jaw.

The hit on Cronk and Morris were very similar. The timing of each tackle was at the point of the player kicking the ball, which prompted an exaggerated dive and a feigned injury. I think the refs have a preconceived notion that Laurie is prone to foul play, which means they're inclined to treat him harshly. The Cronk dive was probably a little more spectacular as well - credit to him, of course, and that brought about a penalty.

The Tigers too had plenty of luck, no more so that with the Tuiaki play the ball that the refs let go.

It all evens out.

So Laurie has a reputation already ???...not a good start to his career.:cool:

Exactly...the guy is a good player but his cheap shots and dangerous tackles will not get him the "tough guy" image that he is looking for.

How many weeks for the Melbourne guy then? You can't be serious?!

Look, I'm not suggesting that through the course of the game either side was treated more harshly than the other, but to view the two hits on the kickers in isolation, you can't tell me that they weren't deserving of the same penalty, if that is the rule?

Leaguelegend20

Juniors
As a Tigers fan, I beleive Daine Laurie is a joke. Botched a try, gives away penalties, is a thug, and is lazy. Waste of space under the cap.

TimmyB

Juniors
I don't think the Tuiaki play the ball and the penalty are particularly good comparisons.

We scored two plays after the poor play the ball. Melbourne were up our end attacking our line BECAUSE of the penalty. Pretty clear which is a harsher call.

I don't think the Tuiaki play the ball and the penalty are particularly good comparisons.

We scored two plays after the poor play the ball. Melbourne were up our end attacking our line BECAUSE of the penalty. Pretty clear which is a harsher call.

What I was saying is, the tries weren't a direct result of the calls, they were both scored because of the way the teams reacted to the call.

Firstly, ozbash is just f**king senile.

Secondly, how are there minimal penalties for hits on the kicker when Pearce was penalised for a "hit" on glass shoulders in round 3 where he turns his body, ducks his head and the glass foot makes contact with the overrated one's head?

How many weeks for the Melbourne guy then? You can't be serious?!

Look, I'm not suggesting that through the course of the game either side was treated more harshly than the other, but to view the two hits on the kickers in isolation, you can't tell me that they weren't deserving of the same penalty, if that is the rule?

My point is that over the last couple of weeks, Laurie has been pinged by the refs for various tackles and cheap shots...Neilson also made a few bad tackles today but this is his first game.

bjm8

Juniors
My point is that over the last couple of weeks, Laurie has been pinged by the refs for various tackles and cheap shots...Neilson also made a few bad tackles today but this is his first game.

Indeed he has. 4 times in the last two games in fact.

1st vs Moi Moi for a high tackle - was a fair tackle.
2nd vs Moi Moi for a high tackle, as above.
3rd vs Moi Moi, still not sure what he even penalised him for. Something about not be settled down.
4th vs Cronk for a late tackle on the kicker, didnt watch the game but the ABC commentators thought it was a joke.

Pattern?

Leaguelegend20

Juniors
Laurie is a clumbsy, geniused, good for nothing Grub.

NOTE: I am a TIGERS fan.

That try he bombed, absolute joke. My 3 year old daughter could've cuaght that.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
when the tigers played in auckland recently i couldn't help but notice some of his grubby moves, including classy stuff like grabbing wade mckinnon around the neck after he ran through off of forward taking a hit up. it's one thing to grab a guy on suspicion, but given he grabbed him around the neck...

innsaneink

Referee
Laurie is a clumbsy, geniused, good for nothing Grub.

NOTE: I am a TIGERS fan.

That try he bombed, absolute joke. My 3 year old daughter could've cuaght that.

Geez you really really hate the guy. Sounds almost personal
Why do you call him a grub?

Have you seem him eye gouge?

Have you seen him drop the knees?

Have you seen him use an elbow?

Why's he a grub?

Molly

Juniors
Firstly, ozbash is just f**king senile.

Secondly, how are there minimal penalties for hits on the kicker when Pearce was penalised for a "hit" on glass shoulders in round 3 where he turns his body, ducks his head and the glass foot makes contact with the overrated one's head?

There is no doubt this is being interpreted differently to the way it was in the early parts of the comp.

Latest posts