What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PM's XIII vs PNG

LeagueXIII

First Grade
http://www.postcourier.com.pg/misc/BreakingStories.htm

PNG goes down to Aussies in a thriller

By FRANK GENAIA

Papua New Guinea Prime Ministers XIII nearly pulled off a historic win but fell short again losing to the Australians 18-24 in the dying seconds.
With three minutes to go PNG scored through Richard Kambo, leveling the scores at 18-all.
However PNG’s Israel Elias who had a terrible time with his boots failed the add the extras. Had he converted the last try, PNG would have led 20-18.
The PNG boys looked set to re-write the history books with another draw against the Australians.
But winger Akuila Uate broke the deadlock with his try with 60 seconds remaining on the clock.
The PNG boys have never come that close in clinching a famous victory at the Port Moresby Rugby league Oval but today’s performance showed that writing is on the wall and that one day an upset will happen.
PNG’s coach Adriam Lam after the game said: “ I couldn’t have asked for more from the boys.”
“They put in a tremendous performance,” he said.
“I thank the players, their families, the team management and all the sponsors who put in much enthusiasm and efforts to help the team out.”
The last time PNG came that close in beating the Australians was in 2007. Lam was the PNG coach and both teams drew 28-all.
Today PNG came that close but complacency and inexperience forced them to fall short.

20120923_Sun_BreakingStories18.gif
Australia’s fullback Darius Boyd (1) comes in to help this teammate

Read more in your Post-Courier tomorrow...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shame it' not televised. How come you can watch USA v Georgia in union but not this game? Come on fox get your act together!

Lol at a Fijian saving Australia's blushes!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would love to see a 40k stadium built in port moresby so we could see regular full tests against the big teams played there. Come on minng companies get one built!

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://www.thenational.com.pg/?q=node/38837
Great experience
Source:
The National, Tuesday 25th September 2012
AUSTRALIAN forwards Tim Mannah and Martin Kennedy gave credit for a surprisingly good performance by PNG in Sunday’s Prime Ministers XIII match.
Mannah, a former NSW prop, said he relished the match and the challenge presented by PNG.
“It’s a great experience (PM’s XIII match), great people and I love their passion for rugby league,” Mannah said.
“I thought PNG were very strong and they played very structured and they didn’t make many errors. They were sharp and I’m sure they’ll do really well in the World Cup next year,” said the three-time PM’s rep.
Kennedy, who came off the bench, said he was stoked with coming to play in Papua New Guinea and said his side were lucky to win.
“I was really eager to get up here and experience the culture and the game was something in itself,” Kennedy said.
The Sydney Roosters’ prop said it was a “clean, hard” match and gave credit to the PNG team.
“It (game) was an eye-opener for us and it was a very tight game and they were definitely strong up front.
“I think we were lucky to get away with it in the end,” Kennedy said.
The 120kg prop put on a big tackle on PNG reserve forward Essau Siune in the second half but was a little surprised at the way the much smaller Simbu Warriors player took his knocks.
“I thought I got him with the shot but obviously I didn’t because he was still at it in their (PNG) next set.
“There’s never any niggle, it’s always solid and it was a very clean match and I enjoyed it.”
Kennedy said his teammates had nerves going into the final minutes of the match with the score at 18-18 and admitted there was a hint of panic.
“It was definitely panic stations for us because we felt PNG had the momentum and we needed to score as soon as we could.”
Kennedy and Mannah promised to be back for the 2013 fixture if their teams (Roosters and Eels) did not make the NRL finals.
“This has been my third year in a row (to play for the PM’s XIII) and if my team (Eels) doesn’t make the finals next year then definitely I’ll be back,” Mannah said.
“I want to be here in 2013 and emerse myself in the country. Papua New Guinea is a great place. I enjoyed the trip and hopefully next year we can stay a little longer and emerse ourselves in the PNG culture and see more of the place,” Kennedy added.

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://www.thenational.com.pg/?q=node/38838

Call for video ref and bigger stadium
Source:
The National, Tuesday 25th September 2012
By KEITH PUARIA
RUGBY leagues issues in the country were out in the open for all concerned to witness at the Prime Ministers XIII Challenge on Sunday at the Lloyd Robson Oval.
Aquila Uate’s 79th minute try for Australia to win 24-18 did not go by without scrutiny, as fans and a couple of players immediately called for the introduction of the video referee for big games.
The collapse of a 30m light tower and roof of a section of the outside stand opposite the grandstand, the risks faced by fans on the bare frames of stands and the over-crowding that denied fans access to the ground even after halftime were clear for all to see, especially the VIP entourage including Prime Minister Peter O’Neill and Australian High Commissioner Ian Kemish.
“We need to have the video referee. I was disappointed with that last try. The referee and the linesman made a bad decision to award it,” veteran prop Rodney Pora said post match.
PNG were denied a draw by referee Phil Haines when he ruled that Uate had scored, after the winger appeared to have knocked the ball on when contesting a cross-field kick.
NRL referees normally go to the video replay for clarification on close calls but Haines did not have that option.
A chorus of dissatisfied fans laid the blame on the venue preparations.
“This game is an international and we have to be able to provide the same avenues that are available in the NRL, and on the international arena,” Lauka Hato who travelled from Kokopo said.
“If we are to raise our standards, these are the little things that contribute to the big things.”

One of the lighting towers also collapsed onto the roof of a stand, with fans hanging onto it, while the collapse of another roof almost caused serious injuries to fans who were perched on the roof all game.
VIPs present included Prime Minister Peter O’Neill, Sports Minister Justin Tkatchenko, his Vice Minister Labi Amaiu, NCD Governor Powes Parkop, Australian High Commissioner Ian Kermish, Sports Foundation Chairman Graham Osbourne, and various corporate supporters of rugby league in the country.

Latest posts