What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG Kumuls players available for Fiji Test

franklin2323

Immortal
I'm pretty sure they do have to, and I'm also pretty sure that British clubs weren't even consulted and have nothing to do with this. Stop talking shit.

The round preceding finishes Monday morning our time. They then get on a 20 hour flight to Australia to play in a few days time. Not really the most practical thing to do

mikail-eagle

Bench
Clearly you didn't read Segeyaro's reason for changing. He's pissed at the board about the treatment of his old man

For the amount of extra cash available to Origin Players I'd be looking for someone to blame too. The PNGRFL is the perfect sitting duck in this case.

hutch

First Grade
Since when has Kurt Baptiste been PNG eligible?

Also sad that the English-based players will not be involved. Hopefully this changes in the future. Also f**k Segeyaro and the stupid Aussies that have influenced him.

Yeah f*ck the stupid Aussies who provide born and raised players to every international rugby league team on earth!!!

😉

Segeyaro should be playing for no country except png. He made his decision, should be made to stick to it!

gyallop

Juniors
I'm pretty sure they do have to, and I'm also pretty sure that British clubs weren't even consulted and have nothing to do with this. Stop talking shit.

Do you know what a tier 1 test is? I love blokes who never let ignorance hold back their arrogance.

Titanic

First Grade
Gee what a stretch, I played with Iffy in PNG, coached with Iffy, visited the kid when he was still in Cairns with Iffy ... if he's not PNG then nor is Michael Somare.

franklin2323

Immortal
For the amount of extra cash available to Origin Players I'd be looking for someone to blame too. The PNGRFL is the perfect sitting duck in this case.

Didn't Mead miss games for similar reasons? Adrian Lam has had issues before. So hardly a new issue

mikail-eagle

Bench
Didn't Mead miss games for similar reasons? Adrian Lam has had issues before. So hardly a new issue

Mead & Lam issues were years ago and all under the previous Board.

The current board have been in control the last 4 years and things have progressed faster and better than in any other era before that.

Even Mead and Lam came back under the current lot for the last World Cup.

Rugby League in PNG is now back to where it should have been 10 years ago when all the Board wranglings were happening. There is now Rugby League played in schools starting from age 8 right through to under 18's.

The PNG U19's that won the Commonwealth Gold in Glasgow last year came through this program.

To top it off they have seen the successful entry of the Hunters into the ISC creating further pathways out from the National Digicel Cup Competition.

None of this would have happened if the current board was a rabble.

For Segeyaro to blame them for what he is claiming is so weak.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Brad Tassel was appointed CEO of PNGRFL by this current Board and worked well under them for the last 4 years until he resigned last month.

Brads appointment by the current Board was one of the catalysts for the rapid change and growth experienced during the last 4 years.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Numerous death threats against himself and family. Too much stress trying to develop the game in the only country that has RL as its national sport.

mikail-eagle

Bench
You might want to read the whole article ECT. But the highlighted part is the answer to your question.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/sport/...he-quit-the-club/story-fnjpuwsz-1227291206939

Former PNG Hunters CEO and Cairns man Brad Tassell opens up about why he quit the club

ADORNED in a basketball singlet, facial hair slightly unkempt, Brad Tassell is a picture of leisure at his Trinity Beach home.

It is in the days after Australia won their fifth cricket World Cup, plastering a week-long smile on a rugby league man who freely admits his true sporting love involves a bat and ball.

How quickly times change.

It is barely three weeks since the Cairns-born former NRL player quit his post as chief executive of the PNG Hunters and PNGRFL in spectacular style.

An angry resignation letter took aim at the critics, the “bad people”, that undermined his long tenure in a league outpost still resistant to waking from its endless slumber.

The relaxed beach attire Tassell wears today cloaks the somersaults that have been governing his mind.

The pain in his eyes is evident. So too is the pride.

This was four and a half years of a life spent building a franchise others were remorselessly eager to lop down.

By the end of his days in the Pacific nation, the death threats and daily beatings on social media were so intense Tassell was lucky to sleep three hours each night.

Ultimately, walking away was not only his best option but his only one.

“I love the Hunters and I loved working there and setting that up,” he says.

“It gives me great satisfaction but the other parts of the job were just too difficult to handle.

“There are a lot of bad people that need to be flushed out.

“It’s a beautiful country and the majority of the people are beautiful people.

“I look at what we set up and what we achieved in that small amount of time and I’m very proud.

“But most of that time I was under pretty extreme pressure, and not just work pressure.

“I had pressure from people trying to undermine what we were trying to do.

“That wasn’t a weekly thing or a monthly thing; that’s day after day, hour after hour for four and a half years.

“It got to the point where I thought ‘What’s the point? I’m not enjoying being here, particularly the past six months’.”

On March 10, Tassell finally pulled the pin on a franchise he joined brother Jason, the Hunters’ strength and conditioning coach, in helping build.

“I’m pretty happy with my decision to leave,” he says.

“I would have liked to have stayed at least until the World Cup – that was our plan.

“Some of the people (who were criticising) I have never even met in my life.

“I heard one bloke had a vendetta because I didn’t give him a discount on merchandise when he came up to PNG. These things are ridiculous.

“There are former administrators out to undermine us.

“These are the sorts of guys who had a vested interest in the game being in a mess because it’s the way they made money.

“Outside influences and the politics of the game up there is extraordinary.

“Every politician wants to be involved in the game because it’s so prestigious.”

Indeed, behind the deafening wall of adoring fans lies a seedy underbelly of PNG league greed, an ugly image that Tassell stared down for years.

There were repeated hackings of his Facebook and email accounts, as well as break-ins to his locked office.

Welcome to a day in the life of a PNG sports administrator.

“The death threats, I tried to trace where they were from because there were random text messages and old email addresses,” Tassell says.

“At first I thought it was part of the job but it was pretty constant.

“There were a lot of attacks on myself as a person and my integrity.

“Then it spilt over to my staff, to Shane (interim CEO Shane Morris) or to Jason.

“I found that pretty unacceptable.

“It was just getting to the point that it was pretty unbearable and I thought ‘You know what, I’ve had enough’.

“I can go back home and do something else and have less stress.”

Papua New Guinea’s loose laws on social media fed endless accusations ranging from the brazen to the bizarre.

“I would have loved that if people came up to me on the streets,” he says.

“Then I could see who they are. But it was people hiding behind aliases.

“When they are faceless, you can’t do anything about it.

“Everything we did, no matter what it was, was criticised.

“I can handle criticism no worries.

“But when it starts to get derogatory and defamatory, that’s when you have got to think ‘Enough is enough’.”

What Tassell did not bank on was the wave of support that followed his departure.

PNG Sports Minister Justin Tkatchenko was among those who mourned the sport’s loss in the days after Tassell’s exit.

“It is a great disappointment, the faceless people on Facebook and in the social media should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for what they have done to this man,” he said.

“He is a true champion of rugby league, he has done his best in what he can do and he will be definitely missed.”

PNGRFL chairman Sandis Tsaka called Tassell “irreplaceable”.

“He has never sought or asked for credit or recognition for his work, he just gets the job done and has done so much for rugby league in PNG,” he said.

“We will struggle to find someone of his calibre.”

The Hunters’ playing group even drafted a letter urging a backflip, while a campaign was launched to reinstate Tassell.

“I was pretty shocked by the support,” he says.

“I didn’t realise that the general community and public up there were so overwhelmingly in support of me.

“When it was announced I just got incredible support.

“That bowled me over.

“It was good to know that the work that I had done had such an impact.

“Some of the players I got messages from were pretty heartbreaking.

“I have had a lot to do with a lot of these players.

“I toyed with the idea (of returning) and thought ‘I could go back and do just the Hunters job’.

“I’d never want to do the PNGRFL job because it’s too big of a target on your back.

“I think they are going to struggle to find anyone to take up that position.

“But I have made my decision and that’s pretty final in my mind.

“Hopefully this might have a positive effect and people will realise that you have got to let people do their job.”

Tassell’s empire is no fluke.

Long days spent trying to flip attitudes was tough.

He introduced new levels of structure into the game’s governance and modified the previously untouched 35-year-old constitution.

For the first time, the PNGRFL presented audited accounts dating back five years at its last AGM.

“We felt it was important to be open to our rugby league members,” Tassell says.

“PNG has got a lot of issues as far as their rugby league structure goes and we were starting to get a base set up.

“The Hunters are fine because they have been set up from scratch.

“The other issues in the country are pretty endemic.

“The Hunters program is the shining light.

“We always knew it was going to take three years to weed out the bad attitude.

“It needs to stay at the level it is. It’s a program the whole country won’t want to let go.”

The results are becoming obvious to the point of in-your-face.

South Sydney Rabbitohs train and trial duo Wartovo Puara and Thompson Teteh are on the verge of NRL recognition, while the Cowboys have had their eyes trained on five-eighth and captain Israel Eliab.

The promise of three new Port Moresby-based stadiums by 2016, each with a capacity of about 25,000, means talk of an NRL franchise has gone from fiction to feasible.

Tentative plans have been made to base Hunters-aligned Cyril Connell and Mal Meninga Cup squads in Cairns during their six-week seasons.

There is also the $3 million turnover the Intrust Super Cup entity generated in 2014, including a first-year profit.

“Security was the No.l concern the QRL had before we got in,” Tassell says.

“But we proved that it was not an issue.

“The NRL should be thinking ‘Well, if they can do that (make a profit) with a Queensland Cup team what can they do with an NRL team?’.

“Originally I thought 10 years and we could have an NRL team but it could be sooner than that. If the Hunters go as we expect them to then it could be much sooner.”

Sadly, Tassell is no longer in a position to address key performance factors such as PNG not having a single level 1 accredited coach or referee.

He can only hope the rigid – but vital – processes put in place for the playing group remain untouched.

“The talent is there and always has been but it never had a pathway,” he says.

“There was no talent identification or promotion of the players to ISC or NRL clubs.

“What we have done is given them that pathway.

“The players have their diet monitored, they are tested for speed and hydration daily and there’s a fully equipped gym.

“Imagine what it’s going to be like in two or three years.

“It’s made it easier for NRL clubs because they are seeing the players every week now.”

Tassell leaves behind coach Michael Marum, a man he “huge amount of respect for”, as well as his brother.

Jason Tassell was initially due to exit PNG as well in a show of support but was talked into staying on for another year.

In a sign of the belief in the Hunters’ program, Jason knocked back a lucrative offer to join the support staff of NRL club the Sydney Roosters to remain.

“He has been a massive part of the success of the Hunters,” Tassell says of his brother.

“They are big and strong and very fit and it’s because of him.

“Michael as well, he is as good as any coach I have worked with.

“I have had staff members with me from the start.

“We had a tight-knit group built on trust and reliability.

“I had a lot of meetings with players and staff saying ‘This whole thing has got to be built on trust’.”

Sadly, that is a promise tarnished mercilessly by others.

nstead, Tassell is looking at the next chapter of his life.

“I’ll stay in Cairns for a while,” the father of three says.

“I’ve got a few offers that I’m thinking about.

“I’m not 100 per cent sure what I want to do but I want to stay involved in rugby league.

“I’ll sit down over the next few weeks and think about what I want to do.

“All my kids are grown up so I can pick up my stuff and move to Sydney or Brisbane or Townsville tomorrow.

“I went up to PNG by myself and it was one of the best things I’ve ever done.

“Any time I get the chance to watch the Hunters I will.

“Winning the ISC in the next two years would be great and I think they will make the finals this year.

“It would be great satisfaction if that happens.

“I’m a Hunters man.”

expansionist

Juniors
so - why the ommitted players? If I remember correctly, Costigan was the captain in the RLWC - why is he left out now?

No Costigan?
Butterfield?
Chan?
Bond?

mikail-eagle

Bench
so - why the ommitted players? If I remember correctly, Costigan was the captain in the RLWC - why is he left out now?

No Costigan?
Butterfield?
Chan?
Bond?

No idea why the 4 players have been left out. Probably a question only Mal Meninga and the National Selectors can answer.

My guess is that;

Costigan and Chan have been left out because they want to go with youth. By the next world cup both players won't be around so they are going with the likes of Luke Page, Rod Griffin, Stanton Albert, Ryse Martin, Tyson and the Hunters forwards who will be there for the next few years.

As for Bond. For some reason he has never played a game for the Kumuls. And I think his fullback spot is well covered by David Mead.

Butterfield is the player that I am personally disappointed for. He has been in such great form for a couple of years now. But they have also named two good hookers in Wartovo Puara and Kurt Baptiste. So one these trio was always going to miss out.

mikail-eagle

Bench
The Kumuls Jerseys for the Fiji Test were unveiled today.

https://www.facebook.com/honjustinw.tkatchenko?fref=ts

Officially Launching the 40th Anniversary PNG Kumuls jersey, in its original red and gold colours and the Red V.
245 players have donned the Kumul jersey since our first Kumul side in the 70s. Our team will play on the Gold Coast against Fiji with the names of all 245 players on the Red V.

11115711_431152943733084_8026583487717064978_n.jpg

11188429_431152983733080_3373304218098447459_n.jpg