What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG Prime Ministers XIII vs AUS Prime Ministers XIII

Scubby

Juniors
Okay, so let me get this straight, we have the current Queensland Origin coach fiddling around with PNG selection and omitting players like Maed, Segeyaro and McDonald so they remain eligible for SOO and possibly Australia in the future. WTF is going on??

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://www.nrl.com/prime-ministers-...874/newsid/82237/default.aspx?cid=NRL_HP_Hero

Aust Prime Minister's XIII squad announced

The Australian Rugby League Commission today announced the Prime Minister’s XIII to play the PNG Kumuls at Kokopo on Sunday October 12.

The team will be captained by Gold Coast Titans forward Greg Bird and includes some of the game’s most promising players.

The team was chosen by coach Laurie Daley in consultation with the Australian selectors and National Coach Tim Sheens.

Mr Sheens said the team was a combination of youth and experience.

He said the withdrawal of a number of senior players through injury had opened the way for some rising stars to be given an opportunity alongside established stars.

“The PM’s XIII has some of the game’s most experienced players including Greg Bird, Robbie Farah and Ryan Hoffman,” Mr Sheens said.

“But this match also provides a great opportunity for young players like Matt Moylan, Josh Mansour, Sione Mata’utai, Anthony Milford and Dylan Napa to gain experience alongside regular international players.

“That experience will prove invaluable in the future.”

The Australian squad for the Four Nations tournament, which begins in Brisbane on October 26 will be announced following this game

The Prime Minister’s XIII team is:
1. Matt Moylan (Penrith Panthers)
2. Josh Mansour (Penrith Panthers)
3. Will Chambers (Melbourne Storm)
4. Sione Mata’utia (Newcastle Knights)
5. Daniel Tupou (Sydney Roosters)
6. Anthony Milford (Canberra Raiders)
7. Ben Hunt (Brisbane Broncos)
8. Aaron Woods (Wests Tigers)
9. Robbie Farah (Wests Tigers)
10. Josh Papalii (Canberra Raiders)
11. Ryan Hoffman (Melbourne Storm)
12. Beau Scott (Newcastle Knights)
13. Greg Bird © (Gold Coast Titans)
Interchange:
14. Michael Morgan (North Qld Cowboys)
15. Brenton Lawrence (Manly Sea Eagles)
16. Josh McGuire (Brisbane Broncos)
17. Dylan Napa (Sydney Roosters)
18. Jack Wighton (Canberra Raiders)

mikail-eagle

Bench
Maybe just a little over sight but PNG Rugby League fans especially on social media are deadset not happy with this. Most are questioning his commitment to the Kumuls.

I think the blame is with the PNGRFL.

http://www.thenational.com.pg/?q=node/76323

PM’s XIII builds up

Source:
The National, Tuesday 30th of September, 2014

THE Papua New Guinea Prime Minister’s XIII are all assembled in Kokopo except head coach Mal Meninga.

The 54-year-old was set to arrive over the weekend but an expired visa meant he is scheduled to join the squad only days before the annual clash against the Australian Prime Minister’s XIII.

Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League chief executive officer Brad Tassell said Meninga was keen to fly up to join assistant coach Michael Marum and the team who are preparing for their October 12 clash at Kalabond Stadium.
He said Meninga would stop over in Port Moresby to meet with the media before heading to East New Britain.

“Mal was supposed to come up this week but we didn’t realise his visa had expired and so we’re sorting that out now,” Tassell said.

“He’ll stop over in Port Moresby (this week) for a day finalising stuff for the team and for a press conference and then head off and join Michael (Marum) and the boys by Wednesday (tomorrow) or Thursday,” Tassell said.

Sydney Roosters squad member Rhys Martin flew in from Sydney and transited to Kokopo yesterday.
Tassell said Marum was looking after the squad in Meninga’s absence, with the Queensland Origin coach in regular contact with Marum on the team’s day-to-day training and progress.
“Michael’s looking after the team with Mal in regular contact with him. Michael’s getting hands on with the side and getting them ready and Mal will be up there as soon as he can.”
Tassell said the other representative sides to play in the early games would fly into Kokopo as soon as airline tickets were organised.

“The All Star sides are ready and will be in Kokopo by Thursday. The Under-16 side will fly to Kokopo next week and the women’s sides next Friday.
“We’ve been flat out getting airline tickets, booking accommodation and getting the uniforms. We’ve got 36 boxes of uniforms for the teams and we’re organising their delivery to Kokopo, so it’s busy here.”

The PM’s XIII dinner will be held on Friday in Kokopo however it could not be confirmed if the Australian PM’s XIII, which was named yesterday, would be in the country by then.
So far the only changes to the PNG PM’s XIII side have been the withdrawal of Wellington Albert and Luke Page.
Albert, who had shoulder surgery recently, was advised by his surgeon to forgo the PM’s XIII match, while Page could not obtain a release from his National Rugby League club, the Canberra Raiders.
All Stars Kato Ottio (Confederates) and Henry Wan (Digicel Cup) were drafted in as replacements last week.

Previous year only the players from outside the top 8 and the first two elimiated from the finals could have players selected for this team.

Interesting how they've now made the selection criteria broader and 14 teams can be represented.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.facebook.com/pages/PNGRFL-Papua-New-Guinea-Rugby-Football-League/531057333687951

PNG KUMUL GEAR ON SALE MONDAY 6TH OCTOBER AT AGMARK IN RABAUL. GEAR WILL ALSO BE SOLD AT THE PM13 MATCH IN KOKOPO ON SUNDAY 12TH OCTOBER AND THE TONGA TEST MATCH IN LAE ON SUNDAY 19TH OCTOBER.

10368235_10202915828357069_2882200086758552222_n.jpg

maple_69

Bench
Why in the hell is Sege not playing? He's one player from a minor nation that has actually committed to them over SOO even though he'd likely make it soon. He should be the poster boy for PNG Rugby League for the next decade. Thats a joke.

Scubby

Juniors
Why in the hell is Sege not playing? He's one player from a minor nation that has actually committed to them over SOO even though he'd likely make it soon. He should be the poster boy for PNG Rugby League for the next decade. Thats a joke.

Segeyaro has changed allegiances to Australia to make himself available for Origin - supposedly for Queensland. Surprise surprise the Queensland coach is also on the PNG coaching staff. It stinks.

Rodney

Juniors
you'd presume seggy would have time to switch over if wanted to.
Just as an educate guess i'd wager that the PM XIII squad for PNG is a development squad, or a warm up squad.
No NRL or Super League players and the squad is very young.

I'd expect to see Seggy and co. lining up against Tonga though.

Son of Minto

Bench
Segeyaro has changed allegiances to Australia to make himself available for Origin - supposedly for Queensland. Surprise surprise the Queensland coach is also on the PNG coaching staff. It stinks.

He has spent the majority of his life in Qld. I doubt it took much convincing.

franklin2323

Immortal

He said differently on Twitter. I think he needs surgery on a leg injury

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://www.thenational.com.pg/?q=node/76751

Martin raring to go

Source:
The National, Tuesday October 7th, 2014
By JOHN PANGKATANA

PAPUA New Guinea Prime Minister’s XIII debutant Rhyse Martin is proud to follow in the footsteps of elder brother Tyson.
Tyson Martin played for the Kumuls during the 2009 Pacific Cup and is currently the captain of the Mackay Cutters in the Queensland Cup. The 21-year-old is the only overseas-based player in the team that is preparing to play world champions Australia at Kalabond Oval in Kokopo on Sunday.
“It’s an honour to rub shoulders with my countrymen and I’m enjoying every minute of the experience more than anything else,” Martin said.
Martin was captain of the Sydney Roosters National Youth Cup team last year and was promoted this year to their National Rugby League (NRL) team on a two-year contract.
“I play second-row and a bit in backs as well when needed.
“It’s my first time to PNG and was a bit nervous at the start but I’m settling in well with the guys and just looking forward to the prospect of getting a good game against Australia,” he said.
“My dad is from Hula in the Central, but I have yet to go there. But definitely one day I will – with my family.”
Martin said training was going on well and it was a bonus that most of the SP Hunters made the team as they had a great season in the Q-Cup.
“It’s a big ask but you never know if you don’t try.
“I certainly will give it 100 per cent,” Martin said.
When asked about Kumul selection for the test match against Tonga the following week in Lae, Martin said he would be love to be given a chance but it all depended on the performance on Sunday.
“I reckon we’ll do well against Australia and if I get the chance, I’m looking forward to playing one of my teammates in Samisoni (Langi) who was named in the Tongan squad.”
Tyson who represented Queensland at the Under-20 and schoolboys levels, stands at 180cm and weighs in at 101kg, is being groomed as a future star at the Chookpen (Sydney Football Stadium).

franklin2323

Immortal
Probably because it would be more than awkward for him to turn up in PNG in a Kangaroo shirt.

Yeah but Farah needed the run here but in the 4 nations. He got Dally M hooker of the year so clearly has form on the board. Smith's ankle and Friend's lungs need to be a concern

jim_57

Staff member
There's a lot that could be done to fix situations like this. The PNG hunters will hopefully help in the next few years by bringing through players to the NRL who are ineligible for Origin.

I'd like to see PNG get an annual game against Australia or NZ, maybe even a tri-series. Turn the PMXIII game in to a test match and all you need is NZ V PNG.

The biggest help would be changing the SoO eligibility rules so that anyone who moved to QLD or NSW before the age of 13 can play regardless of the their nation of choice. Seems too simple.

Latest posts