What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Wb1234

Referee
Population closing in on 8 million

it would add thousands of players a year to the playing ranks

everyone talks about finances like there is no money in the country

there are loads of rich Aussie mining companies in png

and bill shorten wanted to help finance a png nrl side maybe albo will too to counter Chinese hegemony

after we get to 20 teams if they want to go beyond that number png would be in the box seat

mongoose

Coach
It’s not my fault that RL has traditionally been run by an insular group of self serving merkins from Sydney.

It’s also not my fault that the average RL fan is a dumb merkin like you that will support their pandering BS, instead of pushing for real sustainable growth, then proceed to lament the fact that the sport isn’t as successful as the AFL.

In all honesty I’m so disgusted by the direction this sport has been going in for a while now, that I’d probably dump RL in a heartbeat if there was a viable pro alternative, other than Union, in Canberra…
the fact that in 2021 we are talking about needing a 2nd Brisbane team because of how big a threat a rival code has become in that state and how poor the RL pathways have become in QLD speaks volumes. It's honestly f**king dire.... I love Rugby league and always will but its a game run by simpletons and mostly followed by simpletons.

The Great Dane

First Grade
the fact that in 2021 we are talking about needing a 2nd Brisbane team because of how big a threat a rival code has become in that state and how poor the RL pathways have become in QLD speaks volumes. It's honestly f**king dire.... I love Rugby league and always will but its a game run by simpletons and mostly followed by simpletons.
If you think things are dire in QLD then wait until you take a look at Southern NSW and the ACT.
It’s on it’s death bed in large parts, and it’s mostly because of the NRL and ARLC’s neglect and utter apathy.

It’s just too bad that they’ve f**ked the second Brisbane side up so badly…

The simpletons running the game even f**ked that up. They said Brisbane 2 was to counter fumbleball, yet they left the side of the city that the Lions are based without an NRL club. The team that was brought in is 40 km north of the Lions.

The team they left out is just 3km away from the Lions and has junior connections spanning all the way down to Gold Coast. Lions have invested lots of money in this region over the last 15 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The simpletons running the game even f**ked that up. They said Brisbane 2 was to counter fumbleball, yet they left the side of the city that the Lions are based without an NRL club. The team that was brought in is 40 km north of the Lions.

The team they left out is just 3km away from the Lions and has junior connections spanning all the way down to Gold Coast. Lions have invested lots of money in this region over the last 15 years.
What news ltd wants, news ltd gets.

mongoose

Coach

yeah true but QLD should have been sorted out 2 decades ago in terms of RL teams... it just defies belief it took 10 years after Super League to get a 2nd team in South east QLD (titans) and then another 15 years after that for a 3rd.
All because of News and its vested interest in the Broncos and the hopelessly sydney centric nature of the NRL.

yeah true but QLD should have been sorted out 2 decades ago in terms of RL teams... it just defies belief it took 10 years after Super League to get a 2nd team in South east QLD (titans) and then another 15 years after that for a 3rd.
All because of News and its vested interest in the Broncos and the hopelessly sydney centric nature of the NRL.
That's why my handle is "Get Rid of The Donkeys". Their connection with News Ltd since the 90s has all but killed the game's potential expansion across Australia.

It's as if Murdoch is working on behalf of AwFuL to prevent us from challenging them at the national level. He was born and raised in a rusted on fumbleball state, so there's no doubt in my mind that his loyalties are with AwFuL. He admitted to always preferring fumbleball at a press conference.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Outgoing Papua New Guinea rugby league captain David Mead is urging the Kumuls to use their Test match against Fiji as an opportunity to prove PNG has the talent to support an 18th NRL team.

The only country in the world with rugby league as its national sport, PNG already fields a Queensland Cup team, the Hunters, and in May, the country's government officially launched a bid to have representation at NRL level.

When they play their first match since 2019 on Saturday night at Campbelltown Stadium, the Kumuls will give the NRL an early preview of what their country could offer if granted a licence.

"To bring a team into the NRL from PNG makes sense to me," Mead told AAP.

"With PNG players, that fearlessness is always there. You want to play with guys who are fearless and they've got that.

"The country obviously loves rugby league.

"People have to see it for themselves to believe it.

"Hundreds of people gathering around a small TV watching the NRL with excitement. They get so excited whenever they see a PNG player."

Mead said the expansion of the NRL to PNG would also put the country's socio-economic issues on the international agenda.

"We always try to use sport as a tool to try and improve social issues," he said.

"If you've got a rugby league game at the NRL level being played on a week-to-week basis, whether it's home or away, PNG will be spoken about a lot more by the world."

The Hunters have played home games in Queensland since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic but Kumuls coach Stanley Tepend, who is also on the Hunters' coaching staff, said he hoped NRL games could be played in PNG if the country was granted a licence.

"If we were to have an NRL team, it'd be really great for us to be based in PNG," he told AAP.

"Getting our junior systems in place back home would help towards that.

"I'm sure the NRL would benefit as well, having packed stadiums every weekend if there were games in PNG.

"It's something we've always wished for. It would be unreal."

Mead is preparing to make an emotional farewell to the Kumuls after 15 matches spanning 15 years and three World Cup campaigns.

The former Gold Coast Titans, Catalans Dragons and now Brisbane Broncos utility back made his international debut at the 2008 World Cup and said his decision to retire from representative football was made with one eye on this year's tournament.

"I was given a pretty good opportunity at the age of 19 by PNG Kumuls," he said.

"I wouldn't want to get in the way of another young guy to have that opportunity to play in the World Cup. That's what led me to make my decision.

"I'm trying not to think about it too much because I'll get emotional, thinking about all the good things that have happened. I've got my family flying down from Brisbane to come and watch the game. It certainly will be special."

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If we consider that Perth and Adelaide are two major centres untapped by the NRL you would set aside two slots for them in the future and if you consider that the NRL is probably going to be a 20 team comp max, that leaves one slot left. For that slot you will have Brisbane 3 and NZ 2 almost certainly competing.

PNG is probably best left in the QLD Cup feeding their best into the NRL. They are not going to attract current NRL players to live in PNG and even Papuans that are of high quality would want to move to Australia, NZ or even SL at the first chance.

PNG will get their chance to shine though, through the international game. The Kumuls will become stronger and stronger with the current arrangements in place and will become more and more competitive at the RLWC and other major international tournaments as the international game expands.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Once Perth is in they can ditch the Dolphins, who already have enough feeder systems, and form a genuine partnership with WA. We can provide a pathway for their best kids and teach them a mining trade whilst they are here for when they go home. Everyone's a winner. Forget playing games at NSO, we could be playing one or two in Port Moresby! Get one of the mining companies that has interest in both places to sponsor it all. Bingo.

MugaB

Coach
Once Perth is in they can ditch the Dolphins, who already have enough feeder systems, and form a genuine partnership with WA. We can provide a pathway for their best kids and teach them a mining trade whilst they are here for when they go home. Everyone's a winner. Forget playing games at NSO, we could be playing one or two in Port Moresby! Get one of the mining companies that has interest in both places to sponsor it all. Bingo.
Png can be feeding us, why? Coz Perth!!!

Please stop embarrassing yourself... if perth get a license its ony coz the bears have pushed for it, doesnt seem like anyone in perth has bothered to scrape a bid proposal together yet,... apparently there needs to be an official invitation! Cinderella needs to be invited to the ball...
The fkn PM of PnG has already got an official bid team put together, ive heard nothing from Perth but words with no action, that and just bears are willing thats it, wtf are png going to feed a perth team when the hunters are already in QRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Png can be feeding us, why? Coz Perth!!!

Please stop embarrassing yourself... if perth get a license its ony coz the bears have pushed for it, doesnt seem like anyone in perth has bothered to scrape a bid proposal together yet,... apparently there needs to be an official invitation! Cinderella needs to be invited to the ball...
The fkn PM of PnG has already got an official bid team put together, ive heard nothing from Perth but words with no action, that and just bears are willing thats it, wtf are png going to feed a perth team when the hunters are already in QRL
Apart from these guys you mean?

Oh and this guy

and this guy

and this guy

yep we are so desperate for the Bears to save us lol.
PNG needs a proper pathway. Perth needs better Jnrs.
Pirates academy in Port Moresby for best talent to shine and either feed into Pirates Qlnd cup side or PNG Hunters before debuting for the WC pirates.
Mining can pay for it. Everyone's a winner.

MugaB

Coach
Apart from these guys you mean?

Oh and this guy

and this guy

and this guy

yep we are so desperate for the Bears to save us lol.
PNG needs a proper pathway. Perth needs better Jnrs.
Pirates academy in Port Moresby for best talent to shine and either feed into Pirates Qlnd cup side or PNG Hunters before debuting for the WC pirates.
Mining can pay for it. Everyone's a winner.
2 of 4 articles are paywall, the other two are 2 years old, where are they NOW! Right now, not articles from years ago... im not pushing a case against perth, i want them back as the reds, as their own identity, but if anything its not going to happen when there's all this shit divided, also doesn't help that there isn't a stand out club from the area pushing for it's own case, eg redcliffe, easts, ipswich... now its the bears

Perth Red

Post Whore
2 of 4 articles are paywall, the other two are 2 years old, where are they NOW! Right now, not articles from years ago... im not pushing a case against perth, i want them back as the reds, as their own identity, but if anything its not going to happen when there's all this shit divided, also doesn't help that there isn't a stand out club from the area pushing for it's own case, eg redcliffe, easts, ipswich... now its the bears
Haha, they are there, as they where then, as they have been since 2011, as they will be when the call for bids come. Admit it you were wrong in your barbed commentary (if perth get a license its ony coz the bears have pushed for it, doesnt seem like anyone in perth has bothered to scrape a bid proposal together yet,) that it is Bears or no-one lol There are clearly a number of local interested parties. You seem to be confusing a lack of Sydney media interest in anything other than the Bears with a lack of Perth bid action!
a PNG link up makes total sense, probably a lot more sense than taking on the baggage of the Bears. Delivers the same thing without the strings attached. If PNG bid doesnt get in then WA/PNG link up should be a priority for whoever wins the bid, presuming its not the Bears partnership..

Colk

First Grade
If we consider that Perth and Adelaide are two major centres untapped by the NRL you would set aside two slots for them in the future and if you consider that the NRL is probably going to be a 20 team comp max, that leaves one slot left. For that slot you will have Brisbane 3 and NZ 2 almost certainly competing.

PNG is probably best left in the QLD Cup feeding their best into the NRL. They are not going to attract current NRL players to live in PNG and even Papuans that are of high quality would want to move to Australia, NZ or even SL at the first chance.

PNG will get their chance to shine though, through the international game. The Kumuls will become stronger and stronger with the current arrangements in place and will become more and more competitive at the RLWC and other major international tournaments as the international game expands.

I agree with pretty much everything you have said but I don’t think that Adelaide is even a consideration atm. Not saying that they shouldn’t be or that it would not work but I think a NZ 2 and a Brisbane 3 would be ahead of Adelaide