What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This idea is getting a ridiculous amount of support on Facebook groups.. which is stunning. I can't so many are turning a blind eye to the logistical & financial issues that having a top tier team in a 3rd World country would face.

Sure, Super Rugby are getting into the Pacific Islands with Fiji Drua & Moana Pacifica, BUT MP play their home games in Auckland (Mt Smart), so are effectively a 2nd Auckland team and the Drua, well.. they painted themselves into a corner by having so many substandard Australian teams & adding MP that they needed another team to make an even numbered competition - and I fear that the Drua will struggle for a long time before you see results from them.
tbh it staggers me how ill informed the majority of people are on most things lol. The number of people calling for Souths to move back to Redfern in the SFS social posts is staggering. Never underestimate the masses stupidity!

Mojo

Bench
Bring on the PNG team. I love the place, the people and the culture. Let the Solomon's in too. Make it a Pacific Islands free for all. The Chinese are shithouse footy players. Let them in too so we can give them a severe thrashing on a weekly basis.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bring on the PNG team. I love the place, the people and the culture. Let the Solomon's in too. Make it a Pacific Islands free for all. The Chinese are shithouse footy players. Let them in too so we can give them a severe thrashing on a weekly basis.
We've just got two teams started up in the Cocos Islands, I'm sure they'd be up for it as well lol

Colk

First Grade
tbh it staggers me how ill informed the majority of people are on most things lol. The number of people calling for Souths to move back to Redfern in the SFS social posts is staggering. Never underestimate the masses stupidity!

Never underestimate the stupidity of the masses. I’ve had a debate on the merits (essentially lack thereof) of a CC team and a PNG team within the last 48 hours.

The Great Dane

First Grade
They should also set up an NRL scouting camp like NFL do and bring the best 100 PNG kids over each year (they could include PI as well) and invite NRL scouts to attend for the week to run their eyes over the best 16-18 year old kids the country is developing. Then offer some scholarship programs to say 2 kids per NRL club to encourage them to give them a shot. Worse case is the Digicell cup ends up with some much better trained players raising the standards of it in years to come. NRL clubs are generally lazy when it comes to scouting talent it seems.

Theres been more kids picked up out of WA's jnr system than PNG's which is nuts when you consider player numbers, and only happens because of exposure to clubs scouts WA kids have and PNG kids dont.
TBF NRL sides have been trying to do more in PNG for decades but have always had trouble getting visas for Papuan players.

That's been the major hurdle in PNG since at least the 90s, but surely now that the government is onboard some sort of compromise could be found.

So many people around me chatting about this and ‘oh PNG, it’s a great idea!’
But what about Perth?
A dismissive wave and…
‘Oh, they had a chance and failed.’
Ffs

Colk

First Grade
So many people around me chatting about this and ‘oh PNG, it’s a great idea!’
But what about Perth?
A dismissive wave and…
‘Oh, they had a chance and failed.’
Ffs

They probably complain at the same time about how the League would have to invest all this money to make Perth work - without any sense of irony

The Great Dane

First Grade
This idea is getting a ridiculous amount of support on Facebook groups.. which is stunning. I can't so many are turning a blind eye to the logistical & financial issues that having a top tier team in a 3rd World country would face.
It's one of the biggest problems with social media ATM.

On any given subject you have tons of people without a clue what they are talking about commenting on it. That large group of people then have an impact on the decision because anybody in a decision making position sees those opinions and thinks there's a strong consensus in the community on the issue, when really it's just a bunch of ignorant morons talking out their arse. Because we don't have any statesmen anymore, only slimy politicians and corrupt leaders who are only interested in staying in power, they'll often listen to the mob over people with an informed opinion because that's what will keep them in power/popular.

What makes it worse is that often those tons of ill-informed people are actually just a loud minority claiming to represent the average man, whom have been given a massively outsized say by social media.

It's all the worse flaws of direct democracy without actually being in a direct democracy. Strange times indeed.

The same thing happened with the Redcliffe bid BTW. The support for them to get the license was overwhelming positive on social media, but 95% of the support for them didn't understand what the Dolphin's bid was actually offering, never engaged with criticism against their bid, and didn't intend to ever actually support them even if they did win the license.
It's why you see so much outrage when they announced they wouldn't be called 'Redcliffe', didn't intend to play all their games at this or that stadium, etc, etc, because the people whom supported the bid didn't have a clue what they were actually supporting. But this is a tangent.
Sure, Super Rugby are getting into the Pacific Islands with Fiji Drua & Moana Pacifica, BUT MP play their home games in Auckland (Mt Smart), so are effectively a 2nd Auckland team and the Drua, well.. they painted themselves into a corner by having so many substandard Australian teams & adding MP that they needed another team to make an even numbered competition - and I fear that the Drua will struggle for a long time before you see results from them.
It's worse than that. World Rugby has committed to underwrite the Drua and Moana Pacifica.

I forget the exact details, but because WR see the value in their existence they committed to make sure that they wouldn't fold for financial reasons until X year, and have offered them other support.

I doubt anybody would have a problem with a PNG side joining the NRL if there was some RL body who was willing and capable of offering the NRL and a PNG side a similar deal, but no such body exists, so trying to compare them to a PNG NRL side is a total furphy.

Colk

First Grade

That’s hilarious. If I hadn’t of seen the title of the video I would have expected to hear a profound statement about social interactions, history of democracy or even something spiritual.

His statement is true nonetheless

Colk

First Grade
It's one of the biggest problems with social media ATM.

On any given subject you have tons of people without a clue what they are talking about commenting on it. That large group of people then have an impact on the decision because anybody in a decision making position sees those opinions and thinks there's a strong consensus in the community on the issue, when really it's just a bunch of ignorant morons talking out their arse. Because we don't have any statesmen anymore, only slimy politicians and corrupt leaders who are only interested in staying in power, they'll often listen to the mob over people with an informed opinion because that's what will keep them in power/popular.

What makes it worse is that often those tons of ill-informed people are actually just a loud minority claiming to represent the average man, whom have been given a massively outsized say by social media.

It's all the worse flaws of direct democracy without actually being in a direct democracy. Strange times indeed.

The same thing happened with the Redcliffe bid BTW. The support for them to get the license was overwhelming positive on social media, but 95% of the support for them didn't understand what the Dolphin's bid was actually offering, never engaged with criticism against their bid, and didn't intend to ever actually support them even if they did win the license.
It's why you see so much outrage when they announced they wouldn't be called 'Redcliffe', didn't intend to play all their games at this or that stadium, etc, etc, because the people whom supported the bid didn't have a clue what they were actually supporting. But this is a tangent.

It's worse than that. World Rugby has committed to underwrite the Drua and Moana Pacifica.

I forget the exact details, but because WR see the value in their existence they committed to make sure that they wouldn't fold for financial reasons until X year, and have offered them other support.

I doubt anybody would have a problem with a PNG side joining the NRL if there was some RL body who was willing and capable of offering the NRL and a PNG side a similar deal, but no such body exists, so trying to compare them to a PNG NRL side is a total furphy.

I love how those people that rave on social media often refer to themselves as the ‘quiet Australians’ or the ‘silent majority’ - refer to vaccination and COVID for prime examples.

You are also often right about how politicians (I would include certain media as well) utilise these type of uninformed voters for the benefit of their own power base. Anyway we’re getting off topic here.

I am not a huge of rugby union, so it is interesting regards to them funding such a Pacific side. The NRL or IRL wouldn’t have such funds of course, no private interest (sane one anyway) would ever pump money into it with no chance of a return and you couldn’t bank on the Australian government to financially support it over the long term because they’ll cut and run as soon as it became contrary to their interests.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I love how those people that rave on social media often refer to themselves as the ‘quiet Australians’ or the ‘silent majority’ - refer to vaccination and COVID for prime examples.

You are also often right about how politicians (I would include certain media as well) utilise these type of uninformed voters for the benefit of their own power base. Anyway we’re getting off topic here.
Covid was actually a little different to what we're talking about.

Covid was a full blown mass hysteria where there was an actual majority consensus, not a faux consensus. That consensus came to bad conclusions because the decisions were made as a result of a rushed hysteria pushed by fear, instead of after considered deliberation, but there was a consensus on those decisions.

What compounded the problem in covid's case was the refusal to backdown from the initial response once we realised that it was stupid because of a fear of losing face. At that point, at least in western countries, you really did have a sizable 'silent' group that was being ignored, but any time somebody tried to represent them their movement was quickly consumed by crazies after the media and political class conflated that movement with said crazies. At that point it was a classic game of power politics.

This clip is a better approximation of what went on with covid than the other clip-
But you're right, we're getting away from the topic at hand.

Last edited: