What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Pippen94

First Grade
Funding rugby union in the Pacific was set up by the liberal party in 2019 & has run ever since. NRL would be crazy to sit back & let rugby receive millions to have players developed for that sport. The Pacific is a huge nursery of talent. Vlandys is doing the right thing by the sport, by looking to take up the government's offer.

Canard

Immortal
Did you oppose Aussie government giving money to super team in Fiji??
Yes, why would you think people who have been saying PNG is a stupid idea and only a brain dead idiot would support it, would be happy with funding for a Fijian Rugby team?

MugaB

Coach
Yes, why would you think people who have been saying PNG is a stupid idea and only a brain dead idiot would support it, would be happy with funding for a Fijian Rugby team?
No one seem to crack the shits when that happened for the SRs drua, yet it's some huge travesty when NRL want to do the same in PNG ffs
Only reason you gave 2 shits was coz it involved Cairns being roped in as a pasifika hub, and we couldnt stand by let Cowboy Cairns get overrun by Papuans now could we.. the joint is 4 hours drive north of Townsville, like saying Wollongong is part of the Knights catchment
FluidMammothBeaver-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
No one seem to crack the shits when that happened for the SRs drua, yet it's some huge travesty when NRL want to do the same in PNG ffs
Only reason you gave 2 shits was coz it involved Cairns being roped in as a pasifika hub, and we couldnt stand by let Cowboy Cairns get overrun by Papuans now could we.. the joint is 4 hours drive north of Townsville, like saying Wollongong is part of the Knights catchment
View attachment 88114
No Cairns was never on the cards, that was just some bullshit that you and your Sydney mates came up with when you realised it was a stupid idea.

Giving a few million a year to a Union side in Fiji is a bad idea, but 10s of Millions to PNG is idiotic

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m not against govt funding a png nrl team, they spend our hard earned on all sorts of idiotic stuff. The amount, not that I believe it will be $600mill is a bit ridiculous.
My problem is viability and long term survival. A club 100% reliant on govt funding just to exist is in a perilous state from day 1. Then we have the problem of the team being able to build a squad to compete.
If i had confidence the nrl would step in when govt money runs out ala afl do for their expansion sides and they gave them enough lead in time to get png players up to scratch then I’d be much happier that this isn’t going to end in tears, having a successful png team in the nrl would be awesome, I just struggle to see how it will be.

MugaB

Coach
No Cairns was never on the cards, that was just some bullshit that you and your Sydney mates came up with when you realised it was a stupid idea.

Giving a few million a year to a Union side in Fiji is a bad idea, but 10s of Millions to PNG is idiotic
Cairns was definitely on the cards, especiallysince this all started as a pacifika team, then it morphed in a png stand alone, then bennett and olam started talking about PNG needing to be based in PNG.
Your cowboys got the shits about Cairns hence the move away from it.

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach
I suspect for tax purposes. Government won't give players a tax break, so Vlandys wants them based in PNG to avoid tax. Meeting today was about getting government to build bubble in png. Well, that's what I chose to believe because it's more exciting..

The tax rates would be the same for most players in PNG, and higher for players on lower wages.

Pippen94

First Grade
People have been rallying against funding for pacific rugby for years. That's why it's never been mentioned here before. Lol

Canard

Immortal
Cairns was definitely on the cards, especiallysince this all started as a pacifika team, then it morphed in a png stand alone, then bennett and olam started talking about PNH needing to be based in PNG.
Your cowboys got the shits about Cairns hence the move away from it.
The idea that you and your mates @Pippen94 and @Wb1234 claimed was 100% nailed down is now being questioned and you've gotten all sooky about it

I was always saying if govt don't fund it, it won't happen, you're the sook, saying cowboys can't have another team in Cairns syphoning their talent for PNG..
I dare say tho, don't bet against PVL
I think you should run a YouTube channel.

Have a digital map of the pacific behind you with arrows etc explaining what your plans are.

As the game heads into tip and with the future of most forms of tackling in doubt, more and more countries will enter the fray.

And quite possibly, within 10 or 15 years, mixed gender sides.

There could be illegal all male games held at night in quiet suburban bbq parks. Look-outs up the road.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
The NRL has a plan to build a compound for players and their families to live in Port Moresby if a PNG side is introduced to the competition.

"Let's see if they make a decision if PNG is coming into the comp and then we will start worrying about compounds and who is coaching them," Bennett said when asked if he would live in a compound.

"There is a lot of push from the (Federal) government about an 18th team being in PNG. That is the reality.

Shouldn't V'landys be using this as an opportunity to get Stadium Australia and Lang Park upgraded?

Gov wants a team in PNG. NRL want Lang Park and Stadium Australia to have a roof.

MugaB

Coach
The NRL has a plan to build a compound for players and their families to live in Port Moresby if a PNG side is introduced to the competition.

"Let's see if they make a decision if PNG is coming into the comp and then we will start worrying about compounds and who is coaching them," Bennett said when asked if he would live in a compound.

"There is a lot of push from the (Federal) government about an 18th team being in PNG. That is the reality.

Bennett's right, we will have to keep expanding, 20 won't be enough, there's already 2 nz bidders, East tigers and Ipswich, NB bears, and one in WA, all at the moment, Fiji is putting a bid together aswell, not to mention there's nothing yet for a presence in Adelaide, Victoria has 8 million population, eventually they'll be wanting another one there too, that's 4-6 clubs ontop of what's happening now with Png, that's a 22-24 club comp

Latest posts