What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poasa Faamausili to play Lock

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Lawrie was one of if not our best forward last year. He was let down badly by a few other bigger names in our side
He was awesome last year I really do t get the hate. He’s starting to develop a passing game and I’ve seen him make a few good cover tackles. He will be a slow burner but I reckon he will become a very good player for us. I’m only putting him at lock due to lack of locks.

possm

Coach
He was awesome last year I really do t get the hate. He’s starting to develop a passing game and I’ve seen him make a few good cover tackles. He will be a slow burner but I reckon he will become a very good player for us. I’m only putting him at lock due to lack of locks.
In my opinion Lawrie was rank ordinary, maybe due to coaching instructions; we will soon find out. In the prop rotation I have him behind Vaughan, Kerr, Alvaro and Faamausili.

Lawrie is a local junior and so I truely wish that he shows marked improvement under Griffin and his staff in season 2021. I'd like to see him bend or break the line, increase his line speed in defence and defend with more accuracy and purpose.

kit66

Bench
De Belin was the modern day prototype for a lock. Agile, fast, rangy and jard hitting in defense. The Radleys and Murrays (and a few others) have morphed that even further.

Who do we have that fits this type of role both body wise and physical wise?

Merrin....no
Bird......fit it would be a yes
McInnes....on the small side of the prototype
Fuimaono....has it but is it in his heart
Kerr.....well the Storm have tried NAS there with some success
Poasa.....no his shape is not in the prototype range
JDB......well yes but hasnt played for near on 2 and a half years.

Anyone else?

Ford could become a great lock but we'll need him in the 2nd row until we recruit a handy edge or two.
He's a great defender he has ball skills and reads the game well. I'm expecting a big year from him.
If you're worried about his size he's 95kgs, that's 5kg heavier than Cam Murray. Most locks are around the 105kg mark , a few lighter, a few heavier. Ideally you'd like a big fella 105kg+ ( Lawrie ) to start the game and bring on you're smaller more mobile, ball playing lock ( Ford ) later in the game. Unless you have a Taumalolo handy.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
In my opinion Lawrie was rank ordinary, maybe due to coaching instructions; we will soon find out. In the prop rotation I have him behind Vaughan, Kerr, Alvaro and Faamausili.

Lawrie is a local junior and so I truely wish that he shows marked improvement under Griffin and his staff in season 2021. I'd like to see him bend or break the line, increase his line speed in defence and defend with more accuracy and purpose.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and in my opinion stats don’t lie.

BLM01

First Grade
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and in my opinion stats don’t lie.
Very true. But depends how you interpret these stats and how they are measured vary greatly, which means at times they are a facade and only show one point of view and don’t always get to the core
People, media and some brain dead coaches rely too much on stats and not actually view what’s in front of them with their own eyes or know how to break down and interpret those stats
I agree though in saying all that I don’t need stats to see how Lawrie efforts last year more so in attack with maybe exception of Frizzell was superior to others in the forward pack.

kit66

Bench
Very true. But depends how you interpret these stats and how they are measured vary greatly, which means at times they are a facade and only show one point of view and don’t always get to the core
People, media and some brain dead coaches rely too much on stats and not actually view what’s in front of them with their own eyes or know how to break down and interpret those stats
I agree though in saying all that I don’t need stats to see how Lawrie efforts last year more so in attack with maybe exception of Frizzell was superior to others in the forward pack.

Lawrie was a real leader of the pack in the lower grades and at 24 yrs old and after a couple of years in first grade he's starting to come into his own. I saw some really determined efforts from him last year and thought he is really becoming quite a dominant player. Some might miss it but he loves to get into little battles with one or two opposition forwards each week, especially guys he played against in the lower grades. He wants to dominate those guys and prove his worth. I can see him becoming one of the leagues best props in the next year or two. I wasn't convinced at first but he's won me over.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Lawrie put up some decent stats last year particularly total run meters. He just needs to be left alone at Prop. He’s not a Lock he lacks lateral mobility. Unfair to ask him play a position he’s not suited to.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Lawrie put up some decent stats last year particularly total run meters. He just needs to be left alone at Prop. He’s not a Lock he lacks lateral mobility. Unfair to ask him play a position he’s not suited to.
I was watching him closely last year and I disagree about the lateral movement, I was pleasantly surprised with some of his cover tackles. His passing game is pretty good too.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It depends on how the coach plays the “lock” position..

Some play it as an extra front rower, others play it as mobile ball player...

Me, I prefer the latter..

blacksafake

First Grade
Lawrie was a real leader of the pack in the lower grades and at 24 yrs old and after a couple of years in first grade he's starting to come into his own. I saw some really determined efforts from him last year and thought he is really becoming quite a dominant player. Some might miss it but he loves to get into little battles with one or two opposition forwards each week, especially guys he played against in the lower grades. He wants to dominate those guys and prove his worth. I can see him becoming one of the leagues best props in the next year or two. I wasn't convinced at first but he's won me over.
Agree kit66

Maddragon99

Juniors
It depends on how the coach plays the “lock” position..

Some play it as an extra front rower, others play it as mobile ball player...

Me, I prefer the latter..
Agreed. But the cupboard is bare with mobile ball players. I haven’t seen Faamausili play week in & week out but from what I’ve seen I’d prefer Faamausili than Lawrie at Lock.

I want Lawrie to run like a wild animal & if he’s got an offload than that’s even better.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I want Lawrie to run like a wild animal & if he’s got an offload than that’s even better.
I don’t.

Wild animals run in the opposite direction from opponents. Even apex predators will flee when effectively challenged.

I want Lawrie to run like a Vegan towards an organic farmers market offering free lentils.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I don’t.

Wild animals run in the opposite direction from opponents. Even apex predators will flee when effectively challenged.

I want Lawrie to run like a Vegan towards an organic farmers market offering free lentils.
Hahah fu@k you make me laugh. I was initially going say run like a raging bull but I didn’t want to draw parallels with Tallis. That would have been unfair

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Lawrie may not be the flashiest of props across the nrl but he’s one tough hombre. Never takes a back ward step and loves the heavy contact. Great signs for a young fella learning his trade in the toughest position on the field.

With all due respect I can't agree with you...or anyone talking up Lawrie for that matter. Lawrie is more of a plodder. One of those journey men forwards who go to a club just to add depth...He is like a Jeremy Latimore or George Rose...He has not shown me anything that indicates he is a gun...again...I don't mean any disrespect.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
With all due respect I can't agree with you...or anyone talking up Lawrie for that matter. Lawrie is more of a plodder. One of those journey men forwards who go to a club just to add depth...He is like a Jeremy Latimore or George Rose...He has not shown me anything that indicates he is a gun...again...I don't mean any disrespect.
He was literally our best forward last year.

If he’s a plodder, we should sack the rest of the forward pack right now.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
He was literally our best forward last year.

If he’s a plodder, we should sack the rest of the forward pack right now.

yes he was the best forward in a bad squad last year. And the rest of the squad needs to be either sacked or a rocket fired up them because they were terrible.

kit66

Bench

He's a Dragons junior who's come up through the ranks, playing for both NSW under 20's SOO and the Junior Kangaroos teams along the way. Born and bred in Wollongong. Don't know where you get " Journey man " from. I'm hoping he stays with us for years to come. He worked really hard for us in 2020 especially in defence - him and Vaughan both were two of the hardest working props in the league - they had to be because others in the team and the coach let them down most games. He'll go better this year too under Griffin.

possm

Coach
I was watching him closely last year and I disagree about the lateral movement, I was pleasantly surprised with some of his cover tackles. His passing game is pretty good too.
So where was our problem in the forwards last season? We were soft up the middle even with McInnes and Lawrie puting in top performances.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
So where was our problem in the forwards last season? We were soft up the middle even with McInnes and Lawrie puting in top performances.
Vaughan had his worst year, Kerr didn’t set the world alight, Sims was out most of the year, Friz had his worst year, Ford and Fuimaono are works in progress, as is Lawrie himself but he was still the best of a bad bunch.

hewi

Bench
Vaughan had his worst year, Kerr didn’t set the world alight, Sims was out most of the year, Friz had his worst year, Ford and Fuimaono are works in progress, as is Lawrie himself but he was still the best of a bad bunch.

I can’t help but think that what you are saying was all due to a lack of enthusiasm strike by the players to subtlety get the message across that they had had enough of the coach.