What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pokemon Go

Frederick

Staff member
I took the gym near my work the other day. Planted my best vaporeon there...had lost the gym within hours haha

DB

First Grade
My work is a gym... I held it for 1-2 minutes. Highlight of my life.

Apey

Staff member
Planted some dud 300 odd CP Pokemon at a Gym that is fairly out of the way and it was gone within 30 minutes. Completely hooked..

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Halfway through level 7 now, lagging behind my mates who are towards 18-20
Although, to be fair, I havn't actually set time aside to go hunting and ive been at it less than a week.
Whats really starting to intrigue me now is that the level of CP pokemon I'm finding is increasing rather quickly as I'm going up levels. I remember first starting catching 10 or 14CP things, now I'm regularly finding over 100CP.

Frederick

Staff member
A few things announced at their panel at comic con today:

• Trading between players will be introduced in future updates
  • Ability to change Pokemon stops into Pokemon centres
  • Fix for the three step glitch
  • Acknowledgment of the eevie Easter egg and how you can control its evolution
  • Legendary birds won't be introduced until the game has been launched worldwide

Apey

Staff member
Everyone who gives up and quits should trade me their pokemon tbh.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
2 behind, level 8
Think I am behind the majority, but that's okay by me. I have work, a kid and another commitment which puts me out of hunting Wed,Thurs and most of Saturday

Getting to the stage where CP seems to be really strong on wild pokemon (well from what I've previously had) but then I compare to my friends and they seem piddly.

perverse

Referee
So, I recently started an alt account to have a bit of a playaround with this after noticing people playing suspiciously on twitch. Turns out with a good android emulator and a GPS spoofer, you can play from the comfort of your own home and teleport to anywhere in the world - with the worst punishment from Niantec being a 1/2 hour soft-ban if they catch you. They didn't catch me in the 4-5 hours I was playing with it.

Honestly, if you are running around in this game hatching eggs by foot, or even finding pokemon by foot, you are being suckered and have no chance against the cheaters. I hit level 17 in a single night on my alt account. The gross part was that I barely cheated - I just hung around at Circular Quay and the Opera House. Technically you could have done everything I did by foot, aside from a Dragonair I teleported to Hyde Park for. I probably "walked" about 6km in total, I managed to hatch a 5km egg. The software I was using is already good enough to simulate walking with your GPS by using WASD to walk around. It was pretty seemless and easy.

Not sure if Niantec can or will do anything about it. I don't believe they can detect the GPS spoof if the android distribution is custom and has been built to avoid it. They could implement some complicated algorithms on the server side to detect if you've moved a "possible" distance in any given amount of time - and ban you... but it would add a massive amount of overhead for them in removing accidental bans, etc. Given the scale of the software, I doubt this will happen. All in all, I daresay the cheating is here to stay. Personally, I'm not sure how much "foot time" I can be bothered sinking into the game anymore, knowing that there's a small but growing legion of GPS spoofers out there.

Having said that, if you're still keen on the game after this knowledge and live in Sydney, I can promise you that walking between Circular Quay and the Opera House will net you a disgusting number of pokemon. You pretty much can't catch them quick enough. There must be quite a horde of motherf**kers down there every night... so many lures... and they were still pumping after I went to bed.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
Check out pokevision.com - tells you where pokemon are live to the minute. I only scoped around the city to test the system out, wasn't really pushing it to see if I could get banned. I might check out Paris or something tonight, lol.

I definitely recommend the opera house area, though. Caught a Gyarados there... and countless other shit. I believe the rarest spawns happen in areas with a very high density of trainers, which is kinda dumb really. That area around Circular Quay is just packed with trainers all the time as far as I can see.

Frederick

Staff member
Reached level 14 today, and hatched a lapras from a 10k egg. Forced to play the game the right way...iPhone with latest iOS so no jailbreak option for me. Between full time work and two kids under three I don't find much time to go searching for Pokemon. Hit a few regular pokestops on the way to and from work, and can usually catch a fair few at work, and walking pace speed limits are handy for hatching eggs. Would love to spend an hour or two in somewhere like circular quay just to see how many I could get

Apey

Staff member
I honestly don't understand the point in playing if you're going to cheat like that. It makes everything fun and different about the game redundant. I don't think it'll catch on en masse, I think too many people are appreciating the social and active aspect of the game.

That being said I've been using apps similar to Pokevision but better (more Pokemon showing up - Pokevision misses a bunch) mostly due to the 3 step issue. I use it when I'm at home so I can see if it's worth going for a walk around the neighbourhood.

Based on what perverse said though it might be worth starting to use it on my mobile when I'm out as well. The only reason I haven't is because I've been using a dummy account on it and I cbf switching between accounts while I'm out... if there is no risk for getting banned for these pokemon detecting apps then I may as well just use my main account until they fix the 3 step issue.

Fred - The breakwall & Civic Park are the best places in Newcastle afaik. Always loads of people hanging out there.

Frederick

Staff member
Fred - The breakwall & Civic Park are the best places in Newcastle afaik. Always loads of people hanging out there.
Yeah but being that I live in maitland it's a bit hard to justify driving 30 minutes down there to catch Pokemon. Even harder to try to justify it to wife hahaha. Hexham has three pokestops and a gym at Ozzie the mozzie...they're the ones I hit before/after work. The gym is ripe for the picking too - held by the blue team, guarded by a tangela, vaporeon and flareon. Took some prestige off them with my flareon, electabuzz and vaporeon. Would've taken the whole gym but didn't have enough time this arvo

Apey

Staff member
two kids under three

latest

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Living in the 'burbs, about to go to bed. Thought I'd check to see if anything was near my house. Turn it on to find someone has a lure on the nearest pokestop (a water tower). and their username is nothing but a series of numbers. This is around midnight.

I didn't investigate, but it felt....odd....

Parra

Referee
Is there anything decent in outer west when you were looking at it, or just easier to be in the city?

The difference is chalk and cheese.

Have a look what is in your outer suburb - there will be stuff there.

And then have a look at Chinatown in Sydney. I was there for lunch this week - you could get through a couple of levels while you eat lunch without moving. They area is saturated.

perverse

Referee
I honestly don't understand the point in playing if you're going to cheat like that. It makes everything fun and different about the game redundant. I don't think it'll catch on en masse, I think too many people are appreciating the social and active aspect of the game.
This is like saying people won't cheat in counter strike because they enjoy the competitive nature of it. I agree with you that it's an enjoyable aspect of the game, I don't believe it will stop a single cheater.