What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Politis offers to stand down

DJ1

Juniors
Politis offers to stand downBy Greg Prichard
July 21, 2005

Sydney Roosters chairman Nick Politis last night offered to stand down from his position on the NRL partnership committee if league chief executive David Gallop thought he should.

Politis was reacting to a vote by club chief executives at a meeting yesterday to recommend a dramatic restructuring of the game's controlling bodies.

The chief executives voted 12-0 to cut the partnership committee and NRL board to one body, and also to remove individuals with club affiliations from that body.

"We have an NRL board and an NRL partnership both overseeing the game," club council chairman and Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said in a statement after yesterday's meeting. "At the same time we have representatives of some clubs on those groups, which leaves the game open to suggestions regarding the independence of the board and the partnership.

"The chief executives feel that we have moved a long way since the formation of the NRL and it is time to seriously review the structure of the organisation.

"We feel there should be only one board and that it should be made up of independent thinkers who can bring new ideas to assist the administration. The NRL has a strong management team and it should have a more effective board structure."
Two clubs - the Roosters and Cronulla - abstained from the vote and Newcastle was not represented. Sharks chairman Barry Pierce is the chairman of the NRL board.

Asked to respond to the vote and Fitzgerald's statement, Politis said: "I've got no comment to make because this issue comes up every year but if Mr Fitzgerald feels so strong about it he should maybe get Mr Gallop to tap me on the shoulder and I'll be quite happy to stand down."

But Gallop pointed out that it was not within his job description to suggest to members of the board or partnership committee that they should step down.

"It isn't my role to tell any board member what to do," Gallop said last night. "My role is to report the outcome of the meeting to the board."

Asked what would happen with the clubs' recommendation in regard to restructuring, Gallop said: "I'll report it to the partnership committee but beyond that it isn't an issue that I can deal with."

Fitzgerald said last night the recommendation was not directed at individuals on the board or partnership committee but rather the perception that neither body could be objective in its decision-making when it included some individuals tied to clubs.

"There has to be a perception of impartiality and objectivity when it comes to the controlling bodies," he said. "But that isn't there at the moment.

"There has to be transparency in terms of decision-making, and the way it is now some people think some clubs have too much to say in the decision-making of the league."

The meeting also saw the clubs receive a breakdown of the free-to-air and pay television agreements that were recently negotiated, and an outline of match scheduling from 2007. That information was generally well-received.

"The [television] package is a good one for the game and it provides us with some certainty," Canberra chief executive Simon Hawkins said. "The clubs fully support the actions of the NRL in allocating the game's funding, particularly given the uncertainty we face and will continue to face because of the State Government's poker machine taxes."

The meeting agreed plans should be made during the off season to determine the allocation of funds, which will not change substantially until 2007.

That would include allocation of club grants and changes to the collective bargaining agreement.

The clubs also emphasised their commitment to ensuring an effective players' association.

"We realise the value of an effective players' association and we need to ensure that it is one prepared to work with the clubs and the NRL rather than look to spark conflict," Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said.

NRL judiciary chairman Greg Woods has denied Canberra leave to appeal against the eight-match suspension of Simon Woolford for a dangerous throw.

Source: SMH

DJ1

Juniors
So basically, despite a unanimous vote (amongst those 12 CEOs who voted), that there should be no club representatives on the NRL boards, Politis says that he will only step down if asked by possibly the only person on the planet who cannot legally ask him to do so.

hahahahaha

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
DJ1 said:
So basically, despite a unanimous vote (amongst those 12 CEOs who voted), that there should be no club representatives on the NRL boards, Politis says that he will only step down if asked by possibly the only person on the planet who cannot legally ask him to do so.

hahahahaha

good summary

who is this guy kidding, it appears to be all a bluff

Denny Crane

Juniors
Good Morning, I'm Denny Crane.

As an ardent supporter of the Roosters, I too think that Uncle Nick should step down. Its too much to ask someone to objectively make decisions for the good of the game that in some way may hinder their own club. And that is not to slur the good name of Nick or Barry Pierce, its just common sense.

The NRL needs to move forward, and while they're at it, get rid of the NSWRL and the QRL so its all under one banner so as to stop the case whereby the states get to choose the referee for the State of Origin matches.

Good morning.

Shifty

Juniors
Hopefully the recommendation is acted upon and not just Politis, but any club board member is prohibited from holding a position on NRL committees in the future.

Even if it is only for the perception of independance and objectiveness.

m0j0

Bench
While I'm all for this change, where do we stop? Do we also prevent NRL board members from having a team they support? For example, while Gordon Tallis is not officially affiliated with any club, you can't tell me he doesn't hold some bias for Brisbane or, at the very least, Queensland.

DJ1

Juniors
The bottom line is that the Broncos were not allowed to employ Gordon Tallis because he holds a position on the NRL partnership commitee.

However, it is fine for Nick Politis also a member of the NRL partnership commitee to be employed by the Roosters.

Fairfax

Juniors
DJ1, give it a rest you whinger.

Nothing is sadder than a person who has only one idea.

You need to move on.

m0j0

Bench
DJ1 said:
The bottom line is that the Broncos were not allowed to employ Gordon Tallis because he holds a position on the NRL partnership commitee.

However, it is fine for Nick Politis also a member of the NRL partnership commitee to be employed by the Roosters.

Are you having a whinge about the double standards in general, or are you having another whinge at the Roosters? I noticed you didn't mention Barry Pierce in your little outburst.

DJ1

Juniors
m0j0 said:
Are you having a whinge about the double standards in general, or are you having another whinge at the Roosters? I noticed you didn't mention Barry Pierce in your little outburst.

The double standards of course.

Barry Pierce is on the NRL board not the Partnership Commitee.

All the NRL board have to do is review and sign off on the financials and appoint the CEO. It's the partnership commitee that is involved with the decision making.

Chook

First Grade
Don't worry DJ1, I'm sure you and your little flock of halfbacked whingers will get a chance to whinge about this again soon. After all, this topic is brought up every year in the CEO's forum and every second week in this forum. LOL.

Bleat away.

Chook.

smeghead

Bench
Chook your a one eyed idiot. You claim peoples hatred of the Roosters affects their judgement whereas I would suggest that you are the one blinded by you love for your club. I mean if we cannot guarantee the system is impartial we should at least ensure that it appears impartial.
I would bring up Robert Finch in this vein but I think you only have to look at how poorly the man does his job to say he should be fired

melon....

Coach
smeghead said:
Chook your a one eyed idiot. You claim peoples hatred of the Roosters affects their judgement whereas I would suggest that you are the one blinded by you love for your club. I mean if we cannot guarantee the system is impartial we should at least ensure that it appears impartial.
I would bring up Robert Finch in this vein but I think you only have to look at how poorly the man does his job to say he should be fired
Whats Finch got to do with it? I KNOW!! Because he is teh boss of the referees to cover up any conspiracy theories related to bias, he ensured his son copped 2 weeks for being third man in after a brawl against St.George, yet parramatta players and sta George players were allowed to go on with it.

Yes I see your point. But Im afraid you are the blind one.

As far as NRL commitees and partnership boards...who gives a f**k. They look after the ones they want to...like the judiciary.

Screw everything...go Easts.

smeghead

Bench
I was saying with regard to Robert Finch that basically you could go on with conspiracy theories but in the end look at how bad the standard of reffing has been again this year and it proves that plain and simple he is sh*t at his job. I dont think he needs to cover up any bias because I dont think that happens. He is just bad at his job.
I dont particularily care either way when it comes to the Roosters I would just like to remove any excuse people have for suggesting bias or favourable treatment

ngap

Juniors
Can we clarify a few things.
Tallis and Pierce are directors of the NRL board
Politis is on the partnership comitee.

Pierce and Politis are appointed by the ARL. Can anyone tell me how they are appointed? I thought they were elected by the ARL.

Tallis was selected by News Limited. He now supposibly can't be employed by Brisbane. Who has put in this ban? The NRL or News Limited?
If its the NRL, the equivalent person who should stand down is Pierce.

If the ARL wants to get rid of the affiliated directors, it is the clubs through the QRL, NSWRL and Country RL that need to change the directors. ARL is in charge of these people not the NRL.

I don't remember Fiztgerald refusing to hold similar positions or stand for election with the NSWRL.

Latest posts