What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Burwood

Bench
I’d rather he stayed at fullback for the next 2 or so seasons. Making 30+ tackles every week will take its toll, especially when he hasn’t got origin quality forwards standing shoulder to shoulder with him. Let him develop his game, especially kicking, and let him go from there.

Noname36

First Grade
Play him where he wants to play (which may be fullback) but I think Ponga would make a fantastic (the best) 5/8. He showed tonight that he's up to the challenge defensively. If Watson learns how to pass he could slot in at fullback where he can play to his strengths (his running game).

6.Ponga
7.Pearce

is the future

Not gonna happen.

Brown’s already said that unless Ponga came to him and really wanted to move positions (and he said that’s highly unlikely because he wants to play fullback) then he’d never consider moving him for many years at least.

There’s absolutely no reason to move him either. The good fullbacks play like an extra 5/8 now anyway and are just as involved. We’d be nuts to move him when he’s been doing so well at fullback and that’s where he wants to play.

Noname36

First Grade
Does anyone else see him as our long term 5/8?

I think it's easier to make/sign a fullback than a genuine playmaking 5/8.

No.

Good fullbacks play like an extra 5/8 now anyway.

The position has become one of the most important on the field. Probably more so than 5/8 anyway. You need a ball playing fullback. The days of fullbacks with running games only are done unless they're brilliant (like a Tedesco).

Don’t know why you’d want us to f**k with Ponga by moving him to 5/8 when he can get just as involved at fullback. Watson is fine. We don’t need a playmaking 5/8 with Pearce and Ponga.

Yosh

Coach
Connor Watson isn't a 5/8 asshole. Can't kick, can't pass and has shown poor choices in attack. I have no doubt he could however make a great fullback. I just think it's the best thing for the team and I think Kalyn plays a lot more like 5/8 now than a traditional fullback. My only question was about his defence and last night he showed he's more than up to the task.
It might not happen this year or even next year but I think his future lies in the no.6 jersey.

Actually I think he is quite skilled at kicking and passing but decides to run the ball every single time. I think as he gets more experience, he'll pick better options in attack and make him even more dangerous.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I Worry that if we done become a top 4 team in the next few years that Ponga may leave us. We should sign him as soon as possible for as long as possible. I feel so lucky he decided to come to us.

Joel-22

Juniors
Actually I think he is quite skilled at kicking and passing but decides to run the ball every single time. I think as he gets more experience, he'll pick better options in attack and make him even more dangerous.

That's just not true. He can't pass to save himself and there's literally at least 10 players in reserve grade with a better kicking game.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Ponga should definitely remain at fullback for as long as possible. His ability to chime in on both sides of the field from fullback is a big plus. What he also offers from being in the number one jersey is quality defence, safety in difficult situations against the kick and a real spark when bringing the ball back. I’d prefer to leave Watson at 6 for a period and see how he goes.

Joel-22

Juniors
Just saw a post-origin interview with Ponga and he said he sees himself as a fullback. Guess that settles that lol
We need a 5/8 unless Watson suddenly learns how to pass and create overlaps

Joel-22

Juniors
I can't be the only one who has been extremely underwhelmed by Watson. Fantastic running game and has a dig in defence. He has shown that there are front rowers who possess better passing games and that's not even an exaggeration. I worry about his passing, his total lack of a kicking game and just poor decision-making. I'm not a hater, I'd love to see him prove me wrong but thus far im not very impressed. Playing with different halves is the worst excuse i've heard. Ponga has continued to be brilliant in Pearce's absence

Noname36

First Grade
I can't be the only one who has been extremely underwhelmed by Watson. Fantastic running game and has a dig in defence. He has shown that there are front rowers who possess better passing games and that's not even an exaggeration. I worry about his passing, his total lack of a kicking game and just poor decision-making. I'm not a hater, I'd love to see him prove me wrong but thus far im not very impressed. Playing with different halves is the worst excuse i've heard. Ponga has continued to be brilliant in Pearce's absence

Just because you’re underwhelmed with Watson it doesn’t make f**king with Ponga by moving him a better idea.

I’m willing to give Watson a chance to develop and show us if there’s more he can do once he has a proper playmaking halfback next to him. We knew Watson wasn’t a playmaker when we signed him, but you can get away with having a running 5/8 with Pearce and Ponga. He’s got something Watson. I’m not sure what it is yet or whether it will be enough to cement a FG spot long term but FFS let’s give him a chance to play in the role he brought him here to do. He’s been injured most of the year and when he wasn’t Pearce was.

And if he still doesn’t cut the mustard then there are heaps and heaps of better ideas than moving Ponga and screwing with him (especially when he doesn’t want to move).

Spot On

Coach

Only 11 games in the 6 for us and yes his passing is balls but I'm sure they'd be pouring the work into that area. He's obviously not a natural passer (which I just don't understand) but I think if we persist he could come up to scratch. Fobgers crossed.

Not easy manufacturing a 5/8 with all the skills at this level but he has shown some good signs in many areas - but the passing is pure puss atm.

Joel-22

Juniors
Just because you’re underwhelmed with Watson it doesn’t make f**king with Ponga by moving him a better idea.

I’m willing to give Watson a chance to develop and show us if there’s more he can do once he has a proper playmaking halfback next to him. We knew Watson wasn’t a playmaker when we signed him, but you can get away with having a running 5/8 with Pearce and Ponga. He’s got something Watson. I’m not sure what it is yet or whether it will be enough to cement a FG spot long term but FFS let’s give him a chance to play in the role he brought him here to do. He’s been injured most of the year and when he wasn’t Pearce was.

And if he still doesn’t cut the mustard then there are heaps and heaps of better ideas than moving Ponga and screwing with him (especially when he doesn’t want to move).

Yeah already established in previous posts that I wouldn't move Ponga given he doesn't want to.

You're a f**king moron if you think he couldn't excel in the 6 jersey as much as he has in the no 1.

The only reason I wouldn't move him (as i've said and you would know if you read my previous posts) is because he sees himself as a fullback. Otherwise, a move there in the future (which is ALL i've suggested) makes sense especially given our roster.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Only 11 games in the 6 for us and yes his passing is balls but I'm sure they'd be pouring the work into that area. He's obviously not a natural passer (which I just don't understand) but I think if we persist he could come up to scratch. Fobgers crossed.

Not easy manufacturing a 5/8 with all the skills at this level but he has shown some good signs in many areas - but the passing is pure puss atm.

Maybe that is part of his problem - he is keeping his fobgers crossed when passing :p

But I am prepared to see this season out with him in the 6 jumper and (hopefully) a decent stint with the rest of our spine at full strength, to see how it all gels.

Old dog

Juniors
Agreed with most of above, hard to judge player performances when missing a few players from critical positions, loss of Pearce and undermanned forwards