What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

aqua_duck

Coach
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/13...could-wait-until-2021-to-open-contract-talks/

."Ponga, who has just signed off on the paperwork to start building his first home in Newcastle, is happy in his current environment."

"One thing we’ve taught him is to take responsibility for his actions," Andre said.

"If we’ve agreed to a $1, $2, $3 deal over so many years, it’s not for us now to say he’s a $4, $5, $6 player. It’s pretty simple for us. It’s pretty simple for him. He has a contract and has to honour that."

That's the pleasing part for me

Knight Vision

First Grade
"One thing we’ve taught him is to take responsibility for his actions," Andre said.

"If we’ve agreed to a $1, $2, $3 deal over so many years, it’s not for us now to say he’s a $4, $5, $6 player. It’s pretty simple for us. It’s pretty simple for him. He has a contract and has to honour that."

That's the pleasing part for me
the Ponga's sound like a rare breed in the modern world. Nice to see some people have some old school principles. Perhaps pressuring the family for a contract extension would be the worst thing to do.

Burwood

Bench
That whole article worries me. Get ready for 2 years of speculation from the media. Every week there’ll be a story linking him to another club or another code.

Knight Vision

First Grade
That whole article worries me. Get ready for 2 years of speculation from the media. Every week there’ll be a story linking him to another club or another code.
yep it will be the go to article for a no news day ....... "Ponga All Blacks" Chooks talk to Ponga" Bellamy wants to coach KP" etc etc ad nauseum

aqua_duck

Coach
90% of the 'speculation' is journos making shit up to sell papers. I mean firstly he's got 2.5 years to go on his contract, he's about to build a brand new home in Newcastle, his old man has said they're happy and aren't looking for any upgrades yet there's still 10x more made up stories about him leaving than players who are either actually off contract or who are on the outer. Even if we signed him to a 10 year $10 million deal some lazy journo will still make up a Ponga story on a slow news day

Burwood

Bench
90% of the 'speculation' is journos making shit up to sell papers. I mean firstly he's got 2.5 years to go on his contract, he's about to build a brand new home in Newcastle, his old man has said they're happy and aren't looking for any upgrades yet there's still 10x more made up stories about him leaving than players who are either actually off contract or who are on the outer. Even if we signed him to a 10 year $10 million deal some lazy journo will still make up a Ponga story on a slow news day

Does it really matter if the stories are made up by journalists, or if they are legitimate like Cheika phoning Ponga himself to talk about his future? It will be a huge distraction to both the player and the club to have this matter hanging around.

There’s also every possibility that I could end up somewhat damaging Ponga’s brand- fans are going to be sick of seeing his name in every second article, especially when it has nothing to do with his footy on the field.

And because Andre has now said that they won’t be signing a contract until the current one ends, you can expect every day over the next two and a half years for there to be articles on the topic. Every single day will feel like a slow news day. If all the crap of the last week has been painful to follow, just imagine that happening until 2021.

I can respect the values that his parents hold and have instilled in him, but it isn’t making life easy for the club.

Burns

First Grade
Agree.

Potentially destabilising for player group if it drags on and in?

Don’t need another circus like we had with Joey when he was considering playing Union back in the day.

aqua_duck

Coach
Does it really matter if the stories are made up by journalists, or if they are legitimate like Cheika phoning Ponga himself to talk about his future? It will be a huge distraction to both the player and the club to have this matter hanging around.

There’s also every possibility that I could end up somewhat damaging Ponga’s brand- fans are going to be sick of seeing his name in every second article, especially when it has nothing to do with his footy on the field.

And because Andre has now said that they won’t be signing a contract until the current one ends, you can expect every day over the next two and a half years for there to be articles on the topic. Every single day will feel like a slow news day. If all the crap of the last week has been painful to follow, just imagine that happening until 2021.

I can respect the values that his parents hold and have instilled in him, but it isn’t making life easy for the club.
I think you missed my point, the fact is whatever we do lazy journos are going to make up stories to sell papers. Fact is he's still got 2.5 years left on his current deal with a player option for another year so potentially 3.5 years left, that's a longer duration than 80% of contracts in the NRL.
This is similar to the party culture story which once again was something that journos made up based on the fact the playing group had organised a birthday party but it sells so lazy journos are going to continue to pull stories out of their arses because that's a lot easier than finding actual stories

Yosh

Coach
It happens in every professional sport and in fact the NRL its not even that severe. Any publicity is good publicity. I think it'll get plenty of butts on seats and we are gonna have to get used to it as a club. Good players will always have journos following and if we have lots of these players, we need to learn to deal with these distractions.

Burwood

Bench
I think you missed my point, the fact is whatever we do lazy journos are going to make up stories to sell papers. Fact is he's still got 2.5 years left on his current deal with a player option for another year so potentially 3.5 years left, that's a longer duration than 80% of contracts in the NRL.
This is similar to the party culture story which once again was something that journos made up based on the fact the playing group had organised a birthday party but it sells so lazy journos are going to continue to pull stories out of their arses because that's a lot easier than finding actual stories

So do you think there’d be the same amount of speculation about his future in tomorrow’s paper if he were to sign a contract extension today? It would all pretty much disappear, and only poke its head through again when the 2023 rugby World Cup approached. Even that speculation would be reduced because rugby would know that he signed the extension to take him out beyond any chance of making the World Cup. Sure, the odd clickbait article would be written, but nothing like we have at the moment.

Instead, we’re left with a situation where the club has been forced today to come out and release a quite forceful press statement telling rugby to back off.

I’m not concerned about Ponga’s integrity or the possibility of him leaving the club, but the constant distraction to him and the playing group is far from ideal.

TheFrog

Coach
I mean firstly he's got 2.5 years to go on his contract
Ask yourself, what is he on? He was brought in as a kid with potential. Now ask yourself what is he worth today? The NRL's laws don't apply to other sports, there's nothing stopping rugby signing him now, to commence in November 2021. They need a star signing to replace Israel Folou. Other NRL clubs will be making plans as well. The Knights are hoping to save cap space and keep him as well, but if they don't act now, they may find they lose him. in the long run.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Ask yourself, what is he on? He was brought in as a kid with potential. Now ask yourself what is he worth today? The NRL's laws don't apply to other sports, there's nothing stopping rugby signing him now, to commence in November 2021. They need a star signing to replace Israel Folou. Other NRL clubs will be making plans as well. The Knights are hoping to save cap space and keep him as well, but if they don't act now, they may find they lose him. in the long run.
I would have been proactive however if theyre not ready then theyre not ready and the family has come out saying theyre not ready to look at re-signing or negotiating. I think to push an extension would be detrimental to the cause.

Keep him and his family happy and I think Ponga will stay. He's building a home in Newy, his family are settled and he would no doubt be making lots of friends and building relationships over the next couple of years which makes it harder to leave. Being in Newcastle hasnt had a detrimental effect on getting any sponsorship or media deals so .....why leave?

The only way I see he would think about leaving is if he had an ambition to play Rugby or was filthy about Newcastle.

TheFrog

Coach
So do you think there’d be the same amount of speculation about his future in tomorrow’s paper if he were to sign a contract extension today?
Which is why the Knights should offer him what he is worth. If he doesn't accept it, chances are he's leaving when his contract is up.

Yosh

Coach

Isn't he an All Balck anymore ay?

Spot On

Coach

Club has done as much as it can. It is up to Ponga and his parents now.

They are driving the bus here... and there is absolutely no need to do a thing at the moment in their view.

Newcastle need to make hay while the sun shines re a Premiership.