What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Honestly he’s that much better than anyone else in the team it’s almost like a first grader playing with park footballers. He was clearly hurt tonight and still by far and away our best and threatening player to the point where he’s making line breaks from beating 2 or 3 defenders on his own and there’s not a single team mate within the same postcode to support him. People compare him to Reece Walsh, the difference is when Walsh makes half a break he’s got guys like Mam, Staggs, Cobbo, etc in support, when Ponga makes a break the closest person there (besides the opposition) is usually the ref or touch judge
Clearly something is wrong with our cap.

Look at line-up at the Rorters, yet we had to let Barnett go, couldnt afford to keep Young. The contrast to the Rorters is stark.

AOB just doesnt have the stock to work with, and we are wasting Ponga's career. I wouldnt hold it against him if he moved on after this contract.

Rod

Bench
Barnett got a great offer from the Warriors when they were a bit of a rabble. Overpaying for guys like him is how you get into cap trouble in the first place.

I also don't think the Roosters squad is *that* great. They could be 2-4 just as easily as we are and are going to lose more blokes this coming off-season.

If the estimated figures are correct then DSaf is probably the only one in our squad being clearly overpaid, although it would be interesting to know what Cogger is on...

aqua_duck

Coach

Look at line-up at the Rorters, yet we had to let Barnett go, couldnt afford to keep Young. The contrast to the Rorters is stark.

AOB just doesnt have the stock to work with, and we are wasting Ponga's career. I wouldnt hold it against him if he moved on after this contract.
Not having adequate talent is one thing but IMO what is letting us down even more is losing in the effort areas like line speed, kick chase and support play.

Woody90

Juniors

Third party money mate. It’s well documented their squad is on well over the cap. We’re always going to struggle in that department being a club in a small market.

Other than DSaf I don’t think there’s anyone in the squad that’s on significantly over their worth. Apparently we signed Pryce on a lot of money but I’m ok with it as being a regional team without pulling power we need to take risks like that sometimes like we did with KP.

I actually don’t think our squads that bad or poorly balanced. We obviously need another enforcing prop in place of DSaf and a better 5/8. Hopefully Pryce can become the latter but I’m not convinced.

Coaching is my bigger concern as none of our problems this year have been to lack of talent. It’s the fundamentals.

Apey

Staff member
Honestly he’s that much better than anyone else in the team it’s almost like a first grader playing with park footballers. He was clearly hurt tonight and still by far and away our best and threatening player to the point where he’s making line breaks from beating 2 or 3 defenders on his own and there’s not a single team mate within the same postcode to support him. People compare him to Reece Walsh, the difference is when Walsh makes half a break he’s got guys like Mam, Staggs, Cobbo, etc in support, when Ponga makes a break the closest person there (besides the opposition) is usually the ref or touch judge
Can kick further and better than all our halves options too, except maybe cross field chips.

perverse

Referee
Listening to the magic sponge podcast (nrl physio)

he says minor miracle if ponga is back in less than 6 weeks, but suspects it could be up to 4-6months
Well, in case anyone was still holding out hope, that should be the final nail in our miserable coffin.

Old dog

Bench
If he is out long term then I hope we play Armstrong at f/b especially with Sharp out inj.
Dont want Gagai at f/b as we need him at centre or wing if use Lucas.

Knight Tales

Bench
Just give him the year off. Honestly if we cannot make the finals why would you even consider it. It is just appalling he has been allowed to play in his current condition. Toughest kid in the game.
Will Pryce is not ready but it would be great if he proved everyone wrong and then some.

Woody90

Juniors
Wonderful.

So we weren’t going to make the finals anyway and now AOB gets to use the excuse of Ponga being out.

Have to wonder if the hip pain contributed to the foot injury as he clearly wasn’t able to run right from the get go. AOB and whoever on the medical team allowed him to play need to be sacked. Absolutely negligent. I don’t care how hard he pushed to play. You’re the coach, tell him no FFS.

Latest posts