What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

aqua_duck

Coach
So do you think there’d be the same amount of speculation about his future in tomorrow’s paper if he were to sign a contract extension today? It would all pretty much disappear, and only poke its head through again when the 2023 rugby World Cup approached. Even that speculation would be reduced because rugby would know that he signed the extension to take him out beyond any chance of making the World Cup. Sure, the odd clickbait article would be written, but nothing like we have at the moment.

Instead, we’re left with a situation where the club has been forced today to come out and release a quite forceful press statement telling rugby to back off.

I’m not concerned about Ponga’s integrity or the possibility of him leaving the club, but the constant distraction to him and the playing group is far from ideal.
Mate when we signed him before his contract he commenced there were stories about him reneging even after the cooling off period was over.
I actually think Gardner has played it well, I think they'll end up using the 'approach' from the ARU to leverage the NRL into helping retain Ponga

Noname36

First Grade
Guys chill. I know it’s natural after so many years of incompetence we endured, but has our administration done one thing in the past 3-4 years to suggest that they won’t do the right thing here? They’re f**king smart operators.

Ponga is happy. It’s clear as day, how many times does he need to say it. It’s also clear that having a good life outside of the field is something that is a huge priority for him and it’s something the club encourage for him. It’s clear that all our blokes are in a good environment. Don’t ever underestimate the impact of someone like Pearce or Klemmer leaving the clubs that would have been our biggest competitors and finding peace up here. He has a good relationship with Brown as well which I understand was another of the issues up in NQ. His progression here is more than even I could have dreamed and he keeps learning so his footy here has certainly not been stunted either.

If he leaves it will only be after the club did absolutely everything they could to keep him and we couldn’t have done anything more.

Yosh

Coach
Showed his quality in a bad team performance. He just needs the ball more but our forwards didn't do enough for us today. We were never on the front foot.

Old dog

Bench
If Ponga wants to leave or stay not much we can do about it as long as we make the right offers, within reason, and he is happy and club is going good then more likely he stays if he decides to leave it will be factors out of our control such as huge dollars, rugby union calling. I say settle back and enjoy him while we have him be it two years or ten.
We cannot afford him if his cost is so high that we can’t keep a competitive team around him.

Burwood

Bench
I’m not concerned about Ponga staying or going- what happens, happens. But if he doesn’t sign an extension with the club before 2021, we are going to have 2 years of destabilising and distracting stories the media.

I understand that the media will speculate even if he does sign an extension, but it will be about 1/100th as much compared to now.

And you can hardly compare it to a few years back when he first signed with us- back then we had just won 3 wooden spoons and he had the GOAT in Thurston in his ear plus in the papers telling him how terrible the move would be. Forward to now, and he’s an established player at the club, he’s our marquee and we have a team that has the potential to challenge for the title. Completely different circumstances.

Again, I’m not saying that he has to go out tomorrow, or even this year, and sign the extension with Newcastle. It’s great that he and Andre have made clear they are happy with the current contract and want to honour it. But until he puts pen to paper and actually signs something for 2021 and beyond, all we are going to hear in the media is constant speculation about his future.

Alex28

Coach
Kalyn just had a presser for QLD. Asked half a dozen questions about rugby - same response.

“I don’t want to talk about that”

Not exactly ruling it out...

Knight Vision

First Grade
Kalyn just had a presser for QLD. Asked half a dozen questions about rugby - same response.

“I don’t want to talk about that”

Not exactly ruling it out...
Yeh I noticed that. Have to wonder how on earth these "managers " earn their money as the players are poorly managed most of the time. A simple declaration of "I love league, I hope to be a 1 club player" would have eased speculation and headlines for the next 2 years.

It doesnt have to be true, just what is needed to be said at this moment in time.

I also noticed he said that he considers himself a "new zealander / queenslander " .....which is hardly putting an end to the ongoing media circus.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Hey your False God in Maroon will see out his contract, wants to win a premiership, start for the Kangaroos.

Then turn Full Demon start a Hurricane and wear Black, All Black.

Port Headland, that's in Queensland.

Haffa

Hey your False God in Maroon will see out his contract, wants to win a premiership, start for the Kangaroos.

Then turn Full Demon start a Hurricane and wear Black, All Black.

Port Headland, that's in Queensland.
So he's a lot like Val?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Val was always a false idol to those in the know. Jets or Cowboys can have him, great winger, thinks he is a spine player, he is not. Ponga is.

Apey

Staff member
https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2019/06/22/pongas-knights-goal-and-10-year-origin-dream/

Ponga's Knights goal and 10-year Origin dream
Author
Newcastle Knights
Timestamp
Sat 22 Jun 2019, 05:59 PM

Kalyn Ponga is chasing some big dreams.

Speaking to Peter Badel from the Courier Mail, Ponga revealed he dreams of lifting the premiership trophy with the nib Newcastle Knights.

After weeks of speculation over his long-term future, the livewire has paid tribute to the game of rugby league.

“I haven’t really done anything in rugby league yet,” Ponga said.

“I’m still learning about being professional. I still have heaps of room for improvement.

ponga-k-190315113sm.jpg

“It’s 100 per cent my goal to win a premiership with the Knights. That’s why you hammer yourself for four months.

“No-one goes through pre-season to come last. I always want to win.

“Rugby league has taught me a lot. It has shaped who I am. It has become a part of my life.”

Ponga is under contract with the Knights until at least 2021, but that hasn’t stopped pockets of the media speculating on Ponga’s future.

McDonald's Future Champions with Edrick Lee

Asked whether he’s like to wear the Maroon for Queensland for the next 10-years, Ponga responded; “That would be nice for me to achieve.”

Since making his State of Origin debut last year, Ponga feels at home in the representative arena.

“The culture of the Queensland team is what I love most. Family means everything to me after what I’ve been through (the passing of his brother Kacey as a toddler) and so the family aspect is huge,” he said.

“This Queensland side is not just a footy family, it’s like a real sense of family for me.

“Being in camp before Game One this year ... it really taught me what this team means and what being a Queenslander is all about.”

Yosh

Coach
Very random but I remember watching a video on YouTube a few years back about some kid who was the future of rugby. He was wearing headgear and was tearing it apart with some ferocious footwork. I was just thinking back and I think that kid was Ponga.

Can't believe how good it is with got the lad. Anyone know of the vid I'm talking about?

Yosh

Coach

I think this is it!! It is Ponga. Plays exactly the same with the same smile and enthusiasm.

Latest posts