What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ponting cricket?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I bought the PC version, good game, just a shame it didnt work on my computer, taking it back.

Front-Rower

First Grade
It was supposed to come out today but was released Tuesday because EB broke the release date.

Not to keen on this game, looks like something that would be shown on Cartoon Network. Plays too quick, commentary, whilst inovative with 2 main commentators and 3 expert commentators, its very boring and uninspiring, not even Bill Lawry fires up.

Back to EA Cricket 2005 for mine.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Played it for a few hours now and would just give a little points about the game.

Firstly, it is very different to every other cricket games since I can remember through the game play.

Gameplay is pretty good, bowling is good and you are often rewarded for just good line and length. Batting takes a bit of getting used to but its nice. The only downfall is I think strokeplay is real limited, Im yet to see some good backfoot hook and cut shots on the ground (havent played for long though remember).

Commentary is great. Its realistic. They often go on talking about random things like the greatest ever side and topics like reverse swing and Don Bradman - just like real commentators do.

Umpires are good , seem to make all the correct calls.

The real dissapointment is other than in the ICC tournaments all the players are fake like Simon Kattech and Shane Boind and Darren Leymer. However in ICC events they are real names and use the real bats they use in the game. and also there is no autoplay or go forward mode so u actually have to bowl the side out if u want to complete the match

Anyway the main thing is the gameplay and Im yet to make a decision to weather its real good, its definetly different which is a good thing as it is way different to EA 2002 , 2004 and 2005 which all run similar lines.

Ill say more when I know more, at the moment though Batting just seems real limited on shots , probably cause I havent mastered any of the others.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I got it working last night, but its a disappointment IMO, why would a game like that use fake names? And some of the grounds dont even look like the real ones.

Gameplay and commentary are ok, but the rest is sh*tthouse.

I thought this wouldve been a similar one to SWC99, but its in fact a shocker. I'd rather Cricket 2005, and that aint much better.

Front-Rower

First Grade
PARRA_FAN said:
I got it working last night, but its a disappointment IMO, why would a game like that use fake names? And some of the grounds dont even look like the real ones.

Gameplay and commentary are ok, but the rest is sh*tthouse.

I thought this wouldve been a similar one to SWC99, but its in fact a shocker. I'd rather Cricket 2005, and that aint much better.

The blokes who made SWC99 (even though codemasters produced the game) are now working for EA Sports. I think the EA guys are on the right track and so are codemasters.

Ponting cricket's bowling controls are innovative to say the least and the EA batting controls are far superior to the Ponting game....Maybe a mixture of both would create a far better simulation of cricket.

nöyd

Staff member
It uses fake names because only the World Cup and ICC Tournament is fully licensed. If you play those modes you will have the proper names and some players even use the proper bats, but only in those licensed modes.

There is a site that has released a roster that gives players their proper names in unlicensed matches though.

http://planetcricket.net

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Has anyone played classic match yet
trying to survive 10 overs of Larwood and Voce was a challenge

Voce kept getting me with the late inswinger, deadset how did u pick that

theicemandanno

Juniors
Have the game on Xbox.....and to some it up in one statement it is the best cricket game ever.

Just on the fake name thing....it is so easy to go through the names and correct them in the team editor. The only thing is you cant change their appearance to that found in the ICC tournaments. (How lifelike do guys like Bichel and Symonds look!)

Played a multiplayer tournament with my mates last night after the grand final, AWESOME. Its great that in the field, one player bowls and the other is responsible for the catching/throwing controls....All the hard work you do bowling for your mate to drop a catch made for some fun arguments.

This is a top game....and to consider that it is v1.0, unlike EA Cricket 2005, just makes it an even more remarkable game.

Paullyboy

Coach
Im wondering the same thing, i definately wont buy EA 05 on xbox coz you cant save in game - and I would like a cricket game.

So I guess I will.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Paullyboy said:
Im wondering the same thing, i definately wont buy EA 05 on xbox coz you cant save in game - and I would like a cricket game.

So I guess I will.

can u save in the middle of RP?
ive never realyl checked

Paullyboy

Coach
Well I went and bought Ricky Ponting, and all I can say is if EA is worse than this........ouch.

There really is a lot of simple things that just arent included in this game which really lets it down. Its probably going to be a bit of fun, but its lifespan is going to be very short im picking - which is a shame because there is a long summer ahead.

Front-Rower

First Grade
EA's game is no where near as bad. Infact its lightyears ahead. The only thing worthy of mention in RPIC is the bowling and catching/throwing metres.

steven_tiger

Juniors
i bought RP and i love it.

few little things that annoy me such as the fielders never throwing to the bowlers end, the batsmen hardly ever take singles when they hit it to the outfield if there is a fielder there, and the names arnet official (easily changed).

overall a fun game - big fan of the classic matches, they are awesome. expecially how any game played before the 1970's is in black and white and they wear buttoned up shirts. it's a great touch.